Position of Cold Air Feeds

Feb 27, 2007
Behind Wilko
interesting read, i sort of knew about high pressure points before i looked for a place for my cold air feed but i think we are all (LCR owners) very limited to where we can actually site a good one.. im fairly sure mine is in a decent position and i wont be moving it..

RobM

Back from the dead...
Sep 27, 2006
Southampton
This was posted up a short while ago I think and created a good debate. Some interesting points in there.

Last edited:

lc_allan

Northern Monkey
Sep 15, 2006
Can someone answer a quick question?

Does the standard airbox in an LCR have a cold air feed/scoop?
When lurking about the engine the other day I had a quick look but it seemed the box had a round hole at the base which was open. Didn't have time to full look but am not sure if it just collects from the bay etc??

RobM

Back from the dead...
Sep 27, 2006
Southampton
Yes, it does. It comes in through the right hand side grill next to the 'S' badge.

With the bonnet open, have a look behind this grill and you'll see a black plastic box like thing. This goes off to the right, behind the passenger side headlight and then into the black tube leading to the right hand side of the air box. That's your air intake :)

lc_allan

Northern Monkey
Sep 15, 2006
Cheers Rob, I was late for work one day and was checking the oil. Forgot all about it until I saw this thread. :)

HarveyGTI

always found a good place for an air feed is to cut a hole in the arch lining and feed the pipe into that, like you do with the dynatwist kit

Feel

Veedubya 'velle
Jun 12, 2003
Midlands
What, where all the road crud, grime, grit and water is? Not IMHO.

I have a completely unproven theory about low mounted cold air feeds and radiated heat from hot tarmac too.

Reactions: Sam’N’BenR210

HarveyGTI

What, where all the road crud, grime, grit and water is? Not IMHO.

I have a completely unproven theory about low mounted cold air feeds and radiated heat from hot tarmac too.

erm and what do you think placing the filter does at the front of the car then, the air is cleaner is it?

Hence the word "filter" is being used to stop this stuff entering the engine

If you dont want dirt etc entering the engine, although it wont, then dont put a cold air feed onto the induction kit, but then it removes the point of having one

there will be an element of dirt from any cold air feed, but nothing so bad that will harm the engine

Ruddmeister

Everything in Moderation
Jun 23, 2003
Weston-super-Mare
en.wikipedia.org
If you dont want dirt etc entering the engine, although it wont, then dont put a cold air feed onto the induction kit, but then it removes the point of having one

I just don't understand what you are saying.

Why does adding a 'cold air feed' surely a length of duct?, onto an Induction kit remove the point of having one.

If that's the case then BMC, Dynatwist and RamAir etc are all pointless?????

DPJ

Dec 13, 2004
NN Yorks / Salento
www.seatcupra.net

:D

I had a car a few years ago and the outside temp sensor failed. I couldn't mend it. I bought one of those aftermarket ones and mounted the sensor on the front bumper about 8" off the ground.

On warm days, the temp used to shoot up a bit when you stood still, but as soon as you got rolling, it would settle down to normal. It even picked up the difference between shady patches from rows of trees.

Feel

Veedubya 'velle
Jun 12, 2003
Midlands
erm and what do you think placing the filter does at the front of the car then, the air is cleaner is it?

Hence the word "filter" is being used to stop this stuff entering the engine

there will be an element of dirt from any cold air feed, but nothing so bad that will harm the engine

Nobody mentioned putting the filter at the front of the car, just the intake. But, yes the air would be cleaner, because the wheels in the arch would be flicking up road crud and water.

Obviously that's why it's called a filter (but thanks for explaining :rolleyes: ), but if it gets blocked with dirt it becomes less free-flowing. The more quickly it blocks, the more quickly performance drops off, or the more often you have to clean/replace it.

Feel

Veedubya 'velle
Jun 12, 2003
Midlands
:D

I had a car a few years ago and the outside temp sensor failed. I couldn't mend it. I bought one of those aftermarket ones and mounted the sensor on the front bumper about 8" off the ground.

On warm days, the temp used to shoot up a bit when you stood still, but as soon as you got rolling, it would settle down to normal. It even picked up the difference between shady patches from rows of trees.

I've never measured it totally scientifically, but I feel there is a marked difference between the ambient air temp at 24" off the ground, compared to 6" off the ground, on a hot sunny day.

DPJ

Dec 13, 2004
NN Yorks / Salento
www.seatcupra.net
TT arch vents are constructed so that water doesn't get thrown at the back of the intercooler. Putting a CAI into the wheel arch would turn your intake into a very highly efficient water and crud collector.

HarveyGTI

Nobody mentioned putting the filter at the front of the car, just the intake. But, yes the air would be cleaner, because the wheels in the arch would be flicking up road crud and water.

Obviously that's why it's called a filter (but thanks for explaining :rolleyes: ), but if it gets blocked with dirt it becomes less free-flowing. The more quickly it blocks, the more quickly performance drops off, or the more often you have to clean/replace it.

oh right, of course, the cars in front of you dont flick dirt and mud do they towards the front of the car:rolleyes:

it will get dirty, but not blocked, thats what filter cleaning products are for! oh unless you are talking about a filter getting blocked which will never be cleaned. i presumed of course that people clean their filters as part of their car maintenance

Feel

Veedubya 'velle
Jun 12, 2003
Midlands
Jeez. Wind your neck in!

Of course there will be more crud get flicked up inside your wheel arches.

Obviously, I don't mean totally blocked. Obviously a dirty filter flows less than a clean filter, obviously that's what cleaning products are for.

The cleaner and drier a filter is kept, the longer it'll perform better and the less you'll have to clean it.

Anyway, whatever.

Mar 18, 2003
In oncoming traffic
Visit site
Still wondering myself if you could point maff more toward front of car then fit filter and hose straight to grill, so filter sat next to battery ish? must Have a play with cardboard oneday!!! perhaps a tip with a bend at the filter end? mmm weekend?

777cupra

Jan 12, 2007
Buckinghamshire
Harvey I think you may of miss understood the aritcle, basically the idea of having an air intake at the front of the car is that air flows into the air intake more as the car moves along. There is more force to the air hitting the front of the car than in somewhere such as the wheel arch. I cant explain it better than the guy does in the article.

I think although you may be abe to source cold air from the wheel arch, a foreward faceing one is much more effective. As far as dirt being taken into it, my own view would to be to look at how dirty your wheel arches are compared to the front of ur car where the standard intake is located.

everyone is entitled to thier views and having not used a wheel arch CAI myself I can only offer my best guest so no offence intended or anything

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise