Project Toledo

BJM

Sep 25, 2005
Houston, Renfrewshire
My mate was running this Toldeo for a good few years until it started to let in water. Due to it becoming like a swamp he stuck it away in a lock-up 20 months ago and forgot about it. Just before Christmas I asked him what had happened to it and he mentioned that it was still in the lock-up so we went up to have a look and see what kind of condtion it was in.

We found 4 flat tyres and a dead battery when we arrived - but I do love a challenge!

Here it is as it stood then:
01.jpg

And here is what the interior looked like - as I said - I love a challenge!
02.jpg

Yep - Thats MOULD!!!!
03.jpg

04.jpg

Heres the back window showing how damp the interior was:
05.jpg

06.jpg

So we got it started, put air in the tyres and managed to limp it round to mine. Every warning beep was going off, the radio was making a horrendous screetching noise, the Hazards, Heater, Wipers and headlights weren't working. This turned out to be due to all the water which had got into the electrical components which were later removed and thouroughly dried out.

Got the Daisy APC out and soaked and scrubbed the whole interior. The VAX was then brought out and all the manky water was extracted;
07.jpg

08.jpg

BJM

Sep 25, 2005
Houston, Renfrewshire
The De-humidifier was then put in and left for 3 days to remove as much of the water as possible
09.jpg

Leaving this
10.jpg

Here's some externals
11.jpg

12.jpg

There is a problem with these Toledos and the Leons based on them where the door seals perish and allow water to run into the footwells rather than down the door and out through the drains. On Hogmany, a few mates and I got the door panels off and re-sealed the doors with silicone.

At the start of January the Tolly was taken for an MOT. 90mins later and the tester came back with the news - FAIL! Washers frozen, Number plate bulb out and an exhaust mount needing a tack weld - so they kept it and I picked it up the next morning with a full MOT - Result.

Advisories were 2 Tyres, Front Bushes, a bit of accident damage to the FNS Wing and a new battery.

Heres the accident damage, primarily to the FNS Wing:
13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

So this was sourced from ebay;
16.jpg

Old wing off and new (Used) wing on in around 90mins - all panel gaps look good and as the wing came from a similar age car, it blends in really well!
17.jpg

BJM

Sep 25, 2005
Houston, Renfrewshire
Here are a few more of the exterior
18.jpg

19.jpg

20.jpg

21.jpg

22.jpg

23.jpg

After these were taken I chucked a bucket of water over it and stuck it back in the garage.

A few weeks later I decided to takle the headlining:
24.jpg

25.jpg

26.jpg

27.jpg

I started with Autosmart Brisk - didn't touch it - then tried Vanish - better, but still not as good as I wanted. So I went round my parents house and borrowed their little steamer. No Finished pics yet, doesnt look like new but looks a hell of a lot better.

So next up is to re-shampoo the interior including the boot carpet, wash, de-tar, clay, polish with the DAS-6 and protect. I also need the door trim for the FNS - still looking on ebay for that.

Then we'll decide what to do with it - bushes and tyres will be replaced then we'll see if anyone we know is needing a run around or failing that it'll be sold to fund a new disater, I mean project.

We have all decided that once it's finished it'll be going on an Alton Towers road trip!!!

I'll update as work progresses.

Thanks for looking.

Brian.

BJM

Sep 25, 2005
Houston, Renfrewshire
Update - 12/02/2010

Weather was good today so got the Tolly out of the garage and gave it a hoover followed by a good shampoo with the VAX and some Bissell carpet shampoo. Smells so much better now. I also put the Sun-Visors and grab handles back in after doing the headlining.

Next was a quick wash followed by a de-tar with Tardis then a clay with Megs Clay using a 50:50 mix of Demon Shine:Water as a lube. Finished off with a good wash to bring up the swirls in the sunlight! Looking forward to the polishing stage - hopefully starting Wednesday.

Heres how it stands at the moment

Tolly1202001.jpg

Tolly1202002.jpg

Tolly1202003.jpg

Tolly1202004.jpg

Tolly1202005.jpg

Tolly1202006.jpg

BJM

Sep 25, 2005
Houston, Renfrewshire
Cheers mate - mechanically its near perfect, serviced every 10k since new, hopefully I can breathe some more life into i with the DA Polisher!

gb

here and there
Feb 27, 2007
portglasgow
nice 1 buddy good to see you back on here :D will need to catch up with you at one of the meets if your not workin chasing the badies ;)

BJM

Sep 25, 2005
Houston, Renfrewshire
What a difference, that mould was horrid!

Do you have plans to mod it?

Thanks mate - no modding plans - it was just something to do basically - hopefully sell it on for a few £'s and fund a new project.

where was it letting in water to?

Door seals were perished.

nice 1 buddy good to see you back on here :D will need to catch up with you at one of the meets if your not workin chasing the badies ;)

Cheers Greg, I may sonter along to a meet soon although probably not with a SEAT! You still got the R? hows it going?

Deleted member 13581

it was just something to do basically

You want something else for something to do? :lol:

Looks good so far Brian. Big transformation. Just shows the damage that can be done in a short time.

gb

here and there
Feb 27, 2007
portglasgow
Cheers Greg, I may sonter along to a meet soon although probably not with a SEAT! You still got the R? hows it going?[/QUOTE]

still got it and all is fine maybe see you soon than;)

BJM

Sep 25, 2005
Houston, Renfrewshire
You want something else for something to do? :lol:

Looks good so far Brian. Big transformation. Just shows the damage that can be done in a short time.

Cheers for the offer mate but the Mrs has just got a new motor and that needs a polish and protect and my own has been a bit neglected recently so need to get into it aswell!

How you getting on anyways - not been on here for a while after buying the 1'er - as Greig says, I'll need to get along to a meet sometime!

still got it and all is fine maybe see you soon than;)

Yes mate - but hopefully not too soon :cop:

A real transformation. Should be as good as new after you attack it with the DA polisher.

Cheers for that mate - hoping to get on with Polishing this week, Its got a good few dings and scratches, but its a well used 10 year old motor at the end of the day.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.