Power Steering gone, very heavy steering, help!

MK8

Whilst driving round a bend ina carpark yesterday, got a wierd feeling, like a tyre had gone flat because of the noise, and my steering became very heavy. And since then, the power steering has completely gone and the whole feel of the car is very strange, the steering is very heavy, but heavier at random times.

sometimes i can hear the a very very quiet grinding (Sort of) noise at low speeds.

Can anyone tell me what it might be?? Im quite worried about it, today going into a side road the steernig beccame extremeley heavy and i completely over shot the corner into the the other lane! And ive got a 100 mile journey to do in the next couploe of days and dont want to make it worse.

The seering light is not on the dash, can anyone tell me what it is? power steering fluid???

Any help much aqppreciated, geting quite worried.

Guinness

Finally got the BMW
Nov 29, 2006
Newcastle
shoudlnt be the pas fluid level if everything is good, think its under the battery anyway mate if you want to check. But never had to replace or heard of anyone replacing that fluid or well rather topping it up

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
first thing is to check/top up the power steering fluid
if it needs topping up then you have a leak
the reservoir is under the battery with a green lid

Guinness

Finally got the BMW
Nov 29, 2006
Newcastle
mate honestly I wouldnt like to be driving with failing power steering. Would take it to the garage asap but check the level if its crap then top it up and that shud get u 2 the garage find for a check over

Guinness

Finally got the BMW
Nov 29, 2006
Newcastle
that wud be why then mate, I could udnerstand low being slightly normaly, but empty u can almost be certain there is a problem. But atleast toping it up should get u around ok

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
let's hope not

the pump was prob running dry so I'll keep my fingers x'd for ya

when you can check all the power steering pipes/unions and fittings as you deffo have a leak

rashcupra

MV AGUSTA & 1.8T DUB MK4
Oct 15, 2006
crawley
if the problem persists when fluid is topped up and the leak is sorted then the pas codes need clearing on diagnostics kit. Had a ibiza fr come into work the other day went over a tree and the pas lights and airbags went off needed the pas light resetting and the pump worked again

MK8

well after topping it up, after one or two seconds after turning the car on, the pas kickied in again. But that was yday eve, just cecked and its nearly empty again! Spoke to my dealer, he wasnt service, but 'guessed' the job as about £60-80. Going to check with my local mechaninc on the price.

RASHCUPRA: The PAS light hasnt come on the dash, do i still need to get the system resetted? If i do i'll have to take it to a dealer i guess.

Must be a quite large leak, its emptying quickly! I'll probably keep a bottle spare in my car whilst doing couple i have to over the next week

rashcupra

MV AGUSTA & 1.8T DUB MK4
Oct 15, 2006
crawley
is there any fluid on your drive after you topped it up?? if light isnt on the dash then no resetting is not required

rashcupra

MV AGUSTA & 1.8T DUB MK4
Oct 15, 2006
crawley
ul beable to see it throu the snow or ontop of the snow could just be a lose pipe or something cheep fix so dont get too worryed at the mo

MK8

Just an update, got a quote from the garage this evening, they want £600!! They say it needs a new steering rack?!? I never thought it could cost so much, I'm going to take it to a dealership and see what they say and also Inde-Tech. I hope its not the steering rack, is there any way to tell if you need a new steering rack. Apart form heavy steering, there was nothing else that seemed too obvious.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.