possible clutch issue

Hi guys

last week when sitting at motorway cruising speed i put the foot down in 6th gear
as soon as the car came on boost the revs raised from about 3.2k to 4k then dropped back to 3.5k and boosted with no problems

is this signs of the clutch starting to show tell tail signs of being on the way out?

its a 2003 LCR on 67k with a revo stage1 map, forge 007p, milltek cat back & K&N apollo
as far as i'm aware the car is still on its original clutch

also if this is the case, which clutch have any of you went for on replacing?

OEM or uprated?

all comments appreciated

hey man,

i cant talk from the lcr point of view, but on other cars that i have experience with -

ye it sounds like it to me, a quick test to see if its slipping would be to accelerate whilst slowing the car down by gently braking with your left foot (make sure no one behind you though lol) the revs should slow along with the car, if they shoot up then the clutch is slipping.

this isnt scientific and im no mechanic, but saw that no one has replied so thought id try help, let me know if it does.

on the last note this braking test is probably not good for your clutch, especially if it is going, so make it a brief trial.

JamJay

California Bound
Certainly sounds like clutch slip to me. I wouldn't worry so much just yet if it's just started to happen but keep your eye on it for sure as it's likely to get worse. Depending on your driving style, this may happen sooner rather than later. The way in which you drive your car or the way in which it has been driven before your ownership are big factors in how long a clutch lasts, if driven hard alot of the time then I would suggest upgrading to a Sachs Organic Clutch which should cope with the extra torque of that remap however, if you're a fairly sudate driver with only a few spirited drives here and there, an OE replacement should suffice and probably last you for a long time to come.

Mr Rob

that is your clutch on the way out. soon you'll find it doing the same in 5th then 4th...... i got about another month out of it before it was doing it in 3rd too. Will be picking it up today hopefully and looking at a big bill as flywheel had gone, and master cylinder was changed as they couldn't bleed the system after and it's taken them 3 days so far. :cry:

JamJay

California Bound
that is your clutch on the way out. soon you'll find it doing the same in 5th then 4th...... i got about another month out of it before it was doing it in 3rd too. Will be picking it up today hopefully and looking at a big bill as flywheel had gone, and master cylinder was changed as they couldn't bleed the system after and it's taken them 3 days so far. :cry:

That's one thing to note, leaving a clutch to completely die can take the flywheel with it also. That's an area that I am not so clued up on, I know that there are plenty of replacements out there but i'm unclear on which ones are good or whether you should get dual-mass or single-mass.

Jun 16, 2008
defiante clutch slip!!!

mines been doing it for the past few months, its a pain becuase you cant get the most out of the map.

Im looking for an upgraded clutch cos i can easily see this happening again if i went for a standard one.

looking at about 1K easily.

dentist

Feb 21, 2009
i think ive got the same issue, LCR with a stage one custom code map. 62K on the clock.

First started during the snow in Jan, was slipping in 6th/5th/4th but now its only slipping in 6th.. odd right? because shoudn't it get worse?

Dent

Muttley

Catch that diesel!
Mar 17, 2006
North Kent
keirravn wrote

ye it sounds like it to me, a quick test to see if its slipping would be to accelerate whilst slowing the car down by gently braking with your left foot (make sure no one behind you though lol) the revs should slow along with the car, if they shoot up then the clutch is slipping.

Unfortunately many modern cars with fully electronic engine control ("drive-by-wire", no mechanical connection between the accelerator pedal and the engine) cut the engine power when the brake pedal is pressed. You might try using the handbrake, but this rarely has enough power to slow the car down.

To the original poster, yes, you have clutch slip, and you need to find out why. It could be wearing out, or it could be contaminated with oil, though the first is more likely.

keirravn wrote

Unfortunately many modern cars with fully electronic engine control ("drive-by-wire", no mechanical connection between the accelerator pedal and the engine) cut the engine power when the brake pedal is pressed. You might try using the handbrake, but this rarely has enough power to slow the car down.

To the original poster, yes, you have clutch slip, and you need to find out why. It could be wearing out, or it could be contaminated with oil, though the first is more likely.

true, the lcr does have an electronic accelerator but braking (as far as i can tell/unless somethings wrong with mine) doesn't cut the power, it would be useless for heel toe down shifting if it did! :funk:

leon cupra r

Back in an LCR!
Nov 10, 2009
Barnsley
true, the lcr does have an electronic accelerator but braking (as far as i can tell/unless somethings wrong with mine) doesn't cut the power, it would be useless for heel toe down shifting if it did! :funk:

They do cut the power off mate! when accelerating if you put your foot on brakes just enough to put the brake lights on, after about 1 second delay the throttle is deactivated untill about half a second after you take your foot off the brakes!

Bignod00

Nov 9, 2009
Lincoln/40,000 ft.
Unfortunately mate that defo sounds like the beginning of the end for your clutch! Same hapenned to my DERV! Started in 4th, than effected 5th and 6th, eventually 3rd too so went for a replacement before it took the whole system out totally!
Sorry to say it mate but its not going to be cheap! Upwards of £1000!:censored:

They do cut the power off mate! when accelerating if you put your foot on brakes just enough to put the brake lights on, after about 1 second delay the throttle is deactivated untill about half a second after you take your foot off the brakes!

ye, so, er...

just tried this, and i am a doofus:blahblah::redface:

your absolutely right bud, apologies to anyone who followed my rubbish advice lol!

tbf i think the confusion i had came from the delayed cut off, so HT driving still works, and i do reckon if you accelerate hard and gently brake your clutch would initially slip a little if it was on its way out, but since my clutch is fine i really can't say for sure.

anyway the point is moot cause people who DO know have answered the original question.

but thought i should make a manly admission to being so wrong :foot:

dentist

Feb 21, 2009
been quoted £580 all in for clutch and dual mass fly wheel fitted, sound about right?

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members