Project Woodstock -Rust In Peace. Project Sunset begins on post 98 :D

orangemuffin

i love you all.......
Sep 24, 2008
yesterday
OK, so its not a SEAT .....I have gone full on Dub.... but for those that know me its no shock as my plans have been no secret.

Were talking mk3 Jetta's otherwise know as the Vento.

My search began some 12/18 months ago after seeing one parked up. Slammed to the ground and rolling on g60 steels i knew it was the dub for me and I read up and researched the motors as much as i could. As well as a statement a diesel would save me shed loads of cash each month on insurance and gas so it ticked all the boxes.

So, come September time my baby of a mk2 ibiza 16v was sold to raise funds (with a trip to the international seat meet with sc.net as a farewell) leaving me with a mk2 gti 8v as a daily hack. My vento seach took me the width of the land to view shed after shed and i'd given up the hunt for 2009 (after buying one for it then to get written off the night before i was meant to pick it up) but when a chance auto trader viewing turned up a vento in my dream colour with the dream engine (white & 75bhp diesel) i couldnt resist having a look.

I stormed down to london to pick it up 1 week before i was new zealand bound for 3 weeks...not the most practical of timining but hey.....a deal was done with the owner which saw me pick up the vento for £400 :-o. 6 months tax and 6 months MOT was good but a locking fault on the car meant it was mine for a steal....knowing the locks could be fixed for peanuts.

So i got it home and parked on my moms nice big drive and set about ebay to source the following parts.

Coilovers
Badgless grill
New repeaters
New gear knob
New Plates
Alloys
wipers
bulbs

All the normal stuff really..now i must admit some stuff had already been purchased for my first vento and some kit had already come....like the BBS RA rims i picked up with rubber for £120 !!!!! bargain !!!!:funk:

Now this week spells the start of the work to get it ready for spring fest where I hope to show it for the first time....hopefully i can get it looking sweet before then though and maybe ill bring it out on a wednesday to the pureklass dub meet in Cov with you midland sc.neters..

So if its not your cup of tea then fair enough....if you know me then this is for you as i know your keen to see how this pans out.....if you dont know me then enjoy it anyway and please give me feedback on what you think... I hope you enjoy watching whats going to be a long build in progress.

Last edited:

Brummy

Nazi Moderator-Bot
Mar 6, 2005
Moved to the DarkSide
BBS Ra's you say?........ hhmmmmm
hope to see it soon Dan, doesnt look like ill be seeing at Springfest, so its either a trip to yours.a meet over at Ollies or a run to Cov.
:D

orangemuffin

i love you all.......
Sep 24, 2008
yesterday
So here is Project woodstock as it stands

mywhitevento.jpg

not much at the moment with a long list of to do's but i love a challange. First thing first now all this snow is goin is a BIG clean inside and out.

Once clean i cant start to add my touches and get the coilies on. With its new rims (and red dice valve caps) attahced to a killer stance with the help of the new suspension she will be looking sweet and then its time to start spending the money...

although things to fix first are:

a knocking exhaust, broken wing mirror and broken sun roof.

Last edited:

orangemuffin

i love you all.......
Sep 24, 2008
yesterday
BBS Ra's you say?........ hhmmmmm
hope to see it soon Dan, doesnt look like ill be seeing at Springfest, so its either a trip to yours.a meet over at Ollies or a run to Cov.
:D

No spring fest mate ? Gutted.......still with you, Ollie and myself not being on the stand this year it give 3 people who couldnt squeeze on last year the chance :(

orangemuffin

i love you all.......
Sep 24, 2008
yesterday
rubbish !

You will be pleased to know that my long terms plans are not Euro style..i might have to start off that way to fill a void but as soon as things get moving your going to see a beach cruiser theme coming of out it. Nice bright colours ect and maybe, hopefully a surf board on a roof wrack to finish the look off...oh and lots of chrome.

orangemuffin

i love you all.......
Sep 24, 2008
yesterday
yeah, kind off... been on jetta junkies . com quite a bit getting some new idea's and i am sure you have seen my FB vento album....

yep, thats the way its going...

orangemuffin

i love you all.......
Sep 24, 2008
yesterday
cheers flaps. Its been a long time coming and me and my wallet have our work cut out but the money i save on fuel from not driving the 8v should keep things moving at a steady pace.

orangemuffin

i love you all.......
Sep 24, 2008
yesterday
Well its been a long day and its not all good news.

Looks like the cold weather has taken a few engine hoses out. The car wont hold any water at all. The only pipe i can see leaking is this one...But there must be others as the water drains so fast.:cry:

009-12.jpg

Its going in for a service on Thursday and it looks like its going to have to be taken up on a lorry or a trailer.:(

On a brighter note after 3 washes the top layer of grime lifted off the car and it started to look white again after what i am guessing is its first proper wash in some years. Although they have revealed some scars that were before hidden by dirt i dont really mind as for £400 it was never mint and i was under know illusion that it was. Its got a fair amout of rust but no holes, rattle can marks seem to be randomly placed on the rear drivers side door and it has some vey bad paint clipping points......but with the old damaged grill now in the bin and the new one clipped into place, the new BBS Ra's wheels and new clean exterior it really does look like its rolled back the years...Sadly it was dark by the time i got to take me finished pic but you can get the idea..Old dirty plates also binned ready for some new and clean pressed one's

Before....

006-11.jpg

007-16.jpg

after...

010-8.jpg

011-8.jpg

008-13.jpg

orangemuffin

i love you all.......
Sep 24, 2008
yesterday
ha ha,

Started cleaning it at 10:30 and packed away my kit at 6:30. Its been a long day and i am whacked but its been worth it. Just hope now the water retention problem the old slag has doesnt cost me to much.

Cant wait to see it slammed on the Ra's !!!!

allyboy

Jun 28, 2009
nice project mate if it helps had the exact same coolant leak problem and it turned out that the core plugs had popped out the back of the engine block i found this after changing the pipe and it was still draining fast give it a go

orangemuffin

i love you all.......
Sep 24, 2008
yesterday
Cheers mate..

You know i was telling a neighbour my problem and he said the same thing so will have a look as i am off down to see it now. Will add some more pics to.

And at the moment she is a bit of a old slag.....not smelly though Emdee !

I just cant get over how high the bloody thing is. What were VW thinking when they made these things.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members