Problem with brake lights staying on.

Andybon

BOOYAH!!!
Nov 1, 2007
St Helens
Just been out in the car, got to the end of our road, pressed the brakes and the EML light and EPC light came on. As I looked in the mirror I noticed the 3rd brake light staying on, pulled over got out and looked and all the brake lights were stuck on.

The strange part is, when I turn the lights off, it all works fine, but with the lights on they stay on.

Has anyone else had this problem. Was it an easy fix?

Damoegan

Sir Bob,a geordy legend..
Oct 15, 2007
Newcastle
i had almoste the same fault last month. It was the brake light switch on the brake peddle. The part is only £10

gillberk

If the car is older it may have the brake switch on the brake master cylinder. Normally when the switch is there, there are no relays involved.Remove the wire and see if the lights go out. If they do change the switch, if not you will have to chase the wiring looking for a short.
----------------------------
Gillberk

Used cars

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
If the car is older it may have the brake switch on the brake master cylinder. Normally when the switch is there, there are no relays involved.Remove the wire and see if the lights go out. If they do change the switch, if not you will have to chase the wiring looking for a short.
Gillberk

Used cars

Sorry if I'm completely wrong, but that description above is more suited to a 1960's car - current cars tend to use the brake pedal mounted switch to "talk" to quite a few other smart modules in the car - so it does still point to a brake pedal switch failure - get one from any VAG outlet but use search before fitting it as you might just either break it or not quite fit it correctly!

Damoegan

Sir Bob,a geordy legend..
Oct 15, 2007
Newcastle
Its very easy to fit the brake light switch.

1) Remove the lower part of the dash (the bit just above your feet), 4 torx screws (T24 I think)
2) Unplug the old switch and grip the body of the switch and turn it clockwise (maybe anti clockwise) and the old unit will just come out in your hand.
3) Repete step 2 but in reverse.
4) Refit lower part of dash.

Very easy.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Its very easy to fit the brake light switch.

1) Remove the lower part of the dash (the bit just above your feet), 4 torx screws (T24 I think)
2) Unplug the old switch and grip the body of the switch and turn it clockwise (maybe anti clockwise) and the old unit will just come out in your hand.
3) Repete step 2 but in reverse.
4) Refit lower part of dash.

Very easy.

Yes well I was really only trying to be helpful as I had no problem changing one a few years ago - but a lot of people have reported not having much luck in doing this job - better to be aware of the potential problems than ending up with a new but broken switch or a new but not correctly fitted and still failing switch! The next poster's link has what I was trying to get the OPer to look for to support him!

st10587

i only brake for cake!!!!
Oct 4, 2007
Hindhead
Gillberk

Used cars

unplugginng the brake light switch will make them stay on so you know there is a fault on most new car.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
All it was, one of the bulbs was faulty. Changed it about 2 months ago and its only just shown up!

That is bad form! I'd expect the panel lights to come on and force you to check the bulbs - but to hold all the lights on due to a faulty bulb - the mind boggles. I'd still reckon that you (hopefully) have a faulty brake pedal switch! If not then you have a strange problem - the switch might be working okay at the moment - but personally I would not trust it.

Edit, strange but true, if you check the EPC Light posting it seems that if you fit the wrong type of bulb then this problem can happen - I stand corrected (maybe!).

Last edited:

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Just got to get teh lights turned off, Will get a new switch and replace that for peace of mind

BTW, if you no longer have any faults, these lights on the dash will get switched off after 6 or 8 engine starts, although the faults will still be held in the individual modules memory until cleared by the VAG dealer tool VAG-COM or any other suitable scan tool. Its always helpful to clear stored faults though as multiple identical fault code entries are not logged - only different codes get logged and they do not seem (on VAG-COM anyway) to be date stamped. So if you don't clear all stored faults out of all modules memories then when you have a new fault and do a scan, lots of unrelated codes might be revealed from previous failures.

sk8er_lucky

help

i have this same problem on my mk3 ibiza, it only happens when lights are on.. but also when i brake my front right sidelight comes on too, ive only had the car a month and im finding it really confusing.. can anyone explain why this might be happening?

Reactions: Goran
SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise