Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest, stickers are available from our online store.

Poor fuel consumption.

Discussion in 'Leon Mk3 (2012-2020)' started by Andy184, Oct 8, 2019.

1. SRGTD

SRGTD Active Member

Agree, £10 fill-ups aren’t the best way to measure fuel consumption. Also, the car’s fuel computer won’t be 100% accurate. Filling the tank, refilling when it gets to somewhere between 1/4 full and empty and then calculating the consumption manually will give a better indication of the true fuel consumption, especially if done over 3-4 tank fulls of fuel.

@Andy184; if your you’re running a diesel in mainly town / city driving conditions for short distances, you’ll be getting quite a few DPF regenerations - engine fan running and higher engine revs at idle being the tell tale signs. DPF’s will have a negative impact on your fuel consumption as the regeneration process uses extra fuel. Brand of tyres can also have a bearing on fuel consumption. I see that Hankook Ventus V12 Evo and V12 Evo 2 have an ‘E’ fuel efficiency rating. By way of comparison, Michelin PS4’s and Continental Sport Contact 5’s both have a ‘C’ fuel efficiency rating.

Is the fuel consumption in the picture you’ve posted at the start of this thread representative of what you’ve always been getting or has it suddenly deteriorated? If the latter, has your journey type or time of day you travel changed, or are different drivers using your car that could explain an mpg change? Have you only recently had the Hankook Ventus tyres fitted? If so, what brand of tyres did you have previously?

In your position, I’d fill the fuel tank to the brim and find a reason to take the car on some longer journeys to see how the fuel consumption changes (hopefully improves!) on longer journeys.

LouG likes this.
  2. Scotty

Scotty Active Member

Having driven a 184 for three years i'd say my average was about 45-47 mpg, spirited driving in the early hours of
    the morning on the N.Wales coast road 35-40,on that headache called the M6 doing 50mph is the only time it got over 50mpg, not bad for the performance available imo

3. BoomerBoom

BoomerBoom Active Member

For town driving you're better off owning a nissan leaf, you'd be lucky to get 25mpg in a cupra.

4. The Daily Meme

The Daily Meme MY20 Cupra 290 Lux

I have the 184 petrol equivalent and will get 45 mpg on my way to work. When the traffic is clear I can sometimes push it above 50 mpg. It is a manual and that's 40 miles on mostly A roads.

5. kazand

kazand Is powered by Medtronics

My work 150 Passat does around 800 miles to the tank on my normal runs ( Leeds, Manchester, Glasgow etc) but if t'wife uses it on her weekly commute it drops to as little as 400. With the Cupra she averages 290-300 to a tank.

6. Andy184

Andy184 Active Member

Bad fuel since putting 18s on with these ventus tyres, before I would see more miles. Yeh short journeys are going to kill my dpf.

Ive never got more than 450 to a tank but yeh, recently the 20 and 30 quid fill ups are seeing alot less miles. :(

7. Kirky

Kirky Active Member

I can vouch for that. I get 18-20mpg in my Cupra driving through Edinburgh. It's definitely not a city/town car. I get mid 40s on the motorway and open roads though.

8. JonnyG

JonnyG Active Member

I'd be happy with 45mpg if you do a fair bit of town driving. Our Golf GTD averaged 37mpg over its lifetime doing mainly 6 mile commuting. On a long run it would get around 48mpg.

9. Shaady

Shaady Active Member

Your MPG for doing mainly town driving sounds about right, if you wanted good MPG in town a small petrol or even electric would have been a much better choice.

It is going to kill the DPF too, don't be surprised if you have to cough up for a replacement in the not to distant future as it will just get too clogged and the standard regen cycle won't be able to clear it.

Granted at the moment I sit in average speed check zones to and from work but its mainly motorway and quite fast A roads and there it not a day that I don't see 55mpg, most days its closer to 60 so there is definitely a use case for diesel, town driving just isnt it

kazand likes this.
  10. martin j.

martin j. Active Member

Recent increases in the cost per litre means less for your £10 or £20 too.

