Pressed metal plates! - UK Legal?

Mat

Just been talking about this at work, and thought i'd best post before I forgot. Summat Loops told me other day.

Apparently Dubmeister are making Legal Pressed Metal Plates. They have the BS stamp/code on them, thus making them legal :D

Thought i'd share the knowledge :D

T. Spark

5 minutes worth or research Mat would have saved another useless post ;)

Viking

Insurance co's are crap.
May 19, 2007
Near Richmond, North Yorks
Hey that's cool. But I'm not about to post my documents off to some company just to supply a set of plates (don't trust the postal system enough to do that). So I've just used their "Locate a dealer" system and my nearest dealer is only 92 miles away..... in Ballymena.... Northern Ireland. So, perhaps not so cool.:)

Boo

The original wee beastie
Nov 12, 2006
Eastbourne
I want some pressed plates for shows and photos. However, I dont want my registration I was wanting a skull and crossbones on them. Do you think this is possible in a pressed plate or am I going to have to go for plastic ones :(

andycupra

status subject to change
mmm interesting, infact i may have been to fast to declare these illegal as the link i provided was an old one., which perhaps they have then failed to update?

The current web page (link below) certainly is very certain that they are legal!
http://www.dubmeister.co.uk/

i have written to DubMeister requesting clarification that they have confirmation from both DVLA and the relevant British Standards dept that these are legal.

Ill let you know, when/if i get a response. See post #25 for response :)

Last edited:

Mat

GG: Go to a "sign makers". They will do anything you want. After all, they're classed as signs not plates (they just happen to be same shape and size as plates ;))

andycupra

status subject to change
I want some pressed plates for shows and photos. However, I dont want my registration I was wanting a skull and crossbones on them. Do you think this is possible in a pressed plate or am I going to have to go for plastic ones :(

you can get whatever you want if its for shows only. Whether a skull and crosbones is something they have already for pressing im not sure, (so may cost a bit if not)

Boo

The original wee beastie
Nov 12, 2006
Eastbourne
Cheers guys :D I still cant understand though. Its pretty obvious that the pressed ones are not legal as they dont have a reflective coating on them. Is it really worth all the hassle too ? I only want mine for shows but, still find it odd that people have pressed plates for everyday use.

Mat

again, they may have had them done at "sign makers" and put on their car.

"proper" plate makers usually wont customise them, but if they're classed as signs, they will. As far as they're aware, you have the sign for shows/bedroom wall etc. Up to the customer what they do with them. You also don't need the legal documentation for "signs"

andycupra

status subject to change
Just thought id add that i have received an excellent response from a representative of dubmeister (credit where its due) which is most promising.

Ill hold fire on adding their response until they have confirmed this is ok.

Watch this space.

Last edited:

ChrisCurzon

4WD FTW
Apr 9, 2006
Bolton
got pressed plates from dudmister not long ago for the gf's car they where standard uk lettering and spacing on pressed plate and are reflective look really good to they havent got the stamp to say uk legal but dident have to send documents off so wont have the stamp but wont get any bother as dont look any diffrent from standard plates apart from metal and pressed :).

andycupra

status subject to change
got pressed plates from dudmister not long ago for the gf's car they where standard uk lettering and spacing on pressed plate and are reflective look really good to they havent got the stamp to say uk legal but dident have to send documents off so wont have the stamp but wont get any bother as dont look any diffrent from standard plates apart from metal and pressed :).

Certainly sounds very promising as you say they are reflective looking and ive been reading up on british standards, think i may just get a set :)

lunalupi

...is not a bloke!
Jul 29, 2006
Wiltshire
I have a copy of the British Standard, and they can be any material so long as they conform to certain standards regarding reflectivity, corrosion resistance, flexibility etc.

So if they have been able to treat the metal plates to match, they will be fully legal ;)

Mat

well as loops said, there's a code which they stick too, thus being allowed the BS mark. So if a cop pull ya, just tell him to look closer and say "oh, what's that say there...." nowt he can do then!

andycupra

status subject to change
As i understand it, the BS mark indicates it has been manufactured to meet that specification, not that it actually does.

However in this case it appears that all efforts have been made to meet the specification, and the more i look into it the more confident i get that these would be legal.

So im with aimez on this one, if im happy that they can demonstrate they are legal (or i convince myself) then they have some orders coming their way :)

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.