Play in clutch

Mr Rob

I got in the car today and noticed there was play in the clutch pedal. It took about half the movement of the pedal to pick up the slack and then operated the clutch. I was able to drive the 15mile to work and by the time i was there the slack had gone and it was all as normal. i've just popped up to the car park and noticed again there is play in the clutch. Not as bad as this morning but about 1/3rd slack..

Is my master cylinder on the way out?

Mr Rob

I'll get under tomorrow to have a look for any leaks but i dont think this is going to just go away.

Mikey P

The Flying Custard
Mar 4, 2009
Manchester
does sound like air is getting in somehow,its just like having air in your brake hydrolics,your pedal will be spongey but u can pump it till it goes hard agen then leave it a while and it will be spongey agen

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
1. Check the hydraulic fluid level, when it gets low the clutch goes before the brakes do (good idea really). The two systems share the single reservoir.

2. How old is your hydraulic fluid? If more than 2 years then it's due to be changed. Though that shouldn't affect the clutch as badly as you describe.

2. Bleed clutch system at the slave, on the gearbox.

Mr Rob

ok thanks peeps. same again this morning but not as bad as yesterday. I replaced my brake pads last week and the level is ok but i don't know how long the fluids been in there, i've not replaced it in the last 12 months i've had the car. I'll do it tomorrow.
ta