Poor Starter

tully

Jul 21, 2014
Rural Devon
Hi Everyone

My 2000 1.9 tdi Bammy has never been a very good starter, especially if it's been sitting all weekend.
Last Autumn I replaced the battery in preparation for winter and I've recently replaced the glowplugs.
Even so, if it's been sitting for 48 hours or so it still takes about 4-5 turns of the starter motor before it fires up.

Is there a way of testing the rail that attaches to the top of the glowplugs?
When I removed it, some of the plastic surrounds broke off but the metal contacts seem to click onto the plugs well enough.

Any advice is most welcome

Tully

Andy Neo

Jan 2, 2015
mine is 2005 has does the same,although I recently replaced the battery and its alot better.I did read on here when I first got mine ( 2 yr ago ) that it may be something to do with a worn starter or lazy starter as someone said ( never heard of lazy starter before but hey ).but check to make sure the the alternator is charging the battery properly so's to be at full power, as I've found that before I changed the battery, and I done a motorway drive, it started fine the next day.

tully

Jul 21, 2014
Rural Devon
Thanks Andy

This weekend I parked up on Friday and by Sunday it was as if the battery was flat. Little power and the clock & trip had reset to zero. I jumped it of the "old" battery.
I can't think what might be discharging it, no lights left on etc...
I should get my alternator checked out, I think :(

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise