Potential clutch / pedal issue?

jammygit

Sep 23, 2019
Yesterday I got into my car and I noticed that the clutch pedal was lower than usual and engaged lower down as well.

I couldn't actually remember how it felt before only that it now felt different. The clutch pedal was physically half was down compared to the brake pedal.

This morning I decided to have a look at the pedal and gave it a pull and it pulled upwards. It's now level with the brake pedal, staying there and with the correct feel of resistance. The clutch now engages right at the top of the pedal now, all because I pulled the clutch pedal back up by hand.

Can anyone tell me what the problem might be? Is the clutch on the way out? It's the 2008 PD170. New clutch only 40,000 miles ago.

I've got a full (10,000 mile) service, would it be worth upgrading it to a major service for an extra £50 and see if they pick up anything? One of the 'extras' in the major service is clutch operation.

Last edited:

Jester

Aug 17, 2018
Probably a faulty clutch master or slave cylinder. My guess would be the slave is on the way out.
This is assuming a thorough check for leaks has or will be done prior to looking at that.

jammygit

Sep 23, 2019
Any way to check that myself? Also, how can I find out which transmission I have?

On the 02S, 0AF AND 0A4 transmissions its easy peasy, but for the 02Q transmission you have to open the gearbox to release it from the inside.

Last edited:

jammygit

Sep 23, 2019
Looks like I'm unlucky, I have the difficult one. Taken it for a spin, feels nice, no issues. Strange. Oh yea, no leaks from the slave either.

Last edited:

ZiggyEP3

Jan 28, 2013
UK
Could be what I had. The slave cylinder pipe (not the slave cylinder itself) on the outside of the gearbox was slowly leaking and the clutch would work then not and then back on again. Pedal would stick halfway down and was having to lift it the rest of the way with my foot. Pipe replaced and all was OK again.

jammygit

Sep 23, 2019
Haven't had a problem since but have a major service tomorrow so if they're not useless then they should pick something up

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.