Pulled the door handle too hard!

Benji

Dec 29, 2008
Cambs
On one of these freezing mornings, when running late for work i couldn't get into my car as the door was frozen shut.
Being a stupid oaf i pulled the door handle as hard as i could and now it's not sitting flush any more.
The handle itself sits a few millimetres further forward than normal and it's very annoying and i feel so stupid for doing it aswell!

I can't see any way of fixing it other than taking it apart which i really want to avoid through fear of not being able to put it back how it was! That's if it can be fixed by me, or even at all! I just went out to have a look at it and i'm not confident about fixing it.

Has anyone else had this problem?
I'll try to get some pictures but i only have my phone but no usb lead, so i'll have to e-mail them to myself and then post them on here.

BBoy82

Dan the compressor man...
Oct 25, 2008
East Northants
A simple approach...

I dont wanna sound like a simpleton, but have you tried pushing it back!?! it sounds like you have stretched the door skin a fraction.
Dont beat yourself up about it. Its easy to get the rage in crap weather!
:D

Jul 8, 2007
Again dont wanna sound like a simpleton but wat if there is some ice in there not letting it go all the way back in or maybe bit of wd40 an work it back in ?

Benji

Dec 29, 2008
Cambs
I could try some WD40 yeah, thats not a bad suggestion

I did try just pushing it back in, then tried hitting it back in with my palm and neither worked. :(

mjt

Jul 12, 2008
my mate did this on his mk4 golf due to ice, except his sticks out about 1cm :/
i dont think there's much you can do really apart from replace it

Benji

Dec 29, 2008
Cambs
my mate did this on his mk4 golf due to ice, except his sticks out about 1cm :/
i dont think there's much you can do really apart from replace it

I thought that might be the case.
I'd only really want to take it to my nearest seat dealer but im guessing they would charge a ridiculous amount.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.