Dismiss Notice
Hi Guest, stickers are available from our online store.

Poor fuel consumption.

Discussion in 'Leon Mk3 (2012-2020)' started by Andy184, Oct 8, 2019.

1. KXL

KXL KXL

Or one of those hybrid / Plug-In (Golf GTE, Hyundai Ioniq) type things, where you can pottle around traffic with battery only (up to about 25 miles), and use engine on clearer roads.
    My 1.0TSI was more efficient than the 2.0TDI in the city (by about 3mpg), like for like, despite both having identical 'on paper' mpg of 64 (I did get this figure few times late at night). On the highwway the 2.0TDI did better. Incidently by about 3mpg too!).

2. garybuttle

garybuttle Active Member

Yes it is the manual. The best we've had is 73.7 on the display, but the average is worked out on milage and fuel used since we bought it.

Sent from my moto g(7) plus using Tapatalk

3. zeffania

zeffania Active Member

unless you drive the same road as someone else, mpg is going to be really difficult to compare. I know I drive better than my wife, she never looks far enough ahead so brakes much more than I do and her mpg is far worse because of it.

I have to drive through 2 towns, 55 miles a day with a small stint on the motorway, currently 50 for the smart upgrade. I get a decent return because it gets a run. If I drive round town doing stuff with the kids, 30-40 as it barely has a chance to warm up. The start/stop is a massive saver in my opinion and as I drive a manual, I can look ahead and see if it worth staying on the clutch or letting the start/stop work its magic

4. Pinky

Pinky Active Member

45mpg is about right for short town use on the 184.

5. Mr Pig

Mr Pig Active Member

You really need to work out exactly what your mpg is. It's not hard to do and very worthwhile. If you do it every tank you can see patterns. You can see what type of driving is giving better economy and spot problems earlier.

Fill the tank to the brim and reset the trip counter.

The next time you fill up, which doesn't have to be an empty tank or anything, take a note of the number of litres you put in and the number of miles you've done.

So let's say you've done:

391.5 miles
    30,98 litres

You want to turn the litres into gallons. Multiply by 0.22

391.5 miles
    6.815 gallons

Then you just divide the miles by the gallons:

57.5 mpg

If you brim the tank and reset the counter every time you fill up you can know the mpg of every tank you use. I've done this for years, I know the mpg of every tank since I bought the car. It lets you know what types of road are good for mpg, what kind of driving. Are your new tyres bad for economy, is there a difference in fuel brands.

Years ago I had a Nissan Primera GT and it gave better economy on premium petrol. Except for Jet brand. Jet regular, which was all they sold, was as good as big brand premium. On the diesel Leon brand or grade makes zero difference but I still use the good stuff every few tanks as it has cleaners in it.

Once you know the actual mpg you are getting over a period of time you have information you can work with.

LouG, SRGTD and The Daily Meme like this.
  6. SRGTD

SRGTD Active Member

^This. @Andy184; using the car’s computer to check the car’s mpg on £10 top-ups when the low fuel light comes on won’t give a particularly accurate indication of the actual mpg you’re getting.

7. LouG

LouG Active Member

True. I log fills in the Fuelio app, that shows the cars display is about .5 litre per 100 km's light.

8. LouG

LouG Active Member

We must be brothers from another mother. I do that OCD stuff too.

9. Mr Pig

Mr Pig Active Member

I do it because it requires no time at all and has multiple benefits. You do get excited when you know it's going to be a high one ;0)