Pretty much disable EGR using VAG com - Ibiza cupra PD engine - Now getting 60mpg

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
Just curious but are these adjustments not the wrong way ?

Everyone is quoting figures in mg/strk

If this is how much exhaust gas is passed per stroke then surely the lower the better ??

IE - 220mg/strk would be better than 330mg/strk !!!

Or am i reading this all wrong ?

Lippo

YNWA
May 8, 2006
Formby
Great! I'd never tried this as I'd thought it didn't apply to PD engines.

I followed the instructions on my remapped PD130 ASZ engine using 409.1 and ebay cable and it worked exactly as said (220 mg/h before and 330mg/h after). You can actually hear the engine tone change ever so slightly when you switch the value.

The only strange thing was that the first time I pressed test with the new value the save button was still grayed out.. Lippo.. is this what you mean about not sure if you saved it? I exited and went back in and repeated the process and the save button was now available, so I wrote the value. I turned the engine off and on again and read the value back to make sure it was saved.. which it was.

:clap:

Yeah that's it. I read it somewhere that the cheapo cable and 409.1 was not able to save the adjustment. I did it a couple of times - I don't remember if I was able to save the new value. I'll dig out the cable and check tomorrow.

mentalmechanic

Mar 16, 2010

If this is how much exhaust gas is passed per stroke then surely the lower the better ??

Hi.

The measurement is the Mass Air Flow reading.

When the EGR valve opens, less air passes through the airflow meter, thus the lower reading. The less the EGR valve is open, the more air passes through the airflow meter.

This is how the ECU measures EGR flow, via the airflow meter, as the EGR valve on the PD engine is a purely mechanical device. It has no potentiometer on it so the ECU can't physically see how much it is open.

Hope this helps.

Anyone have an answer to my question though?
:D

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
Hi.

The measurement is the Mass Air Flow reading.

When the EGR valve opens, less air passes through the airflow meter, thus the lower reading. The less the EGR valve is open, the more air passes through the airflow meter.

This is how the ECU measures EGR flow, via the airflow meter, as the EGR valve on the PD engine is a purely mechanical device. It has no potentiometer on it so the ECU can't physically see how much it is open.

Hope this helps.
:D

That makes sense - cheers.

Lippo

YNWA
May 8, 2006
Formby

If I understand it correctly (which I don't so I'm just guessing) it is reducing the amount of exhaust gases that get fed back into the engine, so I assume the reading will go up if the gases are not recirculated to burn them out. :shrug:

Lippo

YNWA
May 8, 2006
Formby
If I understand it correctly (which I don't so I'm just guessing) it is reducing the amount of exhaust gases that get fed back into the engine, so I assume the reading will go up if the gases are not recirculated to burn them out. :shrug:

Looks like I was talking crap.

george130

Mar 6, 2008
Norfolk
I have just done this to my 150 PD Leon 55 plate today. Reading about 355 mg/strk at idle now.

With reference to the above comment by george130, have you had any probs with the car that were related to turning it down? Turbo ok? MPG any different? Any EML come on?

I can't say I noticed a great deal in driveability. Turbo is definately more quiet when boosting at lower revs. Although you can still hear it quite nicely.

Nope no problems at all. To be honest, I can't think it made any difference whatsoever, perhaps SLIGHTLY quicker to pick up? (a bit more sudden on the power)
Turbo seems fine, MPG the same if not better, and no EML as its an 03 and these ECU's don't seem to care!

benuk

Dec 12, 2008
UK
Would an eml show on an 07 pd130 with this adjustment?

If you can successfully change the value via vagcom as per the guide then I would say no as the ECU will expect the value you have programmed.. in any case it doesn't disable it completely, its still there but allows less exhaust gas in.

I think you would only get an EML if you block it off as the ECU detects its not working as it should be.

jscottuk

Yeah that's it. I read it somewhere that the cheapo cable and 409.1 was not able to save the adjustment. I did it a couple of times - I don't remember if I was able to save the new value. I'll dig out the cable and check tomorrow.

I used the cheapo cable. If it greys the save button out after test it is because the number was too high. Go back and try again I think the test will change the number to the highest possible value.
Once you've gone too high the button greys out after test.

By the was, I think my mpg is only slightly better, it is just now possible to drive more efficiently because the car sounds better and runs better at low revs.. That why I can achieve alot better mpg

Lippo

YNWA
May 8, 2006
Formby
Just checking mine now; looks like it hadn't saved the new value.

It was 32768 & 265mg/str

I can change it up to 33638 which is 350mg/str (approx 539 in the next box) and this allows it to be saved. VAGCOM says that you have to have a licenced version, but I checked again and the new value is stored.

However, just switched the engine off and on again, and the old value 32768 is back...

jscottuk

I'll check mine later to make sure it has stuck. Pretty sure it has.
I think I'm being naughty with my vag-com version. crack applied. :whistle:

Lippo

YNWA
May 8, 2006
Formby
I'll check mine later to make sure it has stuck. Pretty sure it has.
I think I'm being naughty with my vag-com version. crack applied. :whistle:

I know where you're coming from and I think I might have the same version as you...:whistle: however it doesn't seem to save the setting. 33638 allows the save button to work, but VAGCOM still says I need a registered version. The 33638 value stays until I switch off the engine and restart it.

Let me know if your value has changed.

EDIT; checked again, value has reverted to 32768. [:@]

Last edited:

Lippo

YNWA
May 8, 2006
Formby
Fettled it thanks to benuk :clap:.

I've set it at 33638 and I'll see what it's like to drive tomorrow. What have other people set it at?

benuk

Dec 12, 2008
UK
33638 was the max I could set it to as well, it defaults to this when you enter 33768 as suggested by jscottuk. Maybe PD160 engine allows this higher setting dunno.

Sep 3, 2008
Buckie, Moray
Just did it on my fr and worked fine, will see if theres a diff in mpg when im out later. Didnt save first but could the second time like whats been mentioned earlier

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.