Polishing your car

Aug 2, 2009
North Lincs
I'm starting to eye up DA's now, as i have quite a few swirl marks that i would like to get rid of. I might just take it somewhere and pay for a pro to do it though, havent made my mind up yet!

Aimez

I got mine done by a pro last year he started at 09:00am finished at 6, I didn't clean teh car for 2 months before hand lol! I kept up the cleaning until October then it was too cold to clean until about a month ago!
Took so many pics after, it rained the day he came so he had to do it in the garage. Not sure whether to get him back again this summer.

DanGB

Who need's a Diesel....
Feb 12, 2006
London
Bloody detailing products, they cost a fortune, it all add's up!
I got a Kestra DA for christmas and got some pads and polishes, but the problem is where I live there is no where to plug it in or no hose, so have to rely on other people to use there drives etc to wash my car. Hasnt been washed in 6 months so itching to get out there and spend a good day sorting it out!

The new rage over at detailing world is grout sponges from B&Q, basically sponges which have bigger holes and catches the grit in them.

DanGB

Who need's a Diesel....
Feb 12, 2006
London
I got mine done by a pro last year he started at 09:00am finished at 6, I didn't clean teh car for 2 months before hand lol! I kept up the cleaning until October then it was too cold to clean until about a month ago!
Took so many pics after, it rained the day he came so he had to do it in the garage. Not sure whether to get him back again this summer.

If you going to pay someone to do it again, why dont you buy a Kestral and done with it or borrow/rent someones. :)

marv_n69

Standard'ish Cupra R 225
Jul 30, 2009
Anyone know any companies that do a professional polish on your car?

I dont have any of the gear to do it myself........oops i lie i have water and a bucket lol

Sep 3, 2009
Walsall, West Mids
Well said.

Would you regularly wax your car after washing it, though?

When i wax a car i make sure i get 2 layers of wax down over the period of about a day, this ensures each layer of wax has time to fully cure (baring in mind a wax will cure for up to 24hrs AFTER you buff it off) and that you get total coverage over the car.

This method should protect the car (depending on wax type / quality) for anything between 3 and 6 months. I wouldnt waste product by waxing my own car more than once every 3 months or so. I dont machine polish / clay etc my car more than once every 6 months or there abouts (depending on how bad it gets).

One thing i do use after nearly every wash is Red Mist from DoDo Juice, it doesnt add any additional protection after about 2-3 layers but i just love the finish it leaves post clean.

HTH, Nige

Sep 3, 2009
Walsall, West Mids
With regards to cloths, is there anything specific you recommend?

For removing wax i use DoDo Juice Fantastic Fur MF's... by far the softest MF's i have used to date.

For general duties i use cheaper MF's which i dont mind getting crap on etc.

For drying the car i use a SuperNatural drying towel from DoDo Juice, awesome towel with really deep pile and super soft. Its also huge so can easily do a whole car and not need wringing out.

Aimez

If you going to pay someone to do it again, why dont you buy a Kestral and done with it or borrow/rent someones. :)

Cos it would cost a fortune to buy one and all the different pads and polishes need to spend on other bits first. Maybe one day.
That was only once to get rid or swirls and get some paint corrected that the bodys hop ruined I would never be able to do what he did not without years of practice.

vroomtshh

Sep 11, 2005
Dreghorn, Scotland
Cos it would cost a fortune to buy one and all the different pads and polishes need to spend on other bits first. Maybe one day.
That was only once to get rid or swirls and get some paint corrected that the bodys hop ruined I would never be able to do what he did not without years of practice.

£130 buys you a kit that'll do your car for the rest of your life. And TBH, its not that hard to machine polish. You certainly wont need years of practice

Sep 3, 2009
Walsall, West Mids
Is the towel machine washable if it picks up dirt or gets dropped? Looks good, I'll have to grab one of those.

Just read a thread on washing cars there from here:
http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27

I have been using sponges all my life :doh:

Yes, normal liquid ariel or something like that, on a cool wash and NO fabric conditioner. you can buy dedicated wash products like CG's MF wash but there isnt really any need to. i usually throw the towels, wash mitts, pads etc etc in at the same time plus give them an extra rinse n spin :thumbup:

If i've used the pads on a car and they have got quite clogged with oxidation / paint (on older none clearcote paints) i soak them in a bucket with hot water and fairy liquid overnight first.

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
Bloody detailing products, they cost a fortune, it all add's up!
I got a Kestra DA for christmas and got some pads and polishes, but the problem is where I live there is no where to plug it in or no hose, so have to rely on other people to use there drives etc to wash my car. Hasnt been washed in 6 months so itching to get out there and spend a good day sorting it out!

The new rage over at detailing world is grout sponges from B&Q, basically sponges which have bigger holes and catches the grit in them.
I would still be careful with a groute sponge Dan.

Aimez

£130 buys you a kit that'll do your car for the rest of your life. And TBH, its not that hard to machine polish. You certainly wont need years of practice

£130 plus the cost of the machine though. I wouldn't buy a rotary as you can do damage with that if you do not know what you are doing. Nah maybe next year got to get the car finished first. IF I do buy one I would definitely ask people if they want to pay me to sort their car out I like cleaning other people's cars more of a challenge mine is kept very clean in the Summer.

Ibiza 09

IF I do buy one I would definitely ask people if they want to pay me to sort their car out I like cleaning other people's cars more of a challenge mine is kept very clean in the Summer.

Come to mine if you buy one, you can practice on mine :D im sure you would be fine and you can clean it fully while your at it, like you said to me the other day you would do it for free :D

Aug 2, 2009
North Lincs
Use it after washing when your not waxing. The results are awesome! [B)]

Yes your right, do not use RM straight after applying wax as it can eat into it. Leave it 24 hours for the wax to cure.