Problem with engine revs when idle

lucus79

Hi i'm hoping someone can help, i've had my leon cupra (1.8 T 20V) for about a year, its done about 70k miles but been reguarly serviced and so far its been superb

however recently when in neutral/idle the engine is not keeping revs at just below 1k like it used to, instead every 30 seconds or so the revs drop then recover - but it still drives ok. can anyone think of something obvious it might be before i drag it to the garage and my bank balance gets smashed!

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
This is a common problem on these cars, so it seems. Mine used to do it all the time - spent lots of money on it trying to rectify it, but to no real avail.

MAF is one area to look at though, as these can cause issues if it's dirty, or perhaps covered in oil if you have an oiled air filter from an induction kit.

The dealer changed my MAF a few times before I gave up going to them. I believe they called the problem "hunting".

GREG_R84

Keep right on
Oct 3, 2007
Tamworth
I had the same sort of problem, so i changed the fuel filter and now its fine. i dont think seat have changed it ever since the car was born 5 years ago

sicupra

I had the same sort of problem, so i changed the fuel filter and now its fine. i dont think seat have changed it ever since the car was born 5 years ago

OE fuel filters are life time, suposedly!
Advised they should be changed every 30 to40 thousand tho from an outside source.

sicupra

Hi i'm hoping someone can help, i've had my leon cupra (1.8 T 20V) for about a year, its done about 70k miles but been reguarly serviced and so far its been superb

however recently when in neutral/idle the engine is not keeping revs at just below 1k like it used to, instead every 30 seconds or so the revs drop then recover - but it still drives ok. can anyone think of something obvious it might be before i drag it to the garage and my bank balance gets smashed!

Vag com is your first port of call.
Where abouts are you based?

traumapat

Leon Cupra IHI
Jul 24, 2005
sunny sussex

is this dependent on temp? does it clear once warmed up?

is it all over the place or almost a steady pulse?

Stu4t

Hi Everyone, I have the same idle fault with my leon 1.8 20VT did you guy's find out the problem? I have changed my Fuel Filter recently so dont think its that, any other ideas with poor Idling?

Thanks

Stu

lucus79

Guys thanks for replies -

It's been ok since I posted but I will definately check out the filters

Traumapat: this has only happened a couple of times, but both times after a fairly steady (but not fast) motorway drive of about half an hour or so. So it's not like the engine is cold but it is a regular dip (like a pulse).

Sicupra: South Hertfordshire, don't suppose you know any good non dealer garages in that area?

cheers all

Stu4t

Mine does exactly the same really dont know what it could be going to clean out the airflow this weekend and see if that cures the problem also going to fit the DV f009, if i sort the problem i will post back

cheers

stu

traumapat

Leon Cupra IHI
Jul 24, 2005
sunny sussex
Guys thanks for replies -

It's been ok since I posted but I will definately check out the filters

Traumapat: this has only happened a couple of times, but both times after a fairly steady (but not fast) motorway drive of about half an hour or so. So it's not like the engine is cold but it is a regular dip (like a pulse).

Sicupra: South Hertfordshire, don't suppose you know any good non dealer garages in that area?

cheers all

not what im thinking of then... maff connector would get damp in my car and cause a pulsing on the rev gauge +/- 300rpm... but this cleared as the engine warmed... and this only happened from cold.

hopefully your issue wont return:)

Jan 8, 2020
Got similar problem but when sitting idle the revs was sitting at almost 2k rpm then give it a little rev and it will drop back down again .. any ideas ?

mty12345

Jun 17, 2011
bristol
Got similar problem but when sitting idle the revs was sitting at almost 2k rpm then give it a little rev and it will drop back down again .. any ideas ?

I take it you don't have any fault codes or an EPC light? If not then possibly the throttle pedal sticking? For the revs to be that high and then sort themselves out when you blip the throttle, i can't really see there being many other reasons tbh. I would try testing how the pedal moves with your hands, and lubricate the pivot point, then see if the problem still happens.

(I certainly wouldn't be wasting money changing your coilpacks as i can't see any possible way that could be related)

Alexis27

Dec 20, 2009
Manchester
Misread - thought it was dipping down under 1k. 2k is very high so would think something mechanical like the pedal yes

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.