Presence lights

dm222

Dec 7, 2013
Hi,

So each healight has w5w bulbs. (presence lights)

One of them stopped working (left, got the warning in the dash) and the bulb seems in good condition... removed the other side (right) and put it in the left and sometimes it would work sometimes not.

Then I put the bad lamp in the right side and never worked.

So at that point I was convinced to solve the problem I just needed to replace the left bulb but when I put the good bulb back to the right side same thing happen, sometimes it works and sometimes doesn't...

what the hell is happening? Now I seem to have the problem in both sides... I didn't force anything, removed carefully both...

Just ordered two new bulbs but I don't expect it to solve anything... another soap opera...

Thanks.

Last edited:

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I have not needed to be in that area of these lights, but, how is the bulb fitted into the head light assembly, is it fitted into a holder first then the holder is fitted into the head light? Only other idea I have is that you might need to "open out" the contact wires a bit - I hate that type of bulb!

dm222

Dec 7, 2013
yes fitted into a holder that is crap, that holder is not secure, those bulbs are always moving around with vibrations.

dm222

Dec 7, 2013
Mine has two presence ligjts on both headlights.

The left one are green/brown. But you can see a bit of blue still.

The right side are blue.

Does this have a meaning?

One
72cbe7c74b3469568cd87191de857229.jpg

another

1095e3b713ac16dc8e256f1ac0f462ea.jpg

Other side blue

4096dcd8cccb726accd014961c3f1ac1.jpg

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
I don't know, if they are still the factory fitted bulbs then they will be probably Philips, both the same quality so both the same part so should normally look identical.

When I had problems with my wife's previous 2002 Polo, it was the front indicator fittings that were the problem. That car had no problems with the original factory fit bulbs or the bulbs I fitted when the orange film started to crack and so show white light, I changed them maybe twice, then suddenly the LHS front indicator started to not switch on - every thing that I tried to sort that failed, I reflowed the solder blobs on that bulb, swopped bulbs, tried to close up the bulb contacts in the bulb holder and the headlight, still that light would fail and so was a bit dangerous! I eventually gave in and considered that while that design worked okay at first, it might just have been bad manufacture or bad design that allowed the RHS to work but the LHS to fail frequently - so I modified the fitting, I moved the car's supplies from the headlight frame out to the bulb adapter - making sure that there was enough freedom of movement to allow for the next bulb replacement - not sorted that problem out for ever!

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.