Potential new CAI for Mk4

Ant FR

Feb 15, 2005
Kent
having a lookround the engine bay yesterday and i think it may be possible to fit the air filter down below the battery area. Byt running a pipe like you get on the carbonio filters down there and running an open cone filter, something like a green or ram air one. There seems to be emogh room, just need to make up some guides for the pipe and get an idea of mounting brackets.

But gonna do this over christmas as will get bored sitting in, then go to get someone who can bend 80mm stainless steel into shape think my old man can do that, as he managed to make up a brand new Power steering rail on my old fiesta Si.

dunno gona have a real look over christmas and see if its feasable. but may be too close to starter motor etc which is also in that area.

The second option is to work out a version of the 206 WRC intake. Basically a vent in the bonnet which when closed sits over the air filter, i have seen 2 variations of thee, one is where the vent joins to the airbox and the other not pictured is where the vent encloses the ope to air filter in the bay.

206_wrc_04.jpg

206_wrc_05.jpg

STOCKY

Audi TT 225
Oct 6, 2004
N.Ireland
Sounds very interesting!

If its under the battery surely there is not going to be cold air able to get here!

With the headlight and bumper blocking airflow!

Maybe totally wrong but would like to know???

T. Spark

Ive considered this myself, both options actually... id really like to know how you get on with this, and might be asking for your expect knowledge when it comes to doing mine!

Keep moddin :p

stoneyfordNI

GGG GGG GGGIGITYYY
Jan 9, 2005
Lisburn NI
dunno wat the 1.8T is like ant but 4 us diesel drinkers i have a cunning plan , involving junking the airbox , a samco 90degree reducing bend onto the turbo facing front of the car. an enclosed filter n flexy ducting to the standard slam panel duct , straight thro between the battery n engine , gonna measure 2moro possibly if i get time

Jan 14, 2005
Cannock/Wolvo
Just bear in mind Vibrations when mounting the air filter in a different position, because vibration is know to F%$k MAFs up. try and use antivibartion mounts if you can

Aug 1, 2005
Cullompton . Devon
The only way i could have got the CDA filter to fit better was to get the battery fitted in the boot but buy then i already had a boot install fitted which left about enough for a can of coke to go in the boot.Like you said though it did the job plus the CDA filter sucks like a bitch anyway.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members