Polo Aero Wiper now on!!

Lippo

YNWA
May 8, 2006
Formby
After fannying round for 6 months about whether to do it, I finally bought the Aero wiper kit today for £25 from VW and lobbed it on.

Didn't have any of the problems that others had with the clearance, the only ball aches were getting the old wiper off (rubber mallet and ball joint splitter) and re-aligning the washer thingy to spray the windscreen and not the roof of the car.

Also got the car booked in tomorrow at the body shop to have the roof sorted, after a couple of roof tiles made an unwanted impression on it last year.

Next up, maybe a bee sting aerial... any ideas for the best one for reception?

knight85

Money spending clown
Dec 30, 2008
South East
looks good! doing mine soon! did you just go to VW garage and ask for the polo rear wiper?

also was the old one really hard to get off?

Lippo

YNWA
May 8, 2006
Formby
I rang the dealers up first to make sure they had the parts, which are;

6Q6 955 707 A - VW Polo rear wiper arm
6Q6 955 425 A - VW Polo rear aero wiper blade
6Q6 955 435 A - VW Polo rear wiper cover cap

The bloke said the numbers had changed, but he knew what I wanted from the part numbers above.

No real problems getting the old one off, just a bit of brute force, twisting and WD40 and the old wiper arm came away. It's interference fit with splines(?) on the inside of the nut, so you're best rocking it to get some play.

The new wiper arm is smooth on the inside, and I assume that when you tighten up the nut it uts new grooves into it.
I know others had problems with the cap grinding on the window, I was lucky

Lippo

YNWA
May 8, 2006
Formby
Yeah I read on here that the Honda one was decent. I'm looking on Ebay at the mo but they're not the best quality

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I rang the dealers up first to make sure they had the parts, which are;

6Q6 955 707 A - VW Polo rear wiper arm
6Q6 955 425 A - VW Polo rear aero wiper blade
6Q6 955 435 A - VW Polo rear wiper cover cap

The bloke said the numbers had changed, but he knew what I wanted from the part numbers above.

No real problems getting the old one off, just a bit of brute force, twisting and WD40 and the old wiper arm came away. It's interference fit with splines(?) on the inside of the nut, so you're best rocking it to get some play.

The new wiper arm is smooth on the inside, and I assume that when you tighten up the nut it uts new grooves into it.
I know others had problems with the cap grinding on the window, I was lucky

I'd reckon that the wiper shaft spine really needs some anti-seized grease on it, I had a lot of trouble taking the aroe arm of my wife's Polo to sort the spray bar. It kind of sounds like you might be getting problems with your spray bar as its meant to stay stationary and NOT rotate with the arm - that is why the cap and arm, when fitted correctly, should just allow the spray to shoot up vertically but just clearing the cut-out on the cap. If your spray bar has started to move, there is a VAG kit available to repair it - stripping it out and cleaning re-greasing might fix it though. (remove cap > remove arm > remove plastic nozzle > remove tailgate lining > remove wiper motor cover and gasket - this might take a bit of effort if the spray tube has started to seize in the hollow wiper shaft > clean outside of spray tube until it is smooth > clean inside of motor shaft until it looks clear of gunge, grease both parts with water resistant grease and reassembly - job done!

Last edited:

Aimez

radio reception has been crap in my car from day one with different head units and aerials, or maybe it's radio one round here?!
I don't find the cap ground the window I found the wiper got stuck and scratched the glass oops!

Lippo

YNWA
May 8, 2006
Formby
I'd reckon that the wiper shaft spine really needs some anti-seized grease on it, I had a lot of trouble taking the aroe arm of my wife's Polo to sort the spray bar. It kind of sounds like you might be getting problems with your spray bar as its meant to stay stationary and NOT rotate with the arm - that is why the cap and arm, when fitted correctly, should just allow the spray to shoot up vertically but just clearing the cut-out on the cap. If your spray bar has started to move, there is a VAG kit available to repair it - stripping it out and cleaning re-greasing might fix it though. (remove cap > remove arm > remove plastic nozzle > remove tailgate lining > remove wiper motor cover and gasket - this might take a bit of effort if the spray tube has started to seize in the hollow wiper shaft > clean outside of spray tube until it is smooth > clean inside of motor shaft until it looks clear of gunge, grease both parts with water resistant grease and reassembly - job done!

I worked out what it was, I hadn't pushed the cap down enough for the 2 clips to engage. I did that and the washer worked fine, but the cap was in contact with the windscreen, so after 20 minutes worth of gentke sanding on ten bottom of the cap sorted this.

I didn't want to put anti slip stuff on the inside of the bolt as I was worried that it might cause the wiper to stay where it was whilst the motor continued round. All works now, and got the car back today with a freshly resprayed roof.

Lippo

YNWA
May 8, 2006
Formby
radio reception has been crap in my car from day one with different head units and aerials, or maybe it's radio one round here?!
I don't find the cap ground the window I found the wiper got stuck and scratched the glass oops!

I've seen 'genuine' S2000 aerials on Ebay for about £15. Might try one of those. SOmething needs doing, cos the stock aerial looks bad.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.