Platinum LCR - Dodgy Paint Finish or Rust?!

Jonny

slightly insane monkey
Jul 5, 2005
South Wales
Was out washing the car yesterday and noticed on the leading edge of both rear wheel arches is a bronze / brown colour. I'm hoping it's just a dodgy paint finish & not rust coming through!!! :wtf:

The car has never had any repairs or resprays (I'm the first owner) and it was first registered at the end of 2005, so less than 2 years old.

It feels smooth, and I can't see any bubbling, flaking, roughness or whatever assosiated with surface rust :shrug:

What do you guys think? :confused:

LCR008.jpg

LCR007.jpg

LCR006.jpg

:think:

Jonny

slightly insane monkey
Jul 5, 2005
South Wales
I was hoping that's all it would be :)

Just thought I'd ask as I did actually have what looked like swarf or dust under the paint on my '05 Leon FR (also in platinum) on the passenger rear door, just below the window seal. There were rust bubbles around that :( Got some photo's somewhere...

skidder

BERK! FEED ME
Aug 9, 2006
Aberdeen
I had something similar on my cupra, I put it down to the fact that with no mud flaps etc to stop the muck it builds up in this area as sometimes after a few quick washes you dont get into those hard to reach places. Polished mine last week and it came off no bother and the paint underneath was fine. I should take more time washing the car.

Jonny

slightly insane monkey
Jul 5, 2005
South Wales
It appears to be under the lacquer... I've tried claying it, and I've used Klasse AIO which is apparently a mildly abrasive polish, and I've also used Megs Scratch X (think that's what it's called) but the brown / bronze colour is still there :(

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members