progress pics.. strut brace fitted.

Dolly_Gti

G60 spooling up.
Aug 15, 2006
china town
I know i said i was going to take pics as i went along, but i got carried away did the job and took no pics.. heres the finished product though lol!

DSC00092.jpg

DSC00093.jpg

all i did was place the brace in position, use a 1/8 drill bit and drill the holes, then remove the brace.
Then used first 3mm then 5mm (i think) Drill bits on the holes, put the brace back on and bolted up..Didnt fit the rear most bolts on the front as they are difficult to get a drill in.

chappersno1

Mar 11, 2007
lookes good mate im goin to be doin the same to mine but after ive stripped the back and ploncked a cage in it.

good job though

Electro Ted

GTi Ted
Dec 15, 2006
Wokingham, Berks
Dude.. your engine bay is far too clean. But you car has onlt done about 33k so that's allowed.

So going to be cleaning mine when I get the time.

Struts look great. I have an OMP front one. Don't think I'll bother with the rear to be honest but would be interested to hear about any improvements it might make.

Dolly_Gti

G60 spooling up.
Aug 15, 2006
china town
28k ;) ... well i fitted it the same day and one week after fitting my suspension, so 99% of the improvment is just the springs and struts.. strut brace looks nice but unless your using your car on track days i doubt youd notice?

jamiepyrite

Jan 21, 2007
How such a low milage?! Let me guess, one owner.. an old lady who used it to nip to the co-op once a week? :D

Mckellar

in saying that though, uber low milage isnt always good, can cause early damge to parts if its only been driven once a day to the shops a mile away for 8 years..

im sure your looking after it though ;)

Ben16v

Jan 8, 2007
Glastonbury
www.gmvw.co.uk
Strut braces are a good buy. Not overly expensive but helps the car sit squarer mid corner as opposed to flexing. I noticed a big improvement when pushing my car along. Feels so much better and id recommend fitting a rear and a front like in the pictures.

Hoping to get a lower one soon as well which should further help. Although for obvious reasons a cage is the way to go ultimately.

Dolly_Gti

G60 spooling up.
Aug 15, 2006
china town
id agree, ive sat in a metro with a roll cage, before the brace were fitted.. if you put you rest your arm on it and put you fingers over the top bit, round bends your fingers would get squashed, after the braces were added it didnt do it.. all about stopping the flex.

nice story 2 :) ... also the low mileage is because the guy who had it before me bought it for turning into a full blown rally car, unfortuantly for him he also met his misses at the same time.. it barely moved in 6 years! but just enough to keep it ticking over

Ben16v

Jan 8, 2007
Glastonbury
www.gmvw.co.uk
Everything is fine apart from the brake fluid reservoir. You can do it but christ is a fiddle!!!

Expansion tank when cold and hard to undo can be a painfull one, especially when you slip and it opens and you get knuckle on strut brace action!! [:@]

F2 Stu

I. Am. Legend.
Oct 4, 2001
Crawley, UK
Visit site
I had to deform the tube as I could unscrew it a few turns but not unscrew it completly - strange as OMP listed it for the 16v.....

DSCF0045.jpg

If you look its still rather close

Ben16v

Jan 8, 2007
Glastonbury
www.gmvw.co.uk
That is very strange. Just been out to look at mine and there is slightly more room (only about 5mm) from the expansion tank to the strut brace. Cap sits pointing the same way but i havent bent my strut brace at all.

:shrug:

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.