Power folding mirror "overfolding"

mjstokes85

Diesel Power
Nov 14, 2005
Long Eaton
My drivers side power folding mirror is what can only be described as "overfolding". When I fold it in it is fine, when I fold it back the motor doesn't stop it at the flush point but keeps going, so the mirror is pointing forward almost. I am guessing there's some kind of stop inside that the motor feels resistance and stops. I realise very few people have these mirrors on the MK4 so not sure if anyone else would have had the same issue :blink:
Thanks.

NickyJam

FR - gone, not forgotten
Mar 17, 2008
SW LONDON
My drivers side power folding mirror is what can only be described as "overfolding". When I fold it in it is fine, when I fold it back the motor doesn't stop it at the flush point but keeps going, so the mirror is pointing forward almost. I am guessing there's some kind of stop inside that the motor feels resistance and stops. I realise very few people have these mirrors on the MK4 so not sure if anyone else would have had the same issue :blink:
Thanks.

my cousin's got the same issue on his mk1 leon (same teardrop style mirrors) and unfortunately you'll need to replace the whole mirror as it's not something as simple as replacing one catch/bolt

I've tried resetting the memory by disconnecting the battery twice and to no avail

Last edited:

mjstokes85

Diesel Power
Nov 14, 2005
Long Eaton
Just been playing about with them at lunch time, looks like at some point (before I owned the car) the mirror has been hit and some internal plastic has snapped and a screw gone causing the mirror to sag a bit, gonna try fix it tonight!

mjstokes85

Diesel Power
Nov 14, 2005
Long Eaton
cool, i firgured it'd have to be something like that. do you have the part number by any chance?

I didn’t get a genuine one as they are over £100, go to a website called AEP direct and get them from there, power folding heated mirrors are about £40 and they are identical to the originals, I’ve replaced both of mine now from them.

kanyewest

Oct 4, 2018
NW
I didn’t get a genuine one as they are over £100, go to a website called AEP direct and get them from there, power folding heated mirrors are about £40 and they are identical to the originals, I’ve replaced both of mine now from them.
thank you, ill have a look now!

edit: looks great: http://www.aepdirect.com/wing-mirro...-separate-primed-cover-p2568?category_id=4340

rather than paint this, will it be easy to swap my plastic cover over to this mirror?

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members