Plato to race new Leon for SEAT in the 2006

andyb

Admin -SCN Canada:)
Aug 29, 2001
Vancouver
www.andyblackmoredesign.com
I hope Turks or Pickford gets the ride. Turks was inconsistant this year, but he's a fine quick driver and still very young. Picky, well I think he's a great driver, really something special, but he just didnt shine this year did he. I do believe a three car team was too much for SEAT this year. Don't forget, this was a new team to the series as well. With Vauxhall off form early in the year, SEAT really should have won it.

....but, how about Reid? Theres experience for you and one of the best tin-topers out there, and he does like to winge,,,which seems a pre-requisit for a BTCC tin-top champion nowadays (Thompson exlcuded)

Jul 17, 2004
West Lothian
I'm hoping Turkington as well, but I'm extremely biased on that one being his webmaster. :p

He'd be a good signing though, he didn't get a good enough car this year to show what he could do. When the car got to tracks like Mondello and Croft, he was blindingly quick and won races. He was quick over a lap (3 poles speak for themselves), but that car was just so horrible to drive, that during a race distance it understeered like mad and destroyed the tyres leaving him unable to get any further up the field. Give him a consistent performing car and he'll win plenty of races with it. VXR were the right team to join, but the wrong time to join them in my opinion. Muller has to be commended for somehow managing to drag a dog of a car into 2nd in the points and all those racewins, as the machine didn't really deserve it. At least with SEAT they have the bonus of a WTCC team who can do all the R&D work to improve the car, therefore getting round the BTCC test ban which hampered VXR last year when they kept turning up at Pembrey on their four allocated test days to find it was peeing it down.

I think I'm going to have to give him a bell when he gets back from Australia (been sightseeing and watching the V8s, lucky bugger!) and see if there's any word on next year. :)

Muzorewa

¡Muchas gracias señores!
Aug 6, 2003
Manchester
Visit site
Good news, and no idea on the second driver, some good names still available. Puzzled by the two-car restriction though, that could further limit the grid. You'll have 2 x Seat, 2 x VXR, 2 x TD and a few independant teams seemingly running one car each. Not exactly likely to swell the grid, is it? - or am I missing something here :confused:

Muzorewa

¡Muchas gracias señores!
Aug 6, 2003
Manchester
Visit site
m0rk said:
The rules have been changed so that only 2 cars can be used to win.
Can you give more detail on this, m0rk, I'm confused and need to be prepared for the barrage of questions from my lad. Fore-warned etc ;)

In other forums third cars are being talked about.

Timthebrief

Barmy Army sleeper cell
Good news at last :thumbup: and the car does look cool in racing paint, but I'm with Muzorewa on this one I need to be able to translate the rules for a six year old. So what really gives?

What about Rob Collard for the 2nd car, a bit long in the tooth maybe (are'nt we all) but very experienced and a real fighter to keep those Vauxhalls off Jason's ar*e.

Muzorewa

¡Muchas gracias señores!
Aug 6, 2003
Manchester
Visit site
Don't forget there's another ex-Alfa WTCC driver out of work, came fourth overall in the championship. But "Augusto Celestino Farfus Dos Santos Jnr" probably won't fit across the windscreen :blink:

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
Im not actually sure the 2 car rule has been as yet confirmed, it was mentioned, that the manufacturers were in discussions to agree, that only 2 cars were able to score manufacturers points, I think SEAT wanted it VXR to commit to which 2 cars were elligable.

But I read they didn't agree, but that at each round, after qualifying they would have to choose which 2 cars would be their point scorers for the weekend.

Not sure how workable this is, and what has been agreed, but certainly there must be some concession in place, as SEAT have committed themselves to 2 cars, and if the championship is still based on 3 cars scoring, then they've already made it one third harder for themselves, by only running 2 cars.

But in essence so have VXR, as they have only announced only 2 cars for 2006 so far, though Autosport mentioned that Smith is still looking likely to take the 3rd car.

Muzorewa

¡Muchas gracias señores!
Aug 6, 2003
Manchester
Visit site
ZBOYD said:
I don't think the BTCC could afford the repair bill, if Farfus "the unguided missile" joined its ranks. :p
But just imagine JP & Farfus scything through the field. Possibly more like the opening shot in a game of pool, rather than like hot knives through butter. :D

Thanks for the clarification on the rules ;)

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
The other idea, and this is totally out of left field, and is the complete figment of my active imagination. (im sure SD will tell me im barking up a pot plant)

But, if they have a spare Toledo, its still elligiable to race in 2006, its only from 2007 that the rules limit the manufacturers to racing only cars that are commercially availble in European dealerships.

So they stick a feeder driver, in one of the old Toledo's under their wing, and it can score manufacturer points too. :p

Im a complete fantasist i know. :p

Muzorewa

¡Muchas gracias señores!
Aug 6, 2003
Manchester
Visit site
Haven't Barwell bought a couple for Carl Breeze & Alan Blencowe?

They could do something like that possibly based on the trial they had at Rockingham. There was talk that Tom Boardman had bought one but I think that's just wishful thinking.

Would be good to watch, though, and compare the Toledo with the new Leon. Certainly Tom Coronel makes his a good match for the Leons

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
Well we know Tom was interested as m0rk spoke to him about it, and we've heard Barwell were interested too, but as far as we know, SEAT UK couldn't sell them, don't know if SEAT SA have taken them back yet, not sure, who gets the final say so, on where they are going, either staying here or going back to Europe.

Time will tell.

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
Another hair brained idea just came into my head too, the WTCC rounds that don't clash, they could run a wild card, Muller, Thommo, Tarquini, Rydell :blink: to get those manufacturer points up. :p

They would of course fall foul of the newcomer rule though. Where they would have balast added.

Muzorewa

¡Muchas gracias señores!
Aug 6, 2003
Manchester
Visit site
Hmm, to avoid that, at least initially, they could start with a bang at Brands Hatch and hit the floor running. Looking at the two calendars they could do six rounds, Brands, Mondello Park, Oulton Park, Croft, Snetterton and Silverstone, although Croft is unrealistic as the cars would presumably remain in Central/South America between the Mexico & Brazil rounds. Oulton Park would be perfect as the cars would need to be in the UK the following weekend for the Brands WTCC round.

Certainly if Seat intend seriously competing for the manufacturer's trophy, and all the indications are that they do, they do not want to be at a disadvantage, so if three cars are allowed to score then they need a third car, even if it is only picking up low points, but importantly taking points off the opposition.