Programming key to immobiliser on 2007 Leon

garym2910

Hi everyone, sorry in advance for the long post!

I am trying to find some information on programming a new key for my 2007 Seat Leon. I have bought a second hand key from a friend who wrote his car off, had a key cut at my local locksmiths and programmed the remote to my central locking.

I bought Super Vag k + can (before I read the bad reviews on it!) to extract my SKC which I have done successfully. I then took the car and keys back to my local locksmiths who had previously told me that if I had the SKC then they should have no problem coding it. They didn't have my exact model on their system but tried with the nearest match, this didn't work and now I have an error code on the dash in the lower right hand side that shows 2-4. I asked if it was to do with the transponder not being a 'virgin' transponder but the guy there thought that shouldn't matter, since taking the car in though I have read several posts that say you can only programme them once and cannot re programme a second hand transponder. I don't know if it was the transponder or that it didn't show my correct model on their system, or maybe both that was causing the key not to programme.

So now I need to get the key properly programmed, does anyone know if once this is done correctly if the error 2-4 will disappear? I can clear faults with the Super Vag device which I have tried, but the error keeps re appearing as soon as ignition is turned on, even with the original key. I have been searching for a new 'virgin' transponder but all the ones I can see only show pre 2006 for Leons. I have had a quote from a diagnostic centre of £15+vat for a new transponder and £40 to programme. I thought this sounded expensive, I have already paid £10 for the second hand key, £3 for cutting and £55 for the super vag k + can.

I have read that vag com can programme keys if you have the SKC but that's a lot more expense than I'd like to go to, unless anyone knows where I can get a working cheaper copy? I know theres plenty on ebay but i'm not conviced that they would do the trick. Super Vag has the option of key learning but have read this doesn't work! I would like to be able to do it myself but don't want to spend a load of cash in doing so. I have searched posts on this topic but most I find are for pre 06 cars.

Any help would be appreciated. Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:

Big Dunc

Oct 4, 2011
Sell everything you have bought so far, and get it done properly by someone who knows what they are doing, using NEW parts.

If you add up what you have spent, and what you are going to have to spend getting the second hand key to work properly, you are already at more than I spent by just going to a main stealer and saying "new key please". It only took an hour, and was hassle free, and they even washed the car (that probably took longer than programming the key).

You can spend hours (and more money) carrying on, or cut your losses and get it sorted by a stealer.

garym2910

Think you are probably right, have recently bought a new blank transponder for £7.50 so if I sell the super vag I have only spent just over £20. If I pay to have it programmed at the other garage I will have only spent £68.50 in total. How much did the dealer charge? I read somewhere that it was about £150 for a complete new key. I don't like giving up, especially when I have spent so much time on researching etc. In this case though I am probably just going to cut my losses and take the key I've got to the garage and pay him to do it.

I did find out that a friend of mine has the official version of vcds and found instructions on how to programme keys for my car, the guy who sold me the transponder said it needed pre coding with component security before it could be programmed to my immobiliser, he also said that my car was immo 5 and not immo 4, can anyone confirm this? When I look on the ross tech website and look under leon 1P it takes me through to instructions on immo 4. Do you need to pre code for immo 4 or is that just immo 5? I probably will have the key done at the garage but just curious!

Aug 16, 2011
Huddersfield
did you get this sorted? i've programmed quite a few mk2 Leon keys & it depends on the chassis number as to if the transponder needs programming with CS info. Generally as a rule if the 10th digit anything up to a 7 then it doesn't need precoding. So if it's an 8 or 9 it will need to be precoded. Which i've got the equipment to do myself

steve7786

Apr 27, 2013
How much would a 3 button remote key cost for a 10 plate Leon, i can't PM yet as my post count isn't high enough. I'm just off J13 of the M42

Aug 16, 2011
Huddersfield
it's roughly a 150 mile round trip for me so you'd be looking at £160 if i'm making the trip to just do the 1 key. However i'm working down South on Sat 22nd June i could make a slight detour from the M1 on my way home in which case it'd be £100 in total

steve7786

Apr 27, 2013
I'm in no rush, i have 2 keys, 1 remote and one plain key as i work down south (winchester) during the week and wold be happier having a spare in 2 places in case i lose one.

Aug 16, 2011
Huddersfield
ok, well i can call in on my back up North if you want. Just let me know so i know how i'm gonna be for time in case anybody else wants me to do the a key on my way back

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2011
Huddersfield
with cars that use pre-coded keys the programming is a 2 part procedure.

Pre-coded keys are also called dealer keys. For example if you had a 2009 Leon the key would be pre-coded. If you ordered it from Seat it would come with the Component Security data already programmed onto the transponder & the blade cut. So then it can just be programmed into the car.

If somebody like myself did the job then a totally blank transponder would be used & I would have to do the pre-coding & the programming of the key into the car

The 1st part is pre-coding the transponder with bytes of data called Component Security that are specific to that vehicle. So software is plugged into the car which searches for the bytes of data. Once found the data is programmed directly into the transponder

The 2nd part is programming the pre-coded transponder to the car with the pin code(SKC)

A blank/virgin transponder will not program to a car that requires pre-coding if it hasn't been pre-coded because the car won't recognise it.

Craig

ragz

Mar 21, 2010
Thanx actionman that cleared alot up
Whats the tp22/23/24/25 transponders about
Is that anything to do with precoding

Aug 16, 2011
Huddersfield
those are transponders for CANBUS vehicles. On older kline models you could just use a normal id48 T6 with any of the 4 VAG makes.

When they introduced CANBUS they made the transponders car make specific so you had to buy the correct transponder for your make of car. So Seat use TP22. Also just because it's CANBUS & say a Leon with a TP22 it doesn't mean it's going to need pre-coding. Pre-coding didn't supposedly start with the Leon until 2008. However i'm sure i've done a 2007.

Most say that pre-coding started in 2008 with most VAG. I've done a fair few Octavia's as early as 2005 that have needed pre-coding. A3's from 2003/4.

It's not particularly difficult to do. You just have to have the correct equipemt which is more expensive then after that it's more just time consuming

ragz

Mar 21, 2010
if you dont mind me asking what do you use to program transponders and keys
iv recently invested in an abrites for dealer level diagnostics(j2534 pass thru drivers)and have been told it can do keys and all sorts

ragz

Mar 21, 2010
Dont reall y want to start doing keys but if my eqipments will do it why not make a spare for my own car lol

Reason i have an AVDI is cause i was initially looking at getting a vaux-com but its costs same as avdi so thought why not since it works with most of the dealer softwares
Now i have tech2win, ford vcm and toyota techstream all working off the same unit at no extra cost
Im a mechanic BTW so comes in use when i do my foreigns

Aug 16, 2011
Huddersfield
you must've bought the most basic AVDI then because the decent key programming package costs way more than vaux-com.

The dealer(pre-coding) key package is just about £6200 at the moment with VAT

rebel69

Dark Matter Power
Dec 10, 2009
Kent
I bought a new key from ebay (£15) a blank blade (£4) and had it cut (£20)

Then take the transponder out of the standard spare key (carefully), insert in the new flip key, code up for central locking and voila a brand new flip key for £40 [B)]

Aug 16, 2011
Huddersfield
yep, a lot of people have done that before. Which is fine if you've got 2 keys so can butcher 1 for the transponder etc but some people do it when they only have 1 key so still end up with 1 working key. Which is just asking for trouble imho

rebel69

Dark Matter Power
Dec 10, 2009
Kent
Ah totally agree wouldn't have attempted it if I only had 1 key but needed 2 as the mrs drives and she weren't having my key ;)

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.