Pre-FL Standard radio to RNS 315 or 510??

BHP Addict

Back in a SEAT!!
Jan 31, 2006
Birmingham
Other than a double din fascia and the unit itself....what else do i need?

Also, as I do not already have a nav system, what do i need to do ib order to obtain full functionality?

Couple of things I have read about that I am not sure on...

Battery drain
Recoding through VagCom
GPS aerial
Working steering wheel buttons

Thanks in advance, looking to buy in the next few days once i have decided on either 315 or 510

leonmk2cupra

Sep 24, 2013
+1 here. had a skoda columbus (510) in my previous car a fabia. now i have the cupra its the only thing i miss about it and want to do 310/315 poss a 510 if can find one for the right money. very interested in whats needed where to put the gps antenna etc.

J400uk

Jan 7, 2010
London, UK
It's really easy on a facelift, you literally just need the fascia and a GPS antenna. Very nice upgrade.

Pre-facelift is a bit more involved as the cabling is different for AUX and the safe pin, also you risk battery drain for pre-08 cars. Certainly doable though and if BAP is disabled in VCDS it integrates with the highline display :)

Last edited:

leonmk2cupra

Sep 24, 2013
battery drain, is this overcomeable? we have pretty severe winters here (-25/30) and battery needs to be in tip top.

J400uk

Jan 7, 2010
London, UK
Yep replacement CAN Gateway resolves the battery drain issue for older Leons. Costs circa £75 - £100 normally.

BHP Addict

Back in a SEAT!!
Jan 31, 2006
Birmingham
Yes the can bus gateway needs to be upgraded from the 1.6 to the 2.0.

Its located above the pedals but im not sure of the part numbers of the units i need to buy.

In regards to changing cabling, how different is it? Would i need new connectors?

Last edited:

leonmk2cupra

Sep 24, 2013
i have had the car now almost a week but have only just noticed it has a gps antenna on the roof which looks very much like the oem one my skoda had. so it means the previous owner ran a gps system in the car, so i just need to check whether the car had the canbus adapter updated to avoid the battery drain?

BHP Addict

Back in a SEAT!!
Jan 31, 2006
Birmingham
Possibly. But he could have installed an aftermarket unit. As far as i know the canbus is ok for them.

I may be looking at an alpine and kenwood as id rather spend the extra £100 on a better unit tbh

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.