Possible Gearbox Issues?

chrisash32

Altea Driver
Oct 17, 2007
Hi Guys...
I have a feeling i might have a problem on its way with my gear box....

But my first question is... how do i know if it needs oil? do I get a warning light?
Also, on the 2.0PD 140, if any other owners look down into their engine bay at the gear box, can they see a hole in the top of it and like a huge toothed wheel under it? I am trying to work out if a screw cover has come off the top of mine or if it is supposed to be like that...

Literally my problem is, recently I am finding it increasingly harder to get into gear when moving. i.e., clutch in, deselect current gear, then as I go to select the next gear I have to give it some push to get in. almost like there is a bottle neck as you go to select the gear.

Any thoughts?

Cheers
Chris

Indy

MK1 LC Red Devil :)
Sep 8, 2005
Uxbridge
The hole you see at the top is normal, its actually supposed to be covered with a plug. You can order that plug and fit it yourself.
The "toothed wheel under it" is the pressure plate (thats the view you will normally get on all or most of the gearboxes)

The most likely things that can go wrong with having a problem selecting gears could be that your pressuer plates gone or there is a problem with the gear selector. Im no professional but these are the common causes.

Another thing to check is when you press the clutch is it very hard? May be its a case of checking the oil level in the gearbox if that below the required level than that could cause problems.

chrisash32

Altea Driver
Oct 17, 2007
The hole you see at the top is normal, its actually supposed to be covered with a plug. You can order that plug and fit it yourself.
The "toothed wheel under it" is the pressure plate (thats the view you will normally get on all or most of the gearboxes)

The most likely things that can go wrong with having a problem selecting gears could be that your pressuer plates gone or there is a problem with the gear selector. Im no professional but these are the common causes.

Another thing to check is when you press the clutch is it very hard? May be its a case of checking the oil level in the gearbox if that below the required level than that could cause problems.

my clutch is very hard compared to the Leon I drove the other week.... but its not compared to our Lupo...

I was worried that the hole was letting crap into the gear box! Thus causing me problems...

My next big question is... how the hell do you check the oil? Never had to do it before...

Cheers
Chris

Indy

Sep 8, 2005
Uxbridge
To check the oil you will need the right size drain plug which looks like a big hex key arond a size 10 or 12.

When checking the oil the car has got to be in level, so Jack up the car and have it all on stands or have it on a ramp. Take off the plastic cover from the bottom, around the gear box (usually facing the radiator) there should be a bolt horizontally screwed into the gearbox. Open the bolt and if the oil begins to leaking from it then that means there is enough oil if not then you have to top it up until it starts to spill.

The oil check and adding should be done when the cars cold. Make sure you tighten the bolt back on properly, dont use too much brutt force otherwise you may kill the threads on the bolt.

chrisash32

Altea Driver
Oct 17, 2007
To check the oil you will need the right size drain plug which looks like a big hex key arond a size 10 or 12.

When checking the oil the car has got to be in level, so Jack up the car and have it all on stands or have it on a ramp. Take off the plastic cover from the bottom, around the gear box (usually facing the radiator) there should be a bolt horizontally screwed into the gearbox. Open the bolt and if the oil begins to leaking from it then that means there is enough oil if not then you have to top it up until it starts to spill.

The oil check and adding should be done when the cars cold. Make sure you tighten the bolt back on properly, dont use too much brutt force otherwise you may kill the threads on the bolt.

ok thanks, and if it does need topping up, where do i do this?

cheers!

Indy

Sep 8, 2005
Uxbridge
From the same hole where you open the drain plug from.

If this needs topping then you need at least 1.25metres of hose pipe, push the pipe into the hole and pour the oil from the top. you might need more than 2 hands on this job. One person to pur the oil from the top and the other to check from the bottom. When the oil begins to spill quickly put the drain plug back on.

danderton

is this a simulair problem to what i am having

, i find that sometimes my gear stick loses its spring and therefore find it hard to get into gear. i only have this problem once the car has got hot, and the gear stick comes really stiff hence losing that spring feel. any idea's what causing this? is it the end of my gear box?

Indy

Sep 8, 2005
Uxbridge
Is that a 6speed or 5 speed.

From what i know the 6speed gear boxes are solid and dont easily brake.

You could try changing the oil for a start as its a 8 year old car.
By the way do you struggle with the clutch or is the peddle hard when engaging the gear?

danderton

Is that a 6speed or 5 speed.

From what i know the 6speed gear boxes are solid and dont easily brake.

You could try changing the oil for a start as its a 8 year old car.
By the way do you struggle with the clutch or is the peddle hard when engaging the gear?

its a 5 speed. i dont tend to struggle pulling away but find that when pull away in 1st sumtimes makes a rubbing noise. it does go once engaged. is this related?

when it does go stiff, if i was in 5th gear or any gear and dis-engage, the gear stick will stay to one side not spring back to the middle.

hope this helps

thanks for the advice

Nov 2, 2006
Annaghmore
bebo.com
Chris, im thinking it is about time to look a replacement car? Instead of fixing! On topic then. Would an oil change on the gearbox do any harm, replace wit high quality motul or equivalent?

chrisash32

Altea Driver
Oct 17, 2007
Chris, im thinking it is about time to look a replacement car? Instead of fixing!

But i have a new found love for fixing...........
...... just wish it was the easier of the two cars to fix!!

I get allot of people say to me, i never have any luck with cars, its the way i drive them etc etc.. 5 years of driving and the Altea is my 5th car...
Some may say that's crazy, but when you do 40k+ a year, i am seeing all the issues most people would see in 4 years of motoring.

I plan to keep the Altea another 12 month or up to 100k, whichever comes first...

Indy

Sep 8, 2005
Uxbridge
its a 5 speed. i dont tend to struggle pulling away but find that when pull away in 1st sumtimes makes a rubbing noise. it does go once engaged. is this related?

when it does go stiff, if i was in 5th gear or any gear and dis-engage, the gear stick will stay to one side not spring back to the middle.

hope this helps

thanks for the advice

It sounds like the shifting linkage needs looking at. It could be that the nylon bits in the linkage are worn out... hard to tell like this without seeing them.

Indy

Sep 8, 2005
Uxbridge
Chris, im thinking it is about time to look a replacement car? Instead of fixing! On topic then. Would an oil change on the gearbox do any harm, replace wit high quality motul or equivalent?

Its not a bad idea changing the gearbox oil but performance oils dont really make alot of difference if your car is for dialy driving on the roads... If you do want to change your gearbox oil then also look at Silkolene Silktran which is quite good and may be cheaper.

Speak to the chaps at www.opieoils.co.uk they woudl be able to advise you better.

danderton

is this a simulair problem to what i am having

, i find that sometimes my gear stick loses its spring and therefore find it hard to get into gear. i only have this problem once the car has got hot, and the gear stick comes really stiff hence losing that spring feel. any idea's what causing this? is it the end of my gear box?

turned out that where the links link to the gear box, was seized so once it got hot it wasnt budging. bit of grease and sorted.

cheers for advice