Puddle lamp problem?!?

sargey

Escaped mental patient
Aug 16, 2006
Weston-super-crapland
I have the dodgiest drivers side puddle lamp. Sometimes it decides not to work. My mate noticed it today, i know its not the most serious thing in the world but his Golf GTi Turbo has just had to have both sides, new door catches as his were not working!

If i was to put the key back into the ignition, turn the ignition on and then remove the key it turns on :confused:

could it be because i have the anti-Hijack feature turned on through VAG-COM?

It puzzles me, all other 3 doors work fine apart from the drivers. Plus i dont wanna have to spend over a ton to get just the puddle lamp working!

His problem was that the puddle lamps didnt work, nor the interior lights when you opened the door! My interior lights work when you open the drivers door

Fidge

SEAT Enthusiast!
Sep 9, 2004
Southampton UK
Puddle lamp is the little light at the bottom corner of the inside door.

Are you sure it is not just a dodgy connection to the lamp!? Maybe connection throught the door loom or connector not properly connected?

I had a problem with my passenger door doing this after taking the inside panel off (which you have to disconnect the puddle lamp to do) it lights everytime now tho without any intervention.... probably a good slam of the door sorted it!

Mar 26, 2007
S.Wales
i might be misunderstanding the question here but dont all the interior lights come on when the ignition is switched off? to allow you to gather your belongings at night before exiting the car?

Jan 22, 2007
some may say lala land....
cheers fidge, never played with mine to stop it working.

@skahigh;
yes all interior lights come on when ignition is of, but the puddle lamp only light when the door is opened and remains open, indicates it is related to door mechanism to me, but i'm mechanic i just drive them

sargey

Escaped mental patient
Aug 16, 2006
Weston-super-crapland
the lights stay on even with ignition on, tested the other day.

the drivers door(when working) works with ignition on and off, its intermittent.

it seems weird that as soon as i put the key in, turn ignition on and then off then take the key out the drivers side works again (all this is with the door open)

i cant undrstand it

Fidge

SEAT Enthusiast!
Sep 9, 2004
Southampton UK
My Passenger door puddle lamp has given up completely now and the interior lights no longer light when the door is opened. I think this is the switch in the lock mechanism!? Anyone know how much this costs? Part numbers and how to fit?

Cheers

FINN

Nov 21, 2006
Northern Ireland - Belfast
Funny enough I was about to post the same question. My lamp on the passanger door is not working, i've swapped it with the drivers door lamp and still no joy.

I am not too fussed about the lamp not working but now the interior lights do not come on with the door opening and, more concerning, the auto lock function is not disabled when I open the passanger door. So if I unlock the car, open the door and close it again the car will not recognise the door as being opened so will auto lock again.

I reckon that it's the door switch that has had it. Given the dark nights and wet weekends recently I have not taken the time to investigate further. The dealer has told me the switch is in the door lock mechanism. I have been looking on ETOS to try and get an exploded diagram of the lock but vagcat.com will not accept my log-on details.

As above, does anyone know:
a) Where in the lock is the switch located?
b) Will I have to remove the lock from the car to get access?
c) If the entire lock will need to be replaced?

Many thanks,
FINN

Nautilus

Dec 9, 2006
Bucharest, Romania
Weird problem with my puddle light as well:

The culprit is the puddle light (red/white) on the rear left door (driver's side in continental Europe). It works intermittently. Usually it does not light when the door opens, but after a few minutes (from 1 to 5 minutes) of keeping the door open.

Checked the bulb, swapped the rear door puddle lamps left to right, tightened the connector, to no avail. Sometimes it lights up when the door is open, but most of the time it still takes at least 1 minute of keeping the door open to light up.

Some blamed the door lock sensor, and a fellow with a TT has already shown how it's changed when it malfunctions here:

http://audittmk1.blogspot.com/2009/04/door-sensor-fix-diy.html

However, the car (or at least the "comfort module") still detects the door is open, since the dome light still lights up just when the door opens, and the puddle light works, but only after a delay.

How does it happen - even if the door sensor is a relay-like construction and it takes time to react, the dome light still reacts as it should from factory?...

Thank you,

~Nautilus

kieran r

hi lads how did you get on with the locking problem? my seat won't lock the driver door with the fob and the interior lights won't come on wheniopen the two front doors. getting a problem now since it is getting dark sooner.

FINN

Nov 21, 2006
Hi Kieran,

I just left it well alone in the end. I had the door apart a few weeks ago to replace the window regulator and took the opportunity to have a quick poke around the lock mechanism. It is just the micro-switch that has gone t*ts up.

As you are local you could give Dave at SERE a bell to check the price of a new lock mechanism or if you are confident enough take the lock out and replace the switch following the guide above.

Finn

kieran r

locking problems

thanks FINN i'll take the lock apart this weekend and see how it works out:)

FINN

Nov 21, 2006
Just warn you in advance, you need a M8 bit to remove the lock from the door. It looks like a torx bit but with twice the number of splines.

Best of luck getting it fixed.
Finn

Nautilus

Dec 9, 2006
Bucharest, Romania
Puddle light stopped working altogether, the light bulb got very little current and could not light, filament only turned red. Most likely something in the door lock switch caused increased electrical resistance.

Solution: replaced light bulb with a LED bulb. It works :D

~Nautilus