Poll-fan fuse on battery melted/replaced or not?

My fan fuse on battery has melted/been replaced

• yes

Votes: 108 70.6%
  • no

Votes: 45 29.4%

• Total voters

burnsey

PS3 TAG: sBuRnSeY
Oct 20, 2008
Hengoed
www.seatcupra.net
Pic of my fuse box from this week:

SNC00127.jpg
[/IMG]

H & H 2.3

Jun 20, 2004
Newcastle
Here's my story today - been out in the car and turned the air con on for the first time since owning the car. Everything fine and returned home with no problems. A few hours later i go out to the car and find the battery is flat and have to jump start the car. I use the car to go the our local shops with the wife and i'm a bit reluctant to turn it off so soon after jump starting it so i sit in the car with it ticking over while she goes into the shops.
Then i notice the temperature rising and don't hear the fans kick in, the temp got up to almost the red with no sign of the fans so i decided to drive around to cool the car down rather than turn it off and it not start again.
I get home home and find this thread so i check my fuses on the battery to find the left hand side one a bit melted but nothing to bad, the middle one and the right one are both fine.
does anyone know if this fuses could be anything to do with the fans not kicking in or me turning the air con on?? :confused:

burnsey

PS3 TAG: sBuRnSeY
Oct 20, 2008
Hengoed
www.seatcupra.net
The fuse on the right is for the fans,and its probaly why they are not working. I found on myn that the fuse itself was fine it had just melted and lost contact with the fuse holder. As for the battery maybe you need a new one or get your one checked out.

-=Rob=-

Beer or Car?
Dec 14, 2002
South West
Visit site
My fans, secondary water pump and aircon stopped working last week.... After a quick search on here I found the info about the fuses on the battery. Had a look today, none blown and all seated fine, I took them out, cleaned up the blades, applied some dielectric to the blades and re-seated them. Now all working fine... :)

What I did notice was a lot of green dust build up on the copper bar that goes to the battery terminal, not sure this is common or not?

alix

Dec 3, 2008
ongoing air con issues

OK have read above thread and a couple of others. Air con has never worked since i had car.
Have had it re-gassed, no joy, my fuse on top of battery was melted so i replaced and cleaned unit.
When i turn AC on the engine note changes so compressor/pump IS kicking in but still does'nt cool?
Have inspected pipes that i can see and looks ok, any ideas peeps?:confused:

benny91

Apr 3, 2009
Southampton, UK
does anyone else find themselves driving around with a spare green blade fuse in the ashtray, dreading the day it happens again?? or is that just me haha

ashgtiturbo

Jun 23, 2009
my traction light was on when i just got the car, then the fans stopped working and the car got really hot! got it home after the AA had to collect it, just checked the fuse board and what do you know the fuse from the right is fooked - but never thought it could be the tc as well i'll change that too tomorrow!

joehirth

Rate me up baby
Apr 19, 2010
Woking, Surrey
www.facebook.com
So is there a simple solution to this problem - it seems that some say replace the fuse holder and everything sorts itself out, others say that you have to replace the fans, is it a vehicle specific answer or is there a solution? Any help would be great cheapest options would be nice too....

cupraR59

Oct 4, 2009
grimsby
hi sorry to drag up an old thread but this has happend to me just orderd the part today but was wondering you say it stops your aircon working ??? well i wouldnt no that as ive removed mine but all my heaters have stoped working compleatly no blow at all is it linked or just coincidence ???

Ross_Cupra-R

Mar 19, 2009
Fife/Bristol
I too have fallen victim to this today [:@].

went to put the aircon on and everything was good, apart from the air wasn't very cold.

Got home and thought the pump/compressor had packed in. Quick search thro this thread and went and had a look at the fuse holder on the battery, all seemed well, no melting apparant.

Went to pull the fuse closest to the wing out, wouldn't budge, a pair of pliers later and a rather sorry looking melted fuses was removed from the holder.

New one put in-place, air-con is back to full health.

So it will be a trip down to the stealers on tuesday to buy a replacment holder.

Aug 8, 2010
greenock
just read this thread there and have the exact same problem. went and checked there changed the fan fuse which has been routed to the outside of the fusebox?? and all is working fine now, never checked air con but will check it tomorrow morning i always assumed that it was just needing re-gassed. have to say it doesnt surprise me they draw to much current they sound mega powerfull even compared to the uprated fan on my 6n2 polo gti

joe163spurs

is there any particular fuse you can put in that stops this, or does the fuse holder have to be changed

ilikefatgirls

Nov 4, 2010
Wiltshire
Just checked mine and its seems that someone has had the foresight to re route the end wire that leads to the troublesome fuse outside the box with a separate inline fuse and then run it straight into the box.

But, this has also melted so I can replace it can someone tell me what is the size fuse that's supposed to be in there? thanks

-=Rob=-

Beer or Car?
Dec 14, 2002
South West
Visit site
My fans, secondary water pump and aircon stopped working last week.... After a quick search on here I found the info about the fuses on the battery. Had a look today, none blown and all seated fine, I took them out, cleaned up the blades, applied some dielectric to the blades and re-seated them. Now all working fine... :)

What I did notice was a lot of green dust build up on the copper bar that goes to the battery terminal, not sure this is common or not?

Well a year on and mines now melted :( I'm going to replace the fuse holder and put 3x new 30amp fuses in. But can anyone tell me how the metal battery bracket is fixed to the fuse holder and how it transfers to a new one?

matt27

I think this issue may be the source of my AC problems also, the AC turns on by itself and stays on almost constantly, with the occasionally flashing on and off on the radio fascia

The first 2 fuses came out easily, the 3rd I had to pry out, it does not look as melted as everyone elses but appears to be damaged, the fuse is really hard to put in and get out, and scratches the fuse pin a fair bit

does anyone also think this is damaged? here's an image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Also how easy is this part to fit when replacing?

Thanks!

matt27

Thanks, I have a feeling the contacts inside might have melted closer together which is why the fuse pin is scratching when inserted. I think the fans on my car were still running when I started the car without the fuse. Tried with a new fuse also same problem.

My fuse box part no ends in 549 not 550 will call dealers and see what part they say

Is it easy to "crimp"(?) in the various wires to the fuse box that's the part am unsure about!
Thanks

May 25, 2008
cambs
It's plug and play so no worries about crimping anything but you will need to swap the link fusesover to the new part as these aren't supplied

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.