Pre-Facelift LED Headlamps

James_FRwagon

Oct 18, 2018
so, im dissapointed with my headlamps as many people are.

i've set the beam aim to a level which i believe is suitable, but now when i flick my high beams on, it's too high, like the beam is pointing towards the trees ahead and the actual road is barely lit. finding myself using the fog lights to light up the road whilst having the high beams on but it's really awkward to turn them all off when a car is approaching!

So, can you adjust the high beam only aim without effecting the low beam aim? because that kinda sucks if you can't. Meaning my main beams will barely light anything past 20ft infront of me just to have my high beams aligned okay? Bit of a poo design.

Help needed lol.

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
Assuming you engaged your high-beams by flicking the stalk away from you, and not towards you, and all LED units (including low beam) rises up? To be fair the pre-FL LED Leon highbeams have a strange pattern, its like bottom half of the batman logo hehe..especially when the low beam rises up. However, having also driven a Bi-Xenon headlight car (Ibiza), and now another LED headlight car (Volvo V40), of the 3, the Leon had the best (brighest and furthest reaching) high beam. Mine had headlight washers (no winter pack) though. I'm guessing your issue is more the aim and light throw rather than brighteness? As others said, you can manually adjust the 'base' level up/down, on the screws or if you chicken out, you can go to a MOT light thing, and adjust it right and see if it makes a difference?

Reactions: James_FRwagon

GordonMcC

Feb 8, 2017
Ayrshire, Scotland
there are 2 adjustments screws. one above each headlight under the bonnet, a half to 3/4 turn anti clockwise was a good adjustment and easy to do, my wifes Q3 had to be adjusted by Audi as there is no adjusters under the bonnet. I now have the facelift Leon and i do think the LEDs lights are better than my Pre facelift, i did also give these a half turn as i find they aim to low from factory

Reactions: James_FRwagon

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
I wonder whether @James_FRwagon is not used to the pattern of the high beam and lifted low beams to mid-beams? As when the full beam is engaged, the priority is further up and not really lighting up the road directly in front.

James_FRwagon

Oct 18, 2018
I wonder whether @James_FRwagon is not used to the pattern of the high beam and lifted low beams to mid-beams? As when the full beam is engaged, the priority is further up and not really lighting up the road directly in front.

Hah! well, i've aimed them quite well i'd say. still pointing down and all, when the beam rises when i push the stalk backwards it simply just goes too high to even focus on the road a head. it's not far out, say im coming down a hill it lights up what i want to see, but anything else isn't great.

I don't really want to lose the distance on my low beam as i do a lot of country road driving in the morning and night and get dazzled by people with french cars that always seem to have one light on the road and one light straight to my eye ball.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members