power

martynpl

Apr 19, 2015
hi ive just bought a ibiza on a P reg the revs go high before i get any power from the engine anyone know whats wrong
:)

Crafoo

Crazy Fool!
Apr 30, 2005
At home
Could do with a more detailed description of your problem.

From what you've said my first guess would be the clutch is slipping and on its way out.

martynpl

Apr 19, 2015
ok the car pulls away ok if i then put my foot on the accelerator the revs go up but nothing from the enginge untill later on just like if it was an automatic. but it also happens when i change into secound if i put my foot down stright away no responds from engine but the revs goes high
if i put my foot down slowly keping the revs down the power comes in but slowly

martynpl

Apr 19, 2015
do u know how much it may cost to replace
or with a bit of mechanical knowledge could it be done by myself

Crafoo

Crazy Fool!
Apr 30, 2005
At home
Hard to say mate.

Closest I can offer you is the cost to have my Mk2 LCR done, all in (including clutch, flywheel and installation) cost me just over £1k

Best thing to do would be to price up a clutch, labour wise I'd say you'd be looking around £250.

If you are handy with the spanners then yeah, certainly could be done at home.

Last edited:

Clazzer

Mar 17, 2014
Stoke on Trent
No disrespect mate, but the fact that you were unsure of what was wrong would lead me to advise you to get it done by a professional. You would need a good tool kit as well as ramps or a lift. Pay someone who knows what they are doing, not sure about clutch prices for your motor but I imagine you'll be looking at over £200 in labour alone to replace. ;)

Last edited:

martynpl

Apr 19, 2015
no disrespect taken mate ur right I wont be doing it ive now looked about and can get a clutch for about 80 quid and found sum1 that will fit it for 90 quid

Cupra Kid

Has a TDI!!
Oct 13, 2005
Chesterfield, Derbyshire
Clutches fitted for a mk2 shouldn't be anymore than £200. No fancy flywheel or hydraulics to worry about. While your at it it might be an idea to replace the cable too as they stretch over time. Mine was £160 fitted five years ago.

Depending on your engine all but the 2.0 16v pull well low down and then tail off fast past 5000rpm, the 16v hits its second cam then and screams round to 7000rpm.

If you don't know the cars history all the service essentials are a good idea, Euro Car Parts are fairly good for parts for them.