Pressed metal plates! - UK Legal?

bangoskank99

License Plates

Hi, im thinking of buying some new pressed plates for my car and was wondering if they are road legal. what are the rules on license plates?

Cheers
Greg

andycupra

status subject to change
Hi, im thinking of buying some new pressed plates for my car and was wondering if they are road legal. what are the rules on license plates?

Cheers
Greg
for legality queries please see post numner 25 of this thread. I think my homework on this answers most queries.

In short, if you get the road legal pressed plates from dubmeister they are legal. The other metal plates you may see available are not legal. you cannot get different fonts for example or symbols on the plates and be legal.
Im expecting a clamp down on plates, as of september plate manufacturers are not even allowed to sell 'show plates'!

ohhh - linky ?
link to site: bear in mind you need to send off / turn up with documentation to prove car ownership and your identity.
http://www.dubmeister.co.uk/

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2004
South Wales
Ok, i got a question, has anyone ordered the UK font show plates? The pressed ones, not the legal pressed ones with all the details on the plate.

I'm tempted just to order the normal non legal pressed ones to save the faff.

LEE69

Stage 2 Revo'd
Dec 10, 2004
C\UK\Devon\Torquay
Yes i have, they are in plastic surrounds

dsc03067customfq1.jpg

Red Rum

Using "the fuel of Satan"
Jun 29, 2007
Durham
Dubmeister arent the only ones to do legal pressed plates. I got mine from a place called graig's plates (or something similar, cant quite remember) and they are reflective and have a vin number on them. Mine are in a dodgy font but the UK legal font is available.

DSC_0049-3.jpg

DSC_0027-1.jpg

andycupra

status subject to change
Dubmeister arent the only ones to do legal pressed plates. I got mine from a place called graig's plates (or something similar, cant quite remember) and they are reflective and have a vin number on them. Mine are in a dodgy font but the UK legal font is available.

[/IMG]

so to clarify, the plates you have are NOT legal.

the web site is: http://www.craigsplates.com/ the basis cost of legal aluminium plates is £28.. unsure if this is posted or not. adding a euro badge ads £5!
The legal plates that are sold on craigs plates are a funny shape. The bottom edge of the plate is curved. Not sure i like them.
http://www.craigsplates.com/3d-vision-number-plates

Last edited:

mixupz

Just call me Rash-MIX
Oct 5, 2007
Dirty South East London
hahahah I got pulled yesterday for my plates by a prius full of Police!!! they looked at my plate and said ' you got german plates there mate' i said 'ive just come from a show and have my legal ones in the boot'. he then looked at my legal ones (which arent 100% legal because of anorexic spacing) and checked it up gainst my tax disk and said 'ok be on your way'... may as well just keep your legal ones in the boot at all times...i keep mine fastened with that rubber strap in th boot :D

After getting pulled this morning and getting a £30 fine for my illegal plates i decided to order a set of these.
All you have to do is ring them up and tell them what you're after and they put the order to one side until they get your V5 and Licence come through the post and then they send it all back with your new plates.
They are still giving us discount as well. Also they do a SEAT number plate surround which i've ordered to see what they are like as they don't do the SEAT Munchen Nord ones anymore.

ross p

Back at last....
Jul 13, 2007
Glasgow
www.firstrespondernm.co.uk
After getting pulled this morning and getting a £30 fine for my illegal plates i decided to order a set of these.
All you have to do is ring them up and tell them what you're after and they put the order to one side until they get your V5 and Licence come through the post and then they send it all back with your new plates.
They are still giving us discount as well. Also they do a SEAT number plate surround which i've ordered to see what they are like as they don't do the SEAT Munchen Nord ones anymore.

You ordered from dubmeister you mean? or somewere different?

diss_50

MK4 IBIZA CUPRA
Aug 21, 2007
MM.. interesting - I kept my original plates on behind the spanish plates which are fixed with adhesive pads (I would use the show excuse too :D). Ive had mine on for 6months and had no probs. Why yous buying german plates anyway? :confused: