Picked up new motor today!!!

villa chris

Jul 4, 2015
Picked up my leon fr 2.0tsi 190 dsg in magnetic grey and what a cracker.
Only disappointment was no paddles and been told it was a misbuild and should have them which I'm currently trying to sort out.
The engine is very willing and very torquey.
The dsg box is delightfull.
Had a previous fr184 manual a few years which was great,but this petrol engine is so good and smooth.not really properly opened it up yet.(gotta run her in).
Only had the 17s with it,but gonna use them as winter wheels and get some aftermarket ones when warmer weather starts to come.
Really glad I've come back to seat ownership and really missed owning one.drives like a dream compared to my previous focus st.
Will put some pics up when it stops raining!!!

Leeoncupra

Feb 12, 2017
Halesowen
Picked up my leon fr 2.0tsi 190 dsg in magnetic grey and what a cracker.
Only disappointment was no paddles and been told it was a misbuild and should have them which I'm currently trying to sort out.
The engine is very willing and very torquey.
The dsg box is delightfull.
Had a previous fr184 manual a few years which was great,but this petrol engine is so good and smooth.not really properly opened it up yet.(gotta run her in).
Only had the 17s with it,but gonna use them as winter wheels and get some aftermarket ones when warmer weather starts to come.
Really glad I've come back to seat ownership and really missed owning one.drives like a dream compared to my previous focus st.
Will put some pics up when it stops raining!!!
What previous st did you have?

leon mk1 cupra

sweetfr

Misty
Nov 24, 2007
Co Durham
Hi villa Chris. We picked up our 2.0 FR 190 tsi dsg in mystery blue with styling pack (rear spoiler and side skirts) last week. Apparently cars built between weeks 31 and 46 were misbuilds and had no paddles fitted. Our car was built week 50 and I am pleased to say it has paddles. We are also thinking about changing the 17 inch wheels probably to 18s. Will post some pics later. Hope you get the paddles sorted out.

sweetfr

Misty
Nov 24, 2007
Co Durham
Hi seriously. Thanks yes loving the car at the moment. It’s our first petrol for some time and first ever dsg. Yes we did read the thread a couple months ago and really feel for the people who have missing paddles. Hope they can get their cars sorted. But it did make us aware when ordering ours and asked the salesman to check the car had paddles (the car was at port) before we committed ourselves.

villa chris

Jul 4, 2015
I only purchased the st a few months back and tbh I don't think previous owner had looked after it very well.
I reckon it was thrashed around a lot.
It was great fun to drive and made a great engine noise but you could feel every bump in the road.
It was well built but with my two kids and the car only doing 22mpg it was time to get rid.
My missus has recently passed her test but can only drive auto hence why we went for the dsg.
Dropping 60bhp down to the Leon didn't really bother me tbh but with the Leon being a lot lighter I don't think it would be a million miles away.
If I had wanted something faster I would had gone for the cupra but 190 is plenty enough for me.
It really is a good engine and so smooth and slick to drive.im very impressed.
It still feels stiff but it's gonna.only got 40 miles on the clock lol!!!
Regarding paddles I didn't realise till I got home but I am going to demand them to be fitted when they ring me Monday as the official seat brochure states that they should be on there.

Leeoncupra

Feb 12, 2017
Halesowen
I only purchased the st a few months back and tbh I don't think previous owner had looked after it very well.
I reckon it was thrashed around a lot.
It was great fun to drive and made a great engine noise but you could feel every bump in the road.
It was well built but with my two kids and the car only doing 22mpg it was time to get rid.
My missus has recently passed her test but can only drive auto hence why we went for the dsg.
Dropping 60bhp down to the Leon didn't really bother me tbh but with the Leon being a lot lighter I don't think it would be a million miles away.
If I had wanted something faster I would had gone for the cupra but 190 is plenty enough for me.
It really is a good engine and so smooth and slick to drive.im very impressed.
It still feels stiff but it's gonna.only got 40 miles on the clock lol!!!
Regarding paddles I didn't realise till I got home but I am going to demand them to be fitted when they ring me Monday as the official seat brochure states that they should be on there.
Thats fair enough mate was just curious as i thought the mk3 st feels more premium than previous gen fords my diesel does 39.7mpg city and will easily hit 60mpg on a run and costs 20quid to tax so for a family daily its brilliant

