Problems selling an LCR

mungo

Dec 15, 2002
Southampton
Visit site
My 15 year old immaculate bar some stone chipping shed!
4289ebde2c57027bc560206e38f4d142.jpg
e96ff1621215c7bcd1757f81a1f6ba91.jpg
e9653ed106e89b60ca89d014dd7a63a9.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

That looks really nice!

rogercupra

Sep 4, 2013
Stapleford Nottingham
i really like my car but wish the previous owner was more upfront instead of me finding things out later on, to be fair I'm mostly to blame as was in a rush to get a car as needed it for work

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
No not really. I am discussing the specific value of a car that members on here once cherished but because of the age of Mk 1 Leons, this section seems to now be populated by people who drive cheap fast sheds for a year until the MOT runs out for a few hundred quid.

Not that there's anything wrong with that but the LCR is a bit more special. Problem is the people who probably still cherish them are most likely all on the Mk3 Cupra forum now as those were the people that bought the LCR back in the same day.

This is mostly about the fact that such a fantastic car that should be cherished is now placed in the same category as a cheap shed.

I might keep it and garage it for the day when people seek these out as classics.

I agree with you. The Mk1 section boys have mainly moved on and know where you're coming from. I've been on here donkeys.

This post Just started as a good ad. Even down to colour!

I have a Cupra I'm going to have to part with after 9 years. I just dropped 1400 quid on it in Feb. The car is in perfect running order etc etc. No codes.
I've replaced the .................. ( don't want to sound like an advert Lol. )
It's My pride and joy but probably lucky to get a grand as it's on 150k and rising.
I'll never see it back.
I also agree that yours has been cared for with original turbo etc.
Mine is also on its original bits and drives perfectly.
It feels wrong to have to let it go for peanuts but as said above it's seen as a risky purchase.
Also like you, saving for the kids etc came up instead of giving away so much car for F all. Again insurance will be stupid.

Mine is even more difficult to let go of as it came off the production line on my son's birthday!
And I bought the car in order to put his Recaro kids seat in as my golf gti didn't have issofix fixings
Maybe stick it on track, hill climb or something with it, till it goes bang instead of letting someone who just "wants a cheap car" take it away.
Like you if I had space d keep mine on bricks for now.

Good luck with the sale, as said above Gumtree is best left for old sofas.
If you want to sell it try Auto Trader, Piston Heads etc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Andrewwright

Turbo lover
Aug 16, 2016
Peterborough
Sorry Andrew, not meant as an insult. I can see that you cherish the car you have rather than see it as an MOT for a year.

So difficult to put things the right way in the written word.

The impression I get from other posts on this thread, especially when compared against people's views on here when I posted in 2002, is that the LCR has gone from something viewed as quite special to just another cheap 2nd hand car.

I am quite sure that there must be people out there that view is as a special car but from what I have seen here, noone on the Mk1 forum wants to spend more than £1k on a car regardless of what it is.
It's ok. The net is a funny place. ☺️
But there are some on here lately that have spent a fair few quid on there R. New owner's willing to put time and cash into one so there will be a buyer for you...it's just finding that guy.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
People still want them. Sadly prices are not like old Hondas!
I spent loads buying mine but with 50 on the clock. Then pumped over 1000 strait into it.
We are about,but mileage is key.
It's not the car is seen as junk. Just that you've held on a little too long to get the deserved payout.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

wilfster

Mar 6, 2010
I'm one of the old school, too. Had my R from new in Jan 2006. Much cherished and pampered, just turned 140k, completely original. I think mine is worth more than 2k, but that's because of the emotional attachment. On the other hand, if I was buying one with a cool head I wouldn't fancy shelling out a lot for a high mileage performance car that's likely to need money pumping into it soon.

I'm not planning to sell mine because I know what's likely to happen to it. I haven't looked after it all this time for somebody else to abuse. I budget to spend £1000 a year on top of the normal routine maintenance costs you get with any car. It's lost nearly all of its value, so virtually nil depreciation against what on a newish one? £3-4k a year, maybe more? On top of that I'm driving a fantastic car. One day things will all come unstuck, but there's not much value to lose.

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
I'm one of the old school, too. Had my R from new in Jan 2006. Much cherished and pampered, just turned 140k, completely original. I think mine is worth more than 2k, but that's because of the emotional attachment. On the other hand, if I was buying one with a cool head I wouldn't fancy shelling out a lot for a high mileage performance car that's likely to need money pumping into it soon.

I'm not planning to sell mine because I know what's likely to happen to it. I haven't looked after it all this time for somebody else to abuse. I budget to spend £1000 a year on top of the normal routine maintenance costs you get with any car. It's lost nearly all of its value, so virtually nil depreciation against what on a newish one? £3-4k a year, maybe more? On top of that I'm driving a fantastic car. One day things will all come unstuck, but there's not much value to lose.

True true.
Tbh it shouldn't cost an extra grand a year. My cupra would on average cost 100 or 2 a year over normal costs. Be it a sensor, or a cv joint etc. Never had a huge failure costing a grand each year.
Not saying it won't happen but the average spend is normally a lot less pa. which makes them bloody good old cars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rogercupra

Sep 4, 2013
Stapleford Nottingham
My old cupra use to cost me £300 a month there was so much wrong with it, I wanted a car that didn't really want anything doing to it, then I bought my lcr and that's the same, I need to get the cambelt done and the clutch and sort the suspension out and loads more, the previous owner wasn't upfront about things but my fault too as I was in a hurry to get a car as needed it for work

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
My old cupra use to cost me £300 a month there was so much wrong with it, I wanted a car that didn't really want anything doing to it, then I bought my lcr and that's the same, I need to get the cambelt done and the clutch and sort the suspension out and loads more, the previous owner wasn't upfront about things but my fault too as I was in a hurry to get a car as needed it for work

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Sucks.

Andrewwright

Turbo lover
Aug 16, 2016
Peterborough
£300 isn't bad for the age really. I expect catastrophic failure all the time. mine is pretty good for most if not all stock parts but I do expect the poo to hit the fan very soon....MOT due in 8 days thing is gonna cost more to MOT it than what I paid I reckon. But I can't part with it now...too many parts have been brought to go back now lol. Found an MOT garage that will "overlook" the fact it's stripped out and only here for one thing....it's my "van" officer look I have tools in back

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
£300 isn't bad for the age really. I expect catastrophic failure all the time. mine is pretty good for most if not all stock parts but I do expect the poo to hit the fan very soon....MOT due in 8 days thing is gonna cost more to MOT it than what I paid I reckon. But I can't part with it now...too many parts have been brought to go back now lol. Found an MOT garage that will "overlook" the fact it's stripped out and only here for one thing....it's my "van" officer look I have tools in back

That's the thing. Soon put in what you won't get back so you either keep pumping money in or sack it.

Tools in back. Don't show the fuzz.
Not unless you have business insurance too.
I know a guy who was pulled with painting gear and ladder on roof.
Not insured for business so 3 points and a few hundred fine.
I'm not keen on the guy. So his tuff luck. But be warned.

Andrewwright

Turbo lover
Aug 16, 2016
Peterborough
Good point! Never thought about some silly copper going all official about it. But was only a joke, no tools, no nothing apart from the spare and tools for that, she takes me to and from work to drive lgv all day so no worries on that front.
Only been stopped once and the copper looked in and said nothing...apart from....hope you fix it...blown coil at the side of a road,

markrich

Sep 16, 2012
Stoke
I think a couple more years and they will start to rise with more being scraped mk1 lcr is best looking leon by far

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.