Pilot Sport 4s on front only - cupra 290 2019 DSG

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
Anyone else here tried another non-Michelin or Continental premium tyre up front? Eg..Goodyear Assymetric 5, Dunlop RTs, or the midrange Falken Azenis / Vredestein UVs? Or it's just PS4s or nothing?

Reactions: rob280

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Anyone else here tried another non-Michelin or Continental premium tyre up front? Eg..Goodyear Assymetric 5, Dunlop RTs, or the midrange Falken Azenis / Vredestein UVs? Or it's just PS4s or nothing?

I've got Rainsport 3s on the front of my MK2. They are pretty good tyres (I've usually had full sets). Can't say I've noticed any difference with the PS4s on the rear. But when I get PS4s on the front as well, hopefully I'll be able to see if it's worth the extra.

LR231998

Alor Blue 290 Cupra
Jan 21, 2019
The PS4S is a fantastic tyre I’ve just had two put on the front still have the Conti on the back and have no issues. Really reduces wheel hop.

I can’t see why having the better tyres on the front of a FWD car is an issue or why people would go against doing it?

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
I can’t see why having the better tyres on the front of a FWD car is an issue or why people would go against doing it?

I think the confusion is, the recommendation for new tyres on the rear assumes you change your tyres when eg theirs 2mm left. So it's not so much about what brands you use. More about you'd be better having 2mm front/8mm rear than 8mm front/2mm rear. Although I change mine at 3mm anyways.

LouG

Dec 1, 2017
Nelson, New Zealand
Slightly off topic, but I've just bitten the bullet and bought a set of PS4S's. I got sick of wheel spin every time I used half throttle from the lights with the Conti 5P's.
They're not bedded in yet, but so far they're quieter and smoother. They dampen the harshness from sharp bumps and ripples. They're too new to give best feel yet, but once past the on centre mushiness, there is real sharp turn in grip.

Peller

Mar 29, 2016
Edinburgh
Hi all,

Im having 2 ps4s put on the front on friday to hopefully reduce the awful wheel hop issue. Only done 6k miles and the fronts are shot already! Backs are fine though, hardly any wear at all.

Since the backs are fine, I’m not changing them. I’m aware the ps4s should hopefully provide more grip than the standard conti’s, but will the different grip levels on the front to the back cause issues or make it dangerous? I dont throw it round corners, more pinning it off roundabouts and in straight lines.

This is on a cupra 290 2019 dsg hatch.

Thanks
I've done the exact thing as yourself. The power through the front wheels do deserve the grip from the PS4. My stock rear Conti's were still at 6mm so there was no chance of replacing them!

It looks a bit odd looking at the difference that folk are quoting them.The PS4s do provide a bit more grip but in general use I've not found much difference to be honest. I still have wheel hop etc.

To be honest they are not as much as they're cracked up to be on FWD car, yes they are 'grippier' than the stock Continentals but I found nothing in them for daily driving.

Reactions: rob280
SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise