Power steering issues

JBRADY95

Jan 8, 2018
York
Hi,
Im new to Ibizas but Ive got a Mk1 LCR and a MK2 FR 170 TDi and been around VAG for years so sort of know my way about them.
Just a quick one, wondering if someone can offer some advice. I was given a 1.4 Ibiza 2006 by a friend who was going to scrap it because it had lost power steering. I took it on as I thought it would be a quick fix and I could shift it on for some money.
So at the weekend I replaced the power steering pump, the fluid obviously, all the fuses on top of the battery and the battery itself and still not working. Theres an orange steering wheel light on the dash but no fault codes coming up on my code reader. Would anyone think a failing alternator could be the cause? Other than that, im out of ideas.

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Stupid question. Is it just the light that needs resetting? Does the power steering actually work now?

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Not sure on this particular model, but I assume the pump is belt driven. Have you checked the aux belt, tensioners, etc?

JBRADY95

Jan 8, 2018
York
Not sure on this particular model, but I assume the pump is belt driven. Have you checked the aux belt, tensioners, etc?
Its not its an electric pump just behind nearside fog light. As said in post, replaced this full unit and still no luck.

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Have you taken it for a drive afterwards? Turned the lock fully left / fully right? Wondering if it's like when you disconnect the battery and you have to do that to reset it.

JBRADY95

Jan 8, 2018
York
Have you taken it for a drive afterwards? Turned the lock fully left / fully right? Wondering if it's like when you disconnect the battery and you have to do that to reset it.
Turned it lock to lock many times yes as thought maybe it just needs bleeding and new fluid pushing through, after many times, it still doesnt work. Have taken it for a drive yet though but not sure what would sort it? Don't want to put strain on the rack

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Can you clear all codes and see if it comes back? I don't see what driving it would do either, but it won't hurt it as it's designed to be perfectly driveable without power steering should it fail. I was just going on this from VWs website:
"Turn the steering wheel fully left, then fully right, and drive for a short distance at 15-20 km/h. The lamp should go out."

Edited:
Reset it by eg, disconnecting the battery. Then take it for a short drive.

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Failing that, steering angle sensor? Broken or needs recalibrating. Oh, and have you checked the battery/alternator voltage?

JBRADY95

Jan 8, 2018
York
Failing that, steering angle sensor? Broken or needs recalibrating. Oh, and have you checked the battery/alternator voltage?
Cheers for the help. Ive stuck a new battery on it but still no different. Next point of call was the alternator but might try driving it! Also steering angle sensor could be something else to check! Can it be removed, cleaned and refitted? Or will it just need a new one?

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Cheers for the help. Ive stuck a new battery on it but still no different. Next point of call was the alternator but might try driving it! Also steering angle sensor could be something else to check! Can it be removed, cleaned and refitted? Or will it just need a new one?

Yeah, at least driving it first is the cheap option LOL. Don't think the sensor can be cleaned, so would have to be a replacement.

Reactions: JBRADY95

R3k1355

Oct 30, 2014
Yorkshire
You'd best get a scan with VCDS otherwise you'll be playing part cannon for ages.

If the power steering not working at all or is it not adjusting power for low speed turns?

JBRADY95

Jan 8, 2018
York
You'd best get a scan with VCDS otherwise you'll be playing part cannon for ages.

If the power steering not working at all or is it not adjusting power for low speed turns?

Its just not working at all. Ive got a code reader, like vagcom, reads engine codes, abs and airbag codes etc but theres no codes coming up

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
JBRADY95, you say that you are checking it with a scan tool or code reader which is like VCDS, so, read off the coding for the steering system and let us compare it with our cars, just to see if it needs recoding.

Remember these steering systems were used with a few different cars, some with a steering angle reader, some with a similar device under the steering wheel, and some with both - so recoding might be necessary, but we can work that out hopefully after you supply us with a full read out from the steering system.

Edit:- from your earlier posting, I think that what you have is a scan tool that is VAG specific, so can read Engine, ABS SRS and Auto Trans only, so no coverage for steering system and so no steering faults being found, providing us with the steering system coding will prove me wrong there!

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.