Power steering warning light!

MikeO

Never say die
Mar 16, 2003
Scotland
Visit site
Hi folks

When I started the car this morning (Ibiza TDI130sport) a little orange light stayed on.! EEEK. Looked it up in the manual and it said "power steering warning light". Turned engine off and restarted and it went out this time. Anyone know if this is something that I should be worried about (car still under 3 year warranty)?

Thanks...

MikeO

Never say die
Mar 16, 2003
Scotland
Visit site
Hi BJM

That was my very first thought. But looked in the manual that came with the car and no mention of where any fluid reservoir is! Also had a good look under the bonnet and could not see anything obvious.

Angusrob

Jan 11, 2005
Tayside
This was a problem I had with mine. When checked for fault codes the service dealer can't find any fault as its reset at the time of restarting. My fault went on for some time before I got it sorted. Towards the end the steering got rather light as if too much assistance.

In the end it was water ingress in some of the connecters. Got the hydralic pump replaced under warrenty and the steering fault hasn't returned and the steering is much much better.

Hope this helps.

BJM

Sep 25, 2005
Houston, Renfrewshire
IIRC its at the back of the engine bay on the offside of the car. Should have a yellow cap on it. Remove the cap and theres a plastic dipstick with levels marked on it. It's an easy check and probably the first place to start.

stoneyfordNI

GGG GGG GGGIGITYYY
Jan 9, 2005
Lisburn NI
is that not the brake fluid gubbins , i thought the power steering fluid resevoir was hidden down low below the windscreen wash resevoir , its a bumper off job to refill it if im right , i noticed it when i was fitting my FMIC , has a green lid if im not mistaken

dont quote me on that tho , but there is deffo a container down there

MikeO

Never say die
Mar 16, 2003
Scotland
Visit site
Thanks everyone. It's not happened again, so think I'll let sleeping dogs lie. Though must admit that I've not used the car that much in the last few days, so I suppose that might be why it's not happened again! I'll keep an eye on it, at least I now know what the light is.

From the picture it certainly does not look like the easiest thing to get at! Not due a service till next February and it's a hundred mile round trip to a SEAT dealer for me these days, so rather hope it's nothing. Think I had more than my fair share of problems in the first 12 months!!!

Thanks again...

Last edited:

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
I only realised there was a PAS fluid reservoir when I got a small-petrol-engined courtesy Ibiza with the battery in a different place to mine, and there it was, directly under where the battery is in a TDI.

ST03VEN

i remember that happened to me once, although i was driving when it happened and my power steering failed, luckily i was only on a 30mph road so i wasnt going fast, pulled over, turned the car off then back on again and it was fine. I had something in the power steering system replaced neways and its never happened again, i had to have something replaced cos it was draining too much power from the batt, i didnt drive my car for 4 days and it drained it lol.

Angusrob

Jan 11, 2005
Tayside
water getting into the connectors was the final diagnosis for my car. New pump and sorted :D

I believe seat tech have a known issue with the steering bellows ? It wasn't the fault on mine but could mean they will look at it under warranty for u?

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
Got me worried now....think I best check mine as it's out of warranty now !

Where are the connectors, on the pump itself ? And is the pump with the fluid reservoir under the battery ?

Angusrob

Jan 11, 2005
Tayside
I wouldn't worry muddyboots. If u don't have the light....lucky u. The annoying thing about this type of fault was it didn't log an error. SO U went to complain (under warranty) and from their perspective the car is normal. If it happens my advice is to get to ure garage (where possible) while the light is on and get the electrics for the steering checked before turning off. We really need an ETKA dig. for ure answers muddy.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.