possible best mod eveeeer

bigbadjay

Jul 16, 2011
North Manchester
Best possible mod eveeeer! Glad it was warm when you took the plunge! your a credit to this thread myman

Just a quick question tim, were the replacement struts long enough/similar to the oem ones?

Last edited:

LeonCR

Oct 22, 2009
they seem based in Northampton so i think i'll just go pick a couple up tomorrow :)

I shall have a chat with them to about a group buy type thing

Last edited:

Daveb77

Mar 19, 2008
Okay everyone, someone had to take the plunge and the water is lovely and warm.

The struts from the Octavia work perfectly. The ones I used were 1U6 827 550F. Nothing else required, the OEM ball pins and rubber stops don't need to be changed. Cost on the Internet was £40 including postage. Video link below

This is on a FL Leon where the struts are 515mm long (tip to tip) or 495mm (centre of ball cup to ball cup). The pre FL uses different OEM struts and I don't know the length of them.

Quality work boss. One daft question though, does this mod make the tailgate harder to close? I.e. need to hang onto the boot to close???

Sorry for being a dingbat!!!

D

LeonCR

Oct 22, 2009
Right done a little bit of research

The forces are as follows

1U6827550F Eject Force [N] = 515
1U6827550E Eject Force [N] = 500
1U6827550G Eject Force [N]= 550
1U6827550H Eject Force [N] = 565

all have a length of = 492mm

Aug 20, 2010
Gosport. Hampshire
Right done a little bit of research

The forces are as follows

1U6827550F Eject Force [N] = 515
1U6827550E Eject Force [N] = 500
1U6827550G Eject Force [N]= 550
1U6827550H Eject Force [N] = 565

all have a length of = 492mm

Mine will fly open then lol good work mate

Last edited:

LeonCR

Oct 22, 2009
1P0827550 that's what on my Leon at the moment apparently has Eject Force [N] of 320

TimSawf

Jun 26, 2011
South Manchester
Had a slight hiccup this morning. When I tried to pop the tailgate, it was reluctant to open, it opened about an inch then hesitated. What I didn't realise was yesterday it was nice and warm, about 20C, whereas this morning, it was about 8C. I wonder if the temperature is having an affect on the gas pressure.

The rubber stop buffers are adjustable so I just lengthened them a little. Before I adjusted them, it struggled but afterwards, it popped straight open. Only lengthened them a little, to about 35mm from the bodywork. Possibly just enough to give it a little extra push to get started.

Just wondering whether the 550G or 550H may be more suitable, not sure if the extra resistance on closing may cause a problem.

Irfan
Nice job with the pressures.

LeonCR

Oct 22, 2009
Right guys went to Stutsdirect today and had a word with the boss

He has said if you order via http://www.metrol.com/ on the phone then he will do the 515n sturts @ 12.72 + VAT

now this is the same company as struts direct
We fitted a set to Andys car and mate a slight change to make them fit better part number you need to give it NS-FF-8-200 515N B3SA B3SA

Now these seem to work great but sometimes doesn't open but then again we haven't fitted any other parts so thinking getting the bumpers should sort this out

Last edited:

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
as Irfan says,

I now have NS-FF-8-200 515N fitted with B3SA ends on and my boot opens! Only thing is i need to get the Scirroco bump stops for it now as sometimes it wont quite open unless you just lift it clear of the latch

Basically it needs some help to the point where the struts take over

My boot has the BTCC Spoiler aswell so is quite heavy

Last edited:

TimSawf

Jun 26, 2011
South Manchester
Been playing about with mine during the day, seeing if different positioning on the bumpers etc made any difference.

What I noticed was that if the tailgate remained closed for an hour or so, it always struggled to open the first time. After that, it opens everytime, no problem. It's almost as if the strut, having been compressed for an hour, has difficulty reaching maximum force. Once it's been extended once, the tailgate opens fully time after time.

Even when it doesn't fully open, it still opens a couple of inches, only needs a touch with one finger to help it on it's way. Still a lot better than the OEM struts.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.