Polystyrene cutout in the boot

Armitage SHanks

I've recently bought an Altea XL for the missus and have noticed that there is a polystyrene cutout beneath a flap in the boot mat (right at the very backof the car in the centre). It appears to be shaped to accomodate something specific but mine is empty.

All I can think of is maybe a fire extinguisher or some kind of safety kit for the continent where (I think) it is a legal requirement.

Photo to follow in a couple of days time if nobody solves the riddle! (Can't take one now as it is dark out and bucketing down!)

TIA

Last edited by a moderator:

Viking

Insurance co's are crap.
May 19, 2007
Near Richmond, North Yorks
You should have either a spare wheel in there, or a compressor and a tin or tire repair glue, along with the jack, a selection of hand tools and a towing eye.

Sound like someone nicked 'em and sold 'em on Ebay.

Armitage SHanks

Sorry, I should have explained more clearly. The spacesaver spare is in situ with all the associated gubbins that live within it but this polystyrene cutout sits between the spare and the back door. It is probably about 6 inches by 15 inches.

Any other offers?

Craig Senior

I've been Tango'd
May 24, 2004
Yorkshire
My guess would be that it's just a space for a warning triangle etc if required.

I'm sure I'll find something to put there when mine turns up.

sosidge

Jun 5, 2004
Ditto the empty XL poly box here too. Curious but everything you need to change the spare is in there.

Maybe something for different specs/markets to use?

Apr 13, 2007
Also empty in ours, but I seem to remember seeing something in the manual (could have been somewhere else, mind) that referred to an addition 'storage compartment' in the boot... ;)

Armitage SHanks

Blimey - I'd never have believed this thread would get to half a dozen replies without a definitive answer. Cheers for the theories though, folks - keep them coming!

klawit

ALTEA 1.4 TSI 4YOU (my2015)
Oct 13, 2005
Germany, Cologne-Area
Hi folks ... noone's even got a picture to clearify ???

anyone doing that favour for me?

All the Web-pixxies show only the trunk covered with the mat ...

greets ... Klaus

Armitage SHanks

Hi folks ... noone's even got a picture to clearify ???

anyone doing that favour for me?

All the Web-pixxies show only the trunk covered with the mat ...

greets ... Klaus

If nobody else beats me to it, I'll upload one on the weekend when I can get to the car in daylight.

Cheers

bobbycfc

Jun 6, 2007
Motherwell
AS, I also have it in my XL but find that it is the perfect shape and size to take my electric tyre inflator thingy.

So, time to start a new thread.... what do you keep in yours???

Armitage SHanks

AS, I also have it in my XL but find that it is the perfect shape and size to take my electric tyre inflator thingy.

So, time to start a new thread.... what do you keep in yours???

Well, at the moment I am inclined to stick a fire extinguisher in there - since the new nipper came along 10 weeks ago, I've come over all grown up so a safety device gives me that warm gooey feeling.

I'm half expecting the missus to beat me to it, though, and find that she's filled it with nappies and wet-wipes so I'm going to have to act fast!

bobbycfc

Jun 6, 2007
Motherwell
Well as a parent myself, I think your missus has a good idea there - an emergency set of baby essentials, nappy, wipes, maybe a jar of food, a calpol sachet etc. The day that it comes in handy will be the day you get stuck in a 10 mile jam between service stations, or maybe bad weather and you will be soooo glad your missus did what she did!

Nov 2, 2006
Annaghmore
bebo.com
Pics!

Here is my cut-out, with few things in it.
PA180226.jpg
[/IMG]

PA180227.jpg

klawit

ALTEA 1.4 TSI 4YOU (my2015)
Oct 13, 2005
Germany, Cologne-Area
Hi googies,

thanks for your effort ...

That's a partial view of a Toledo-boot, right ? (at least your signature is telling that)

I can see the spare sticking out there ... and if it's the position mentioned before (between spare wheel and back door), it's just the additional space where Altea and AlteaXL/Toledo differ in length.

If I had a sledgehammer to carry around ... I'd go for a Toledo or XL for sure ... ;)

greets ... Klaus

Nov 2, 2006
Annaghmore
bebo.com
Yea, that is partial view of a toledo. Just the rear 8" or so behind the spare wheel. Plenty of room for few extras to carry and still have clutter free boot space.

Will add in a picture of full boot layout.

Last edited:

Altea Ego

Blimey, with Armitage shanks and Bobby G on here its just like another forum elsewhere! Mine is also empty. It now contains an electric tyre pump and a 12- 240 volt power inverter.

bobbycfc

Jun 6, 2007
Motherwell
Copycat! I put the tyre inflator there first!!

You should really have got one with the false floor and would have been able to put more there!!! :)

Altea Ego

I DO have the false boot floor. I also have TWO seperators in the false compartment!

AND I found the boot net. You do have a boot net dont you Bobby?

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.