Platinum Grey Leon FR TDI Hybrid - The End!

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
Better pictures now up. Hmmm from my hours of cleaning missed the drivers footwell argh!

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
Arbs R Us!

Anti Roll Bars
----
Having done the suspension and getting a good set of tyres to match, there was always something missing. I noticed it more especially since I had the pleasure of being driven in probably the best two Leon TDIs on this forum - Slick (Rodger) and Unclefester (Pat).

When going around roundabouts and long sweeping bends the car was losing traction sooner and more sudden than Slicks and Festers. The reasons for this were that more weight where going on the outside tires and less weight on the inside tyres which caused the car to lose/reduce traction suddenly.

Results
----
Traction, Stability and predictability!

First thing you notice when you drive off is how much more stable the car is when turning. When the car was standard, I showed Pat the limit of the car when coming off the exit of a large round about. As Pat described it, "the cars rear end wanted to play games". With the ARBs on the same exit and same bend the car was so much more controlled, predictable and glued to the road! I was like WOW they actually do make a difference.

I simply cannot believe how essential the ARBs are to the Leon!

Part No
----
Eibach ARB Kit 25mm 40-85-005-01-11
http://eibach.com

Pictures
----
Car when being lifted up before surgary (she was scared as you can see)
LeonFRARBS2.JPG

Old front ARB doesnt look upto much
LeonFRARBS3.JPG

Thicker Eibach front Eibach Arb looks purposeful
LeonFRARBS4.JPG

Rear ARB (excuse the weeds - weed killer will sort those :) )
LeonFRARBS7.JPG

Last edited:

sheffboy

avoiding potholes
May 25, 2007
Jonjay. how's the ride with the H&R kit on? would be really intrested to know as i was going to take the FSD route next month.
Where i live the roads are terrible and i'm sick of the standard set up bouncing and crashing over the potholes. Does the new setup feel more controlled over the rough stuff?

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
Hi Sheffboy with the H&Rs on there own without the Anti Roll Bar Kit they are superb over the bumps on the road as they dampen them really well. However if you are looking for more of a smoother ride the FSD's may be better for you.

sheffboy

avoiding potholes
May 25, 2007
Thanks for the advice mate.
Nothing worse than spending your hard earned then realising it was a mistake. :(

Many thanks.

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
Thanks for the advice mate.
Nothing worse than spending your hard earned then realising it was a mistake. :(

Many thanks.
I love H&R and everyone knows I preach by them however if your in an area that has really crap roads and even the standard suspension is annoying you then the more sporty / better handling H&Rs probably arn't the best option over the FSDs.

daveyonthemove

Smile if you like SEAT's
May 14, 2006
Wrexham
Have any of you Super TDI boys got sound clips of the mufflerectomy?
I'm eying up some Tips (oval shape seems nicest) and wondering what silencer to go for. All help appreciated.
Dave

daveyonthemove

Smile if you like SEAT's
May 14, 2006
Wrexham
Cheers Slick.
Pat PM'd me a link to his so i will check it out when i'm on my home PC. If you don't mind putting a link for yours too, that would be great.
Dave

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
Would be good to show what sound difference is between CAI and Standard Airbox with Panel Filter. Slick next time your round mine or we meet somewhere i'll remind you so you can record it on your phone.

slick

Bit of an animal
Mar 15, 2005
Essex
Would be good to show what sound difference is between CAI and Standard Airbox with Panel Filter. Slick next time your round mine or we meet somewhere i'll remind you so you can record it on your phone.

Yes Sir!:D

Only thing is, its really hard to get the sound to record at an audiable level on the camera!
Although i can catch the idle "Darth Vader" effect pretty well from the front grill!! :starwars:

daveyonthemove

Smile if you like SEAT's
May 14, 2006
Wrexham
Cheers guys,
I'll have a look/listen to them when i get home tonight. Looking to book mine in for the exhaust upgrade next month, so now's the time to start doing some homework on it.
Dave

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
Leather cleaner

Leather Care
----
Steering wheel started to get a little "used" to my liking. I have previously been applying Autoglym leather cleaner and cream however never really been that impressed. My dad a long time ago purchased some very expensive leather restorer from QVC and remembered the amazing results so I went searching for something similar.

In Tesco's whilst doing my weekly shop, I came across Lord Sheraton Leather Balsam. It was £2 quid and thought "feck it" if its crap its crap...To my surprise its done an amazing job! Really has cleaned and restored the leather on the steering wheel and gearstick very well!

HIGH RECOMMENDED....also used it on some white trainers and worked a treat :)

leatherbalm.jpg

leathercloth.jpg

Last edited:

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
Just an update, yes on the cloth that is dirt! I thought it was the leather losing its colour but it isnt...

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
My 1st RR :)

I had the pleasure of going on a rolling road with 24 SCN members on Saturday at Rapid Chariots in Kent . I met up with 6 members at lakeside and we all embarked on quite a fun road trip meeting the rest on J6 M2.

I must say the drive on the B roads to Rapid Chariots was so so fun! :) However the drive back on the narrowest country roads i ever been on was scary!

There was quite mixed results on the rollers there so by no means am I saying my figures are accurate (dyno lottery). I always though the only way your going to get a half decent figure is if you go to 3 different RR's and take an average. You can go to Rototest VPA-R dyno system which will give you very accurate results which i may just do once I am remapped. That costs £100 for an hour so wont be any time soon.

Here are the results:

RapidChariots-RR-13102007.JPG

Last edited:
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.