Problem with fitting genuine roof bars

Jon TDI

Eat My Soot!!
Apr 28, 2003
Round the twist.
Visit site
Tried to fit a pair of genuine SEAT roof bars today. The front ones went on easy enough, but the rear ones would not fit properly![:@]
I spent a good 2 hours trying get them fit. In the end I got so pissed off, I took them both off.
The problem seems to be when tightening them up. The clamp that fits under the roof, keeps slipping off when I tighten it.
The front ones are fine as they have a pin on the clamp that fits into a hole on the car.
Seriously pissing me!!:censored: Was going to take our bikes away to the Lakes for a couple of days, but can't now.[:@]

JC

Apr 6, 2008
I use Thule Aero bars but I think the fitting is the same as the Seat bars - you just push the metal clamp tight against the car and then screw it up. I don't see how the clamp can possibly slip off of the car - sounds to me like your bars are either faulty or have been assembled wrong (or they are the wrong size - for an Altea maybe?). Have you measured the position for the bars - I remember on mine that the instructions gave a very specific position for the bars (and the front one you can't get wrong because as you said there is a little hole to line them up with)?

Jon TDI

Eat My Soot!!
Apr 28, 2003
Round the twist.
Visit site
I use Thule Aero bars but I think the fitting is the same as the Seat bars - you just push the metal clamp tight against the car and then screw it up. I don't see how the clamp can possibly slip off of the car - sounds to me like your bars are either faulty or have been assembled wrong (or they are the wrong size - for an Altea maybe?). Have you measured the position for the bars - I remember on mine that the instructions gave a very specific position for the bars (and the front one you can't get wrong because as you said there is a little hole to line them up with)?

There are 2 marks on the underside of the roof that the clamp should fit inbetween, & I've positioned the clamp inbetween these marks.
I think the feet are pushing the clamps off the car.

JC

Apr 6, 2008
There are 2 marks on the underside of the roof that the clamp should fit inbetween, & I've positioned the clamp inbetween these marks.
I think the feet are pushing the clamps off the car.

I've never noticed any marks, I'll have to look for those next time I put the bars on (although I have used the bars so many times that I have some fairly obvious marks on the top of the roof to line them up with [:@]).

The feet on my bars are shaped so that they fit over the lip on the roof and then the clamp can go tight to the body of the car.

truCido

Race Lupo in progress...
Dec 11, 2003
Bristol
www.vagowners.co.uk
do the bars look sort of like this?

950.jpg

Aug 16, 2007
Wolverhampton
I have the genuine ones and the rears don't sit flush with the body. Mine stick out up to 5mm. Try tightening each side a little at a time, and pressing the brackets against the body.

In my case the real problem was that the roof has become dented under where the brackets sit. It's probably my fault - overtightening or whatever, just be aware it can happen!

Jon TDI

Eat My Soot!!
Apr 28, 2003
Round the twist.
Visit site
I have the genuine ones and the rears don't sit flush with the body. Mine stick out up to 5mm. Try tightening each side a little at a time, and pressing the brackets against the body.

In my case the real problem was that the roof has become dented under where the brackets sit. It's probably my fault - overtightening or whatever, just be aware it can happen!

I tried pushing the clamp against the car, then tightening them, but they gradually slide off.
I wasn't confident on putting 2 bikes on them!!!:headhurt:

Aug 16, 2007
Wolverhampton
I know they don't look very good but I've had mine on for upto 3 weeks and they've never worked loose, the fact that my roof is already dented and I tighten them 'abit extra' to be sure may make the difference though. I've also done motorway speeds and they've not come loose.

Biggest/Heaviest thing I put on mine was some triple extension ladders.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise