Petrol Cap stuck shut!

gordybaillie

Jan 5, 2006
Dunfermline - Scotland
Went to the petrol station today and couldnt get my petrol cap open!

The little clip thing inside was locked shut but my car was turned off and doors shut etc so it shouldnt have been locked shut!

WHy did it do this???
HELP!

I managed to get it open but only by ripping the cap open and bending the clip :cry:
But had to coz car was running in the red

CupraTgirl

Model Behaviour
Nov 8, 2002
England
Visit site
gordybaillie said:
Went to the petrol station today and couldnt get my petrol cap open!

The little clip thing inside was locked shut but my car was turned off and doors shut etc so it shouldnt have been locked shut!

WHy did it do this???
HELP!

I managed to get it open but only by ripping the cap open and bending the clip :cry:
But had to coz car was running in the red

What do you mean the clip was locked shut? You have to unscrew the bit inside?

Crafoo

Crazy Fool!
Apr 30, 2005
At home
Happened many times to me and there are stacks of similar threads on here covering the matter, there is an emergency cord in the boot which you are supposed to pull although when I have tried it breaks and leaves you in the same position only even more pi$$ed off.

Crafoo

Crazy Fool!
Apr 30, 2005
At home
My mind is wandering towards a pub lunch at this time and i'm not thinking straight. Sorry all :doh:

CupraTgirl

Model Behaviour
Nov 8, 2002
England
Visit site
gordybaillie said:
sorry my fault, its the actual flap (the outside bodypart)
not the screw (plug bit) inside

Got me?? coz i havent lol

That makes sense now ;)

I dont know how you forced that open to be honest as they lock VERY tight?

Crafoo

Crazy Fool!
Apr 30, 2005
At home
So I was right all along then :dance: makes a change hehehe, i'm still going to the pub though.

But yeah there is an emergency cord in the boot which you are supposed to pull to free the locking mechanism but I have tried and never has it worked for me, snapped on many an ocassion though. It's a great idea as it gives you some false hope for a short period of time, it's almost like trying to open a can of pudding but breaking the ring pull so the pudding is trapped inside forever.

gordybaillie

Jan 5, 2006
Dunfermline - Scotland
haha cheers mate, wish i had know that, kinda day im having it probly wuda snapped tho lol

Yeh it was kinda hard to get it open but i was desparate and ended up bending the clip a little

Why does this lock tho???

CupraTgirl

Model Behaviour
Nov 8, 2002
England
Visit site
gordybaillie said:
haha cheers mate, wish i had know that, kinda day im having it probly wuda snapped tho lol

Yeh it was kinda hard to get it open but i was desparate and ended up bending the clip a little

Why does this lock tho???

I wonder whether the car just did not register that it was unlocked for some reason? So the syncro kind of went out of, well sync?

Crafoo

Crazy Fool!
Apr 30, 2005
At home
It just jams for no real reason seemed to be worse when it gets cold for me, happened to me when I was on the redline too, very annoying and you look like a **** when you are stood at the petrol station and can't open your own filler cap.

Crafoo

Crazy Fool!
Apr 30, 2005
At home
First I would try locking and unlocking a bunch of times just to see if it free's itself up but if the worst comes to the worst then you can completely take the metal rod out which is the thing that locks the filler cap shut.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.