Owen83 and The Daily Meme like this.
  11. KXL

KXL KXL

I used to have a 2.0TDI 150 DSG, and that would do about 45mpg average in 'mixed' city and some extra urban. I've once (on a full tank of Shell Diesel) on motorway run, did just under 600 miles before the red light came on. It was doing about 57mpg the entire tank. On motorways was sat at 70-75mph cruise. London City in I would get anywhere from 35-45mpg. This is weekend or evening weekday driving. If you know your engine will be idling for at least 30 secs guranteed (eg...u stop as light has turned red in front of you and you need to stop), just let the startstop do it's thing. When it's doing a DPF regen, it won't start-stop anyway, and you can see your average mpg plunge right before your eyes! The others are right, a fully clogged DPF is very expensive to replace. Diesels are not suitable for cities unless u drive all day around the city. Has yoru DPF light come on yet? You should either do a long journey (at least 1hr @ motorway speeds 70mph (rpms must be above 2000)) before the light comes on, else suggest DPF cleaning services like https://www.terraclean.co.uk/. Once the light comes on (I believe) it's 90% clogged and almost at the point of no return.

bgb likes this.
  12. MH0

MH0 Active Member

I can agree with you there:cartman:. I'm lucky to get 200 miles from a full tank on my cupra. Driving in London and in rush hour is not a good mix at all.:banghead:

13. andycupra

andycupra status subject to change

so, you are getting 40mpg, you also state you are doing lots of miles but all in the town on short journeys..
    on this basis 40 mpg is about as good as you can get.
    and at 40mpg you should be getting about 67 out of £10 - based on 130p per litre = 7.69 litres or 1.69 gallons.
    Of course, you will not get 67 miles before light comes on unless you previously topped up at the exact time the light came on. (otherwise it will be miles achieved before light comes on, plus miles travelled after light came on previously and before you added fuel).

comparing yourself to others is only applicable if you drive the same car, same engine, same speed, same driving style and same conditions. If you are driving shorter journeys in stop start traffic around town, but the comparison car does the same miles but in few journeys on B/A roads or motorways you will always be worse.

You are also viewing miles since filling up... so assuming you drive to the petrol station, then fill up you are potentially looking at mpg achieved on a warmed up engine and not including the first few miles on a cold engine achieving lower MPG.
    this is also why people often look at the mpg they are getting towards the end of a jouney, and see the range indicated and wonder why they don't achieve this. The range in particular will be based on the 'recent' mpg achieved, so if you view later in a journey it will look good as it will exclude the cold start up mpg. Take a look at the range when you are in the first couple of miles, it will be lower than before and could then actually increase as you get later in the journey.

averaging around 23mpg with a long time to achieve the miles indicated in the pics, this indicates a pattern of driving which will never give great mpg - i think you are doing pretty well to get the mpg indicated.
    the way you use the car, a petrol engine may actually be better suited.

#33 andycupra, Oct 9, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
    Moh likes this.
  14. BigJase88

BigJase88 Jase

Thats more than acceptable for town driving

15. garybuttle

garybuttle Active Member

We have a 150 TDI and wife got this coming home from work a 30 mile journey back roads ,A roads and duel carriageway .
    Average over 64000 mils just under 60 mpg[​IMG]

Sent from my moto g(7) plus using Tapatalk

16. seventen710

seventen710 Active Member

My 184 ST DSG has pretty terrible fuel economy. Rarely get much over 45mpg, or more than about 450 miles per tank. Been like this for the three years I've owned it.

17. paulrushton

paulrushton Active Member

I fill mine up whenever I refuel and use Road Trip to record actual mpg. I find the computer is a little optimistic.

Over 6768 miles mine has averaged 41.4mpg. Mines an X-perience model so 4 wheel drive (occasionally) but happy with that.

18. BigJase88

BigJase88 Jase

DSG uses a lot more fuel than the equivalent manual.

RUM4MO likes this.
  19. RUM4MO

RUM4MO Active Member

I tend to agree with you, well for the average>competent driver in each car, the whole consumption test regime was altered quite a few years ago to "assist" any/all automatic/robotisied gearboxes probably because the trend was towards auto trans to make life easier for engine design.

20. KXL

KXL KXL

Is that a 6 speed manual? The best I've ever achieved in my 63 plate 2.0TDI 150 DSG was 64mpg. It only made it to 10k miles before it was returned though.