Possible change again

Feb 8, 2004
uk
Visit site
Evening all
After not long back in the fold with a Leon FR 170 we are finding it a bit too small so am looking round. Seems the 2nd hand prices of Exeo's mean you can grab a good car for great price.

Has anyone gone from the CR 170 Leon to either the 170 in the Exeo or the TSI(which seem very rare) and if so how does performance compare?

The Leon is loosening up (only done 7K so far) and its goes OK but I do feel wanting for an extra bit of oomph so if we did get the bigger and heavier Exeo then a remap would definitely be on the cards.

Obviously the nicer interior is a big plus over the Leon. Would be looking at the sport as the sport tech again seems rare in the 170. Come to think of it I think I have only ever seen an Exeo in the dealers!

OLDOILER

Jul 28, 2005
Wiltshire, UK
I had two leon FR's diesel and petrol remapped to 210 & 273hp respectively Exeo is a defo improvement on the earlier 170 pd engine the CR being far more economical at speed. ...............
You may find that the EXEO may NOT have the room you are expecting [ unless you are going for the later build with about 4-6"extra leg room] but it does handle well for a big lump !! and I do curse the 18"wheels on the UK roads, wish I had 17" sometimes but not too often .......!!

cliveseat

May 15, 2008
West Yorks
Got an '09 CR143 Sport in Urano grey (lovely colour - do they still do it?) a few days ago. Quite swift and a sharp drive, on first impression, but might go for a re-map when funds allow, provided it's not too punishing on fuel and insurance. Sixth gear is higher on 143, which helps motorway mpg, but isn't much use anywhere else. Very firm ride on 18s but calms down as speed increases. But you get good, grippy seats and smooth handling in return, although the steering could do with a bit more heft - in my opinion. Bet the 170 and petrol 211 are fantastic but the 143's a nice compromise if fuel and VED are issues.

Feb 8, 2004
uk
Visit site
Cheers chaps. Will have to have a proper poke round and a test drive. To be honest one of the main reasons I'm looking at the vw group still is due to the remap option as other cars i'm looking at like the mazda 6 185 sport cant really be remapped and anything with a bigger derv lump start getting pricey in terms of actual car, tax etc.

Irksome

Feb 27, 2011
Sorry to jump in late on this thread but I think I can pretty much answer your question ...

I came from a 57 plate A3 3dr 170PS TDI (S-Line) to an ST Sport Tech 170 - pretty much comparable specs.

I've done 3K in my Exeo, compared to 20K in the A3, but already I am getting over my initial impressions and realising how accomplished the Exeo is in comparison.

OK its not as light, and I really notice the weight when braking, this is the first thing I will spend some cash on, as I want more braking power, and specifically a slightly greater bias to the rear when braking.

Power wise, well initially I was a bit disappointed, but now I've learnt how the CR engine needs to be run compared to the PD I have just as much fun. Most people think I am irresponsible, but I'm happy that my driving is relatively safe, and enjoy thrashing my car around town on occasion. When I get onto the open road, its not really so relevant ... but there was one trip that sticks in my mind. Somehow I got to drive about 10 miles on what I think is the most perfect stretch of road in the UK, in an empty car, with a fantastic sound track (I still haven't sorted the media formats for my SD Cards, but what I have on their comprises Gnarls Barclay, Aloo Blakk, Pink Floyd and a weird band called Warpaint who sit next to the Beach Boys???).

Wow WHAT a drive. Amazing weather, great scenery, and pretty quiet roads. There were other cars, including a Maserati quattroporte, but mostly they were minor inconveniences. Yes its a front wheel drive car, and I wishes it was a rear wheel driven car or had Quattro, but for £25K less I can deal without the Quattro or a decent spec BMW (ie M5 estate). The front does wash out when pushed hard, but there is a bit of warning, and the ESP works as it does on all VAG cars. The balance is however very good, and I can with attention just dance the front and rear tyres on the limit of their respective grip, especially on left handers (thats my deficiency I think, not the cars), and balance my steering with the throttle in 3rd to 5th gears.

The tyres I have could be better (Bridgestone RE050's), I might go for some Michelin's next time (won't be long!). I will chip the car in a few months but for the time being I can get more than enough speed quickly enough for my mainly aggressive city driving that I only ever get bothered by WVM.

However I must caution you ... I'm not convinced about the build quality ... the paint is thin, and today I can hear a rattle somewhere. That's why I got the car new - and paid (in part) with a credit card. When it goes wrong it will be back at the dealers (including the rattle) and in 3 years time I will shift it for something newer ... I won't loose as much in the next 3 years on depreciation (10-15K) as I would have buying the (not so nice) new A4 model I had intended to get (20 - 25K).

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.