Poorly LCR - Sticky icky clutch! ideas?

andyGbeatz

May 24, 2006
Hampshire
Has anyone experienced sticky clutch problems on their LCR?

Just recently over the last month, my clutch began to stick on its way up. In the last 10 days or so its got really bad! As I would go to push down on it, it felt like you were pushing air as if nothing was actually there, felt really light - then, again it would stick on its way up once tryin to put it into gear!

Took it to the garage, they bled the clutch fluid which was apparently very mucky and had little of. He replaced the fluid etc and everything was back to normal, it drove beautifully and only cost me £38 - happy days!! UNTIL the following day driving on a dual carriage way slotting into 6th and bang the clutch gets stuck again this time quite bad - had to really yank my foot under it! Its worse than it was as pretty much none of the gears were going in without crunchin!

Been told it might possibly be the clutchs primary cylinder? not guranteed though?

any ideas??

Thanks in advance!!

AndyHazza

Ex-Awesome GTi Staff
Mar 30, 2005
Bolton
www.awesome-gti.co.uk
Sounds like the master cylinder yeah, its the easier one to change first - it could be the slave cylinder but that is in the gearbox and a pig to fix. Is the pedal still pushing down though? It hasnt snapped the clip on the pedal has it?

CRAIGLCR

THE DADDY!!!!!
Nov 14, 2005
STOKE ON TRENT
yep master cylinder or slave cylinder mate!!!! went on mine not long back!! slave cylinder inside gearbox so gearbox off jobby!!!! my advice is to change the clutch whilst the gearbox is off!! thats wot i did, just to save money in the long run!!!

andyGbeatz

May 24, 2006
Hampshire
Sounds like the master cylinder yeah, its the easier one to change first - it could be the slave cylinder but that is in the gearbox and a pig to fix. Is the pedal still pushing down though? It hasnt snapped the clip on the pedal has it?

Hi, yep the pedal is still pushing down - and it sometimes whilst im driving will go back to normal. Ive no idea about the clutch layout is the master cylinder expensive to fix. Any idea what cost i'd be looking at.
Dont want to be paying over the odds..

Thanks

Mitchy

TTRS
Oct 12, 2004
This may sound really stupid, but are you 100% sure its not catching on your mat? If the mat repositions itself, the clutch pedal can stick momentarily.

Quite a few people have asked this question and found it to be their mats in the way of full movement range of pedal.

You'll kick yourself if it is:D ;)

Mad Spoons

Spoons
Jun 27, 2005
Yorkshire
I had the master and slaves changed on mine as it did exactly the same. hope its under warranty as it cost me nearly 400 quid to get mine sorted as its the gear bag housing has to come off.

longman

Stumped!
Mar 13, 2007
Nr Maidstone, Kent
I have heard of a similar problem but when they go to the car in the morning, the clutch pedal has sunk to the floor. Would this dictate the Master or Slave cylinder? You can just lift it back up again but it obviously means there is a leak somewhere.

Andy, if the pedal is getting gradually easier to press it could be the signs of the same symptoms above

I am sure there are other posts about this on here.

andyGbeatz

May 24, 2006
Hampshire
I have heard of a similar problem but when they go to the car in the morning, the clutch pedal has sunk to the floor. Would this dictate the Master or Slave cylinder? You can just lift it back up again but it obviously means there is a leak somewhere.

Andy, if the pedal is getting gradually easier to press it could be the signs of the same symptoms above

I am sure there are other posts about this on here.

That was exactly the issue i faced in the morning! thats when its most prominent!

guy at the garage did he say he checked for leaks and couldnt find any... well the parts should be coming in next Monday, im hoping for hassle free inexpensive fix! fingers crossed

andyGbeatz

May 24, 2006
Hampshire
The below is an interesting read mate. Hope you don't get the same problems with the pressure plate but it seems to point to the same issues you have.

http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=123331&highlight=clutch

cheers! Slightly worried, theres a lot of talk about changing the actual clutch, pressure plate and bearings.

several hundreds pounds difference between the slave and master cylinder!!:blink: I hope this guy prediction at the garage is right!!

will keep ya posted!

longman

Stumped!
Mar 13, 2007
Nr Maidstone, Kent
cheers! Slightly worried, theres a lot of talk about changing the actual clutch, pressure plate and bearings.

several hundreds pounds difference between the slave and master cylinder!!:blink: I hope this guy prediction at the garage is right!!

will keep ya posted!

Yeah, please do mate... I will be interested to hear the result. Hope its not the slave as that sounds like a nightmare! :banghead:

Although, I do agree that while the G/B is off, might as well do the clutch and bearing kit if the car has done a few miles. Hopefull it won't come to that though!

Good luck!

dramosuk

Yep would be Master or Slave Cylinders. Funny thing i have had the Master replaced twice now and recently the slave and all the problems happened after car service at Seat! Oh and they sugested replace clutch. Cost me £600. I was conned i feel but couldnt drive the car to another garage as couldnt change gears anymore!

Mar 5, 2007
OK THEN! Leon faults :)

For a supposedly well built car though, it does have it's fair share of faults...

Anyway, shouldn't you be off fitting your new stair lift darling? :)

RobM

Back from the dead...
Sep 27, 2006
Southampton
Every car has faults, common ones too. I think the fact you can count the Leon ones without reaching double figures says a lot about it's quality.

And.... :p

Mar 5, 2007
I dunno. I've had trouble with mine so far, I guess that's part of the reason. Also because I'm used to Asian cars.

I mean i don't think there is anything major with the leon.

But things like:
coil packs
water leaks
failing sensors
failing valves
leaking pipes
creaking suspension.
Oil leaks (in my case)
Creaking brakes
Creaking dash
pulling to the left
Paint work

etc.

Little niggles, but they all add up, and you can expect most of them to happen to your car at some point in it's life. That' just doesn't happen on jap cars unless you're very unlucky.

I guess it sounds like Im slating the car, I'm not! I love it, but I would question anyone who says the build quality on these cars is particularly good. The main engine block and mechanicals themselves maybe solid, but the sub components are poor and let the side down. :(

RobM

Back from the dead...
Sep 27, 2006
Southampton
The things you have just listed aren't just Leon specific... half of those apply to any car in the sub-£20k bracket made in the past 10 years! Jap cars have notoriously thin paint, all cars in this bracket creak and rattle over time, suspension creaking is hardly a new invention, oil leaks the same as are failing sensors.

The only things out of that list that you could call a common Leon problem are coil packs, water leaks and a couple of very specific sensors (MAF, coolant, Temp sender).

The rest is part and parcel of owning cars and I guarantee any car in the Leons price range will suffer from them as well :yes:

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise