Pipe to airbox question

Mick288

Aug 3, 2009
Lisburn NI
Ive removed the airbox on my FR tdi. Now, there was a small rubber tube that went into the top half of the box.
What is this tube, whats it used for and will it be detrimental to anything just having it hanging there, not attached to anything?

Cheers

Proff_86

Jan 27, 2010
West Midlands
i think your talking about the SAI??
This is the other smaller diameter pipe that goes into the airbox, however im not familiar with the diesel PD engines, this is how it was on my Cupra Petrol, and i put a smaller filter on the end of it rather than leave it open when i junked my airbox in favour of a cone filter

Hope this helps.

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
I think the small pipe is from the crank case breather, it will make some strange noises on cold start, as said, get a small cone filter on the end of it and it will be fine.

There is a pump that sucks oil vapor fromthe engine and then blows it into the air box so that the vapors go through and get burnt off. By fitting a small filter you may get the odd small wiff of oil on start up but that's it

Badger

Dec 2, 2012
Newcastle, Staffs
The OP was originally referring to the vacuum inlet pipe which runs from the airbox to the N75 on the other side of the engine bay.

The other posts refer to the crank case breather.

Which one do you mean?

Aug 1, 2011
It's the return to atmosphere from the n75 / vacuum box on the drivers side strut top.

Some people drill a small hole in the base of the filter and stick it in there, or you could just leave it loose.

Don't block it up, that won't be good! Although if you don't believe me, give it a go!

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.