Platinum FR - wolf in sheeps clothing

bruceR

Apr 11, 2005
Monifieth, Dundee
Since it was a nice day I wash both mine & the Mrs cars. Then a bit more attention to mine was needed - decided to clean up and repaint my front calipers. I'd bought Por15 black caliper kit ages ago and never got round to it but it was east-peasy
First cleaned caliper with wire brush to remove all crap and sprayed with caliper cleaner:
image_zpsatxqiitv.jpeg

image_zpsak4wndbg.jpeg

Then washed with caliper prep - sorry didn't take a photo but safe to say it's just like a degreaser. Washed this off with water and dried then coated with rust preventative:
image_zpsoncw5v6w.jpeg

image_zpsqylmlwtd.jpeg

image_zpsfso1iig6.jpeg

After 30mins (or when the coating is tacky touch dry, it was time for the first of 2 coats of the caliper paint:
image_zpsnhufjyhe.jpeg

image_zpsojuophxy.jpeg

I wasn't sure about the "Porsche" stickers but as the calipers were from a Boxster then it would be rude not to, eh

Took the time to clean the inside of the wheels while they were off, they weren't too bad actually :D
So hopefully the weather will hold up tomorrow and I'll do the rears

bruceR

Apr 11, 2005
Monifieth, Dundee
My driver side rear door has been playing up, sometimes opens after lock-in then not at all [:@]
After reading a few write-ups, I bought a replacement door module off the Bay and set about changing it this afternoon.
I used the write-up from the VW-forums: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?1015107#/topics/1015107?_k=07s0kl
The only bit that was a pain in the rear was refitting the window bushes. I didn't realise the rear window has a hole in it for the bushes :blink: but once I read the manual it made sense.
All back and working as it should :D
Happy days ;)

ps. Item number 281378325435

Last edited:

Thai-wronghorse

Self proclaimed Cupra R addict & butcher!
Dec 3, 2015
Kent
Evening mate, I was just wondering if you'd managed to complete the wiring on that mk5 Golf auto headlight switch?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

bruceR

Apr 11, 2005
Monifieth, Dundee
Replaced some of the vacuum hoses with blue 4mm ID silicone hose, gave her a good wash then washed the missus car as well :D
16C953B4-E992-47FC-BE86-498C5D2CF677_zpsnyjy1wfn.jpg

4BC84548-120D-46C7-8B08-85EB66CD3BA3_zps4bmyovny.jpg

CAAEAA5E-D466-40F3-A626-1BDA03BBAA83_zps0ndjdvwb.jpg

Last edited:

bruceR

Apr 11, 2005
Monifieth, Dundee
Just went trough the thread. I'm with you, lot's of great ideas.

Thank you for sharing! :p

Always a good feeling when fellow members leave great comments, if I've inspired you then that's great but if I've emptied you're pockets with more wish-list ideas then hey.......blame Seat for not doing the work in the first place :p:lol::lol:

bruceR

Apr 11, 2005
Monifieth, Dundee
Car passed MOT with no advisory note :D, well pleased as the drivers door module is playing up now & then :banned:
Weather not too bad so decided to replace the lock module, now got it down to 2 hours completed (including resealing the metal carrier). Will replace the passenger lock module at the weekend and that will be all four done and sealed :D

Done the last of the four door lock modules today, all doors sealed properly as well using butyl tape ;)

Last edited:

bruceR

Apr 11, 2005
Monifieth, Dundee
Followed a thread on here for changing the S3 air vents handles back to my original FR grey ones:
image_zpsteowjywu.jpeg

image_zpspmzbrwkq.jpeg

image_zpsvr78eena.jpeg

It's basically a case of popping out the centre handle/vane using a small thin screwdriver, use the same to prise apart the handle (it's in 2 parts which sandwich the vane), replace with the FR handle and use a teeny dot of superglue to secure the 2 halves - not too much as you will stick the handle to the vane and won't be able to move vent from side-to-side.
**on a side note, I had to file down the raised bit on each of the S3 vanes to allow them to fit easily into my FR handles.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.