Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest, stickers are available from our online store.

POLL: Rear window de-mister button and heated mirrors

Discussion in 'Leon Mk3 (2012-2020)' started by Lozzy15, Oct 1, 2019.

?

Would you find it handy if the rear de-mister button also turned the heated mirrors on and off?

1. Yes

33 vote(s)
    73.3%
  2. No

12 vote(s)
    26.7%
  1. Lozzy15

Lozzy15 Mods mods mods

Just a quick poll for you guys to see what you think. It's something I'm looking at doing as a mod, and may make a guide for if people would be interested!

2. RADIOTWO

RADIOTWO Active Member

Why would you want to do that as you all ready have a switch !

3. Lozzy15

Lozzy15 Mods mods mods

I usually forget to turn that damn switch off. I'm used to my previous cars where the mirrors and rear window are operated by one switch and automatically turn off, and personally prefer it that way :yes:

4. RADIOTWO

RADIOTWO Active Member

If you use the nearside mirror dipping function you wont forget to turn it off

5. Lozzy15

Lozzy15 Mods mods mods

I do use that, and I still forget to turn it off :banghead2

6. Wastedagen

Wastedagen Active Member

I always believed the rear demister shut off after 15 mins....

I'm sure I saw something in the settings while poking around using my obd.. Probably just imagining it though...

7. Lozzy15

Lozzy15 Mods mods mods

The rear demister does shut off after so long, the mirrors however stay on so long as the the switch on the door is turned on. My idea is to link the mirrors upto the rear demister so they too auto turn on and off.

I've had a dig through settings on VCDS and can't see a way of doing it. After looking at the wiring diagrams for the door modules and the BCM, it uses the CAN BUS system to switch on the passenger mirror, as signalled by the switch on the drivers door when its turned on. There may be a way to tell both modules to turn the mirrors on via the CAN BUS system but I don't know if that can be programmed in.

Wastedagen likes this.
  8. BigJase88

BigJase88 Jase

not really an issue is it?

my wing mirrors stay in heated position all year round, and iirc I do not think they operate at all times, only at certain temperatures and for a certain period of time.

9. Lozzy15

Lozzy15 Mods mods mods

Not an issue no, just a feature I'd personally like.

I like to leave the switch in the left position to dip them when reversing and not have to change it from that.

Just me being lazy with it I guess

Walone and JsyCuPrA like this.
  10. The Daily Meme

The Daily Meme Waiting...

I leave my mirror switch on the L position for reversing, although now the winter is coming I will likely be making use of the heated mirrors more often. I use the rear windscreen heater sometimes in the summer but only really use the mirror heaters in the winter. Would rather have a switch for each.

My car is parked undercover both at home and at work so I don't usually have any issues.

11. Lozzy15

Lozzy15 Mods mods mods

I use both fairly often, I hate having either of them misted up or covered in rain. I work odd times throughout winter for gritting so quite often when I come to get in the car the screens and mirrors are frosted up.

12. OJ9693

OJ9693 Mk3 Leon FR 150

Also just something to do when bored :cheeky:

Lozzy15 likes this.
  13. bgb

bgb Active Member

"In most models, the SEAT electric mirror adjustment is combined with exterior mirror heating, so that a clear view to the rear is guaranteed even at low temperatures. This convenience and safety feature is paired with the heated rear window."

Is what SEAT define the heating as. And the manual states;

"Depending on the equipment fitted on
    the vehicle, the mirrors may be heated
    according to the outside temperature."

Which implies the wing mirrors turn on/off at set temps.

I see the usefulness of leaving them 'active' AND having reverse dip though! Instead of a turn knob it could be a button you depress etc. leaving the other functions unaffected.

14. On my pre facelift car i have the following settings for

Window heater:

Temperature-dependent switch-on time HSH

Rear window heating time value:

Running time of heated front window:

Temperature-dependent switch-on time FSH:

Shutdown temperature for rear window heater:

Shutdown temperature for front window heater:

On the mirror side all I could see was Comfort use mirror heater whilst i agree the manual says its temp controlled I could not see a value you could change but happy to be told otherwise.

15. PaulyM

PaulyM still learning

Maybe I am a little confused, but I thought the mirrors were only heated if the rear demister is operated and the mirror switch is set accordingly? Not used it in my new car, but I’m sure this is what happened on my pre-fl FR.

16. Owen83

Owen83 Active Member

This is the issue I have, why can't the mirrow heaters just be on, or on a thermostat like most other cars out there. Having to turn the button between the mirror heaters & reverse dip is annoying.

Lozzy15 and Walone like this.
  17. martin j.

martin j. Active Member

I’ve seen a few cars needing new mirror glass due to the element having burnt out after being left on, wether on Seats they reset when the ignition is switched off I don’t know, I do know I used the rear window heating a lot more often than the mirrors cause dog steamed the back window when he was in the car when it was damp outside.

18. Owen83

Owen83 Active Member

On all of the cars I have had (BMW, Mercedes, Land Rover, VW, Audi, Vauxhall, MG) I have never seen heating elements on the glass in the wing mirrors, usually the glass is mounted to a heated metal plate, so for heated & non heated the glass itself is the same. Don't know how the Leon is engineered though

19. martin j.

martin j. Active Member

All the heated mirrors I’ve seen have an adhesive pad stuck on the back of the glass containing the heat elements, costs for elements in the glass would be prohibitive I suspect, they’re usually exposed on the inside so the mirror spider can get a wee heat in winter.:rofl:

20. martin j.

martin j. Active Member

Just checked and my Honda has mirrors and rear window on one button, the window isn’t very big and I’m sure switches off via a timer.