Pre-cat lambda heater circuit...

storeyd

Newcastle
Jul 5, 2006
Newcastle
I have the fault codes 17511 and 17524 which both relate to the heater circuit on the lambda sensor before the cat.

Reading past threads, its a good idea to check the wiring and also the resistance in the circuit before shelling out on a new sensor.

Has anyone done this before and can tell me a procedure / pics.

Also could this explain why my MPG seems to have jumped up recently? The petrol price hikes are enough without this on top!

muttly

Oct 1, 2005
Stamford Nr Peterborough
i had the fault code 17513 which refered to sensor B1 S2 which is the post cat sensor and the fault was reported as short to plus

B1 S1 is the pre cat sensor .. if its jus the heater circuit i would imagine it will need a new sensor but its worth checkin the connection where it plugs in

it located at teh back of the engine drivers side.. the plug is wraped in some silver heat sheathing and slots into a bracket on the bodwork and u can see the sensor itself screwed into the downpipe

and it could well be affecting ur mpg as it wont be performing as it should without the heater circuit working

storeyd

Newcastle
Jul 5, 2006
Newcastle
Checked it tonight and I am getting 2.5v across both the connections. Looks like the heater element must have gone and a new sensor is needed.

Does anyone know how to disconnect the connector on the sensor side from the retaining clip which is mounted to the bulk head? I had a look and can't see how to do it.

muttly

Oct 1, 2005
Stamford Nr Peterborough
Checked it tonight and I am getting 2.5v across both the connections. Looks like the heater element must have gone and a new sensor is needed.

Does anyone know how to disconnect the connector on the sensor side from the retaining clip which is mounted to the bulk head? I had a look and can't see how to do it.

i think the whole conector jus slides out of teh bracket on the bulkhead and then u pull the conectors apart

storeyd

Newcastle
Jul 5, 2006
Newcastle
Fitted a new Pre-CAT Lambda last night. A Bosch one, £105 from just Lambda.
Light has now gone out and I have cleared the codes. Fuel consumption much improved.

If you are fitting one yourself without the special tool you will need a short 19mm spanner as there is not much room. I removed the engine cover and intake pipe including the rear mounting bracket to get better access.

I reset the ECU by disconnecting the battery and everything is fine now.:)

Avant4me

Oct 13, 2005
Bristol
Fitted a new Pre-CAT Lambda last night. A Bosch one, £105 from just Lambda.
Light has now gone out and I have cleared the codes. Fuel consumption much improved.

If you are fitting one yourself without the special tool you will need a short 19mm spanner as there is not much room. I removed the engine cover and intake pipe including the rear mounting bracket to get better access.

I reset the ECU by disconnecting the battery and everything is fine now.:)

What did yours drop to, as mine has had lots of problems recently relating to fueling but my MPG has taken a hit