Problems demisting windscreen

Sanjay

Jan 14, 2002
Coventry
Visit site
I'm having a bit of trouble demisting my windscreen on these cold mornings....

When I hit the demist button on the climate control the fan speed increases as it should but there isn't the normal hot blast of air that there is meant to be, rather a hot trickle.

I know it's cold so the climate control won't come on (the "*" symbol doesn't come on) but I thought there should still be a blast of air.

I have tried to hit the recirculate button and then manually direct air up at the windscreen and this works, there is a very nice hot blast of air.

However, regardless of the temperature and speed of the fan, there is just a whole load of noise but not much air coming out of the vents (and they are all open!)

I've done a search on the subject and some people have said it could be a an ill fitting pollen filter cover or a blocked intake. Not being a technical person I have no idea where these are. Could any of you nice people direct me in the right direction so I can check these? Or if anyone has any other suggestions as to what the problem is they would be most appreciated!

Thanks a lot ;)

TheOtherSimon

Jul 12, 2004
I think you've got the wrong end of the stick about what the climate control is supposed to do.

If you press the demist windscreen button, the system will speed the fan up to 3/4, close all the face level vents, and direct all the flow to the windscreen vent. It turns on the air con (snowflake symbol) if it's above 2-3 degrees, and uses any engine heat to warm the air. As the engine warms up, so will the stream of air.

Pressing recirculate won't help, since it's them pulling damp air from inside the car to try and dry the windscreen.

If it's not blowing air at the windscreen then your either got a blocked pollen filter, or the air control flaps are broken.

Simon.

Sanjay

Jan 14, 2002
Coventry
Visit site
I know that pressing reciruclate won't help, but the point I am making is that i get more air directed at the windscreen with it pressed than without.

Can anyone tell me where the pollen filter is located so I can have a look if it is blocked?

Thanks

PlatinumR

Arrived and lovin it!!
Jul 23, 2004
Shoreham-by-Sea
If your pressing the windscreen demist button and the fan speeds up but not alot comes out of the top dash vent then I would say it's a director flap problem.
When you did the recirc thing did you try the windscreen option again to see if the top vent stayed open or closed off. If it started to close I would say that its a computer problem.
Check that all vents and directions are shut and only the top dash vent and round window vents are blowing air with windscreen selected.

Last edited:

Sanjay

Jan 14, 2002
Coventry
Visit site
When I try recirc with air directed at the windscreen there's lots of air going to the windscreen. If I then press the demist button the windscreen vent closes and there's only a trickle of hot air. If it is a vent flap problem or a computer problem does anyone know if it is expensive to put right?

TheOtherSimon

Jul 12, 2004
Well I'd start with a new filter, as it's like a tenner. Anything else involved much much more money.

Simon.

matt_s

4 8 15 16 23 42
Dec 23, 2004
Don't put a new filter on straight away. Just try it without the pollen filter. If that solves the problem then get a new one. If it doesn't then you haven't wasted time and money buying one.

Kris

ESTATE! I'm Getting Old!
Nov 21, 2003
North Essex
Visit site
Sanjay said:
When I try recirc with air directed at the windscreen there's lots of air going to the windscreen. If I then press the demist button the windscreen vent closes and there's only a trickle of hot air. If it is a vent flap problem or a computer problem does anyone know if it is expensive to put right?
When you press "demist" you only get 3/4 blow, try press ing the "+" button to increase the blow.

:shrug:

Sanjay

Jan 14, 2002
Coventry
Visit site
Hi Kris,

I've already pressed demist and increased fan speed to full. Still no joy - still a lot of noise from the fan but not much air coming out. I'll try taking the filter out and see if that sorts things out.

Thanks guys!

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.