I consider the 190 also as the tuning potential is really good as its a detuned gti so a stage 1 remap would offer huge gains alone

Good purchase you have their as the 1.8tsi engine is not rated atall

leon mk1 cupra

villa chris

Jul 4, 2015
For the moment I'm just gonna add some better wheels and a few exterior touches but power wise I'm not touching it for a bit yet untill warranty runs out.
That's another reason why I chose this engine,the potential for extra power these engines can make is huge like you said.
Don't get me wrong I'm not knocking the ford because it was so much fun to drive but I do think I fell on a bad one which is not unusual buying pre used.(should have done my homework before buying).
I paid 14k for it and I've just sold it for just under 12k which I'm fairly pleased with.
It's on my drive still at the moment and need to keep an eye on it as these things get stole quite often.lol!!!!

Leeoncupra

Feb 12, 2017
Halesowen
For the moment I'm just gonna add some better wheels and a few exterior touches but power wise I'm not touching it for a bit yet untill warranty runs out.
That's another reason why I chose this engine,the potential for extra power these engines can make is huge like you said.
Don't get me wrong I'm not knocking the ford because it was so much fun to drive but I do think I fell on a bad one which is not unusual buying pre used.(should have done my homework before buying).
I paid 14k for it and I've just sold it for just under 12k which I'm fairly pleased with.
It's on my drive still at the moment and need to keep an eye on it as these things get stole quite often.lol!!!!
Damn straight they do

Mines obd immobilised and has a disklok and 2 cctv cameras pointing at it

Someone tried to steal it but couldn't so they put the windows through

leon mk1 cupra

andye1

Oct 15, 2005
How are you getting on with the 190 Dsg? How is it on fuel? Im going to look at one on Friday. Currently got an 184 manual fr which has been a great car. The one Im looking at is fully loaded with everything including digital dash.

sweetfr

Misty
Nov 24, 2007
Co Durham
Hi andye1. We moved from a 184 manual. Great car. Absolutely loved it. It was a major decision to move to a petrol. Still getting used to the dsg. Not tried it in sport mode yet. Only had the car less than 2 weeks so still building the mileage up. Presently has 350 miles on the clock. Did 100 mile round trip the other day on mainly A roads no dual carriage/motorways. This included going through Darlington and Durham city traffic. When we got back the average fuel consumption was just over 44 mpg. So not too bad. On the same route with the 184 it would have been about 55 to 60 mpg. If your car is second hand make sure it has the paddles. We test drove 2 FR’s from different dealers and neither had the paddles.

andye1

Oct 15, 2005
Thanks for the quick reply. It says in the description that it has the paddles so I will definitely check. That's not too bad on fuel for such a new engine. Still unsure about changing as I like 184 but this is such a well specced car it would be a shame not consider it.

villa chris

Jul 4, 2015
I also had the 184 tdi previous before my st and even tho still early days fuel is not to bad tbh.like sweetfr said im taking it easy at the moment to run it in properly.not gonna lie I thought the 184 was a cracker but got to admit I do prefer this engine.the 2.0 tsi now has 320nm torque I believe where as the older 1.4 tsi and 1.8 tsi had same torque outputs (250nm).like I said not really drove it hard yet but you don't really have to.dealer rang me yesterday regarding paddles and there's no way they can order me a new wheel so I've had to accept the 250 quid good will gesture.dont get me wrong I would of liked them but it's not the end of the world I suppose lol!!!!

Leeoncupra

Feb 12, 2017
Halesowen
I also had the 184 tdi previous before my st and even tho still early days fuel is not to bad tbh.like sweetfr said im taking it easy at the moment to run it in properly.not gonna lie I thought the 184 was a cracker but got to admit I do prefer this engine.the 2.0 tsi now has 320nm torque I believe where as the older 1.4 tsi and 1.8 tsi had same torque outputs (250nm).like I said not really drove it hard yet but you don't really have to.dealer rang me yesterday regarding paddles and there's no way they can order me a new wheel so I've had to accept the 250 quid good will gesture.dont get me wrong I would of liked them but it's not the end of the world I suppose lol!!!!
Could you buy a wheel with dsg paddles?

leon mk1 cupra

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members