Polishing your car

Zappa

Mar 19, 2010
How often would you all do this?

I gave mine a great polish yesterday and it really helps the look.

I dont think it has been polished in easily 2 years.

I may start waxing the car a bit more now to start protecting the paint, as the car is 6 years old now!

CupraRcleanR

Has anyone tried this gel polish which leaves no chalky residue ?

Something like Autoglym SRP is terrible for dust and chalky residue. Dodo Lime Prime Lite or even better Swissvax Cleaner Fluid hardlly dust at all. Oh and both have no cut so you could polish every day without losing a Micron of paint.

karlw

AKA Shifty - Modded LCR
Jan 29, 2010
Ipswich, Suffolk
As long as you are happy with them lol
Id personally put my wool mit in a bucket of stones and then clean the car befire using a blade.

As for poish then I really think its each to their own and it dpends on what products people use. If i polish ill always seal and wax after but i wont always polish but depending on how the paint feels ill top up the seal and wax.

vroomtshh

Sep 11, 2005
Dreghorn, Scotland
Erm ok, wait till you get that wee bit of grit on the blade that you thought you had washed off and bring the blade down over the bonnet. Speaking from experience it not a good feeling.

WHat difference does it make if you drag it down the car with a blade, or with a chamois, or a microfibre drying towel?

If you don;t wash it properly, you're gonna have the same problem, however you dry it

TubbyTwo

Taking a break from JDM..
Jan 27, 2010
Ipswich, Suffolk
get yourself over to detailingworld.co.uk.

dont use a blade, leads to scratch city.

i use a drying towel and pat the car dry. then polish then seal then wax.

Neo

Fool member
Mar 24, 2009
dunno if anyone else uses one but waterblades are the future!

I have one but found they work better on a car with straighter edges than the mk4 though!

I polish mine with Autoglym SRP once a year in the summer.
Sponge wash every week and Aqua wax every month.

If your paint is in good condition you don`t need to keep polishing it - just wax regularly to keep the shine and protect it from the elements.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.