POOR MPG ON Arona XCELLENCE Lux 1.0 TSI 115 PS 7-speed DSG-auto

Dec 15, 2019
Hi

Joined the forum as looking for some advice

400 miles on new 69 plate, but cant get above 30 - 35 mpg, no where near stated spec (aware these are never accurate) but filled up tank today and showing expected 317 miles!!! running in ECO mode, is this the norm, car in title and 18" wheels.

Thanks

Fernhill Dad

Jun 29, 2018
Hi

Joined the forum as looking for some advice

400 miles on new 69 plate, but cant get above 30 - 35 mpg, no where near stated spec (aware these are never accurate) but filled up tank today and showing expected 317 miles!!! running in ECO mode, is this the norm, car in title and 18" wheels.

Thanks

Fairly normal for new tight engine, will loosen up over time, but generally won’t give you best mpg until it has done about 2500 miles.

Eco mode doesn’t seem to make that much difference, wouldn’t bother until it has run in. I have found that running it on super unleaded (99 Ron) improves mpg by about 12% as seems to improve torque at low revs and DSG is happy to keep it about 1500 rpm

Reactions: gaznat

PhilYerBoots

Jan 1, 2008
As @Fernhill Dad says mpg will improve over time.

Our Arona SE Tech dsg with same engine as yours returned only 35ish mpg average when new.
When it went back this year with 10k on the clock it was averaging nearly 45 mpg, but don't expect to get too close to official figures with real world driving.

Reactions: gaznat

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
Hope you are not 'trashing' the new engine. Advise from handbook is to be gentle, but also vary the revs anywhere up to 3k. Ok, to take it to 70mph on the motorways. Although not in the Arona, had the same engine in the Ibiza, and agree that 99RON (Shell Vpower) does improve mpg, eg..a normal fixed journey usually always get me 48-50mpg, but the odd time I had 99RON, it did 57-58mpg!
My experience on the 1.0TSI on Ibiza (i guess in the Arona could be 2-3mpg worse off, like for like, not sure how much 18inch rims affect). City with some traffic, can get 35-43mpg, 40-50mph free flowing roads can get 55-60mpg, motorway speeds, can get about 50-55mpg. When I test drove the Arona from Westfield, the 'long term' mpg was 34mpg over few hundred miles, bear in mind this is a 'test drive car' and I'm sure people who test drove it, won't take mpg into consideration. So things will improve.

@PhilYerBoots I see you have a cupra 290, what's the average mpg on that one? low 30s?

PhilYerBoots

Jan 1, 2008
Hi @KXL.

Yes round town getting late 20's to low 30's but on a motorway run nearly 40 if being sensible.

Only done 1k so far so will improve I guess, but I didn't choose a Cupra for it's economy tbh..

I was impressed with poke of the Arona's 1.0T 115 engine, especially with the dsg, but driving the Cupra for just over a month now and OMG...different beast altogether, what a car !

Dec 15, 2019
Thanks all, definitely not thrashing it, my wife drives it mostly, we went for this car as my son also drives it whom is disabled and it fitted what he needs. Hopefully get better over time but pretty disappointed in return to be honest, maybe should of gone for the diesel

